Thread: While most American are cursing the surging gas prices, Alaska is expecting a tax win

Mayer, Arizona, United States

Default While most American are cursing the surging gas prices, Alaska is expecting a tax win

Alaska gets 90 percent of its state revenue from oil production [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]taxes[/COLOR][/COLOR]. When the price of oil goes up, so does the amount paid to the state. Bryan Butcher, Alaska's Revenue Commissioner, said he's anticipating a tax windfall of $3.4 billion this year, adding to a healthy reserve fund.
    "We're looking at a surplus of approximately $15 billion in reserve that the governor and Legislature could tap if need be," he said.

Read more:

me: i am so happy, even as a non-res, ALASKA gets this instead of NEW YAHK, CHICAGO, LA, DETROIT or hundreds of other domestic terrorist havens, welfare communes and less deserving coffers than where it is dedicated by law to help.
    I view this as wonderful news for ALASKA!

Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush

Not sure what this has to do with resource management, Bilbo.

But if you lived here I doubt you'd really think this is a win for everyday Alaskans. "Royalty" oil comes down the pipeline, is refined in North Pole, and somehow we in the interior often pay more than many other states for the end product. How that benefits working Alaskans who must heat their homes in winter and travel to work is beyond me. I still find it amazing that our constitution demands we develop our resources for the benefit of Alaskans and this kind of thing goes on. Better imo to funnel more of the actual benefits of our oil to the people rather than have the politically-influenced legislature dole it out as they see fit.

Government isn't supposed to make a profit. But that's a discussion for some other forum.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today