Thread: Flags to check wind speed!

Default Flags to check wind speed!

hi guys....during our stay at the marina last week, i kept looking at the marina flag and how different speeds would make it either flop or "crack'!!.....i would like to get one or two for the boat....i guess it is fairly easy to guess up to beafort 3 but after the flag goes straight, it is harder to guess the speed!...so, do any of you guys use these things?...thanks larry

http://www.directhitgolfflags.com/ca...x?categoryID=7
    http://www.redwitch.com/extras/flag_wind_speed.aspx

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

And if the flag pole bends more than 2in go have a beer.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I don't really care too much what the wind is doing. The waves are much more of a concern to me.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Several years ago I put a flag pole out on the bow rail. I fly an Alaska state flag on that pole. Being a geek of the worst sort and really concerned with the cool factor was my main reason for the flag. Boy was I missing it. That flag is now considered one of my more valuable AND useful upgrades, here's why.
    1.When I pull into an anchorage I can immediatly tell the wind condition / direction which is useful in making my set for the evening. We're not swingers but rather of the 2 anchor camp so I like to know my situation from a wind standpoint and get the most bang for my buck in tems of comfort. If there is no wind it's a moot point, the flag confirms that too!
    2. When traveling Prince WIlliam, you will traverse numerous weather patterns. As you leave one and go into another the bow flag tells me what to expect and aid's my trim corrections. This helps when cross winds are encountered and yea, you'll figure it out sooner or later but I prefer the sooner approach!
    3. The flag is a valuable aid when fishing tight areas out of Seward. By tight areas I refering to the popular silver haunts that see a lot of trafic. If you swing into the drift going the same way as everybody else it's more acceptable than racing up, killing the engine and discovering your about to start being in every bodys way.
    4. Did I mention the cool factor?

I don't think you'd be dissapointed with a flag and you may even learn something you could share with the rest of us!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    1.When I pull into an anchorage I can immediatly tell the wind condition / direction which is useful in making my set for the evening. or later but I prefer the sooner approach!
    hi mike...yes, i would say your #1 is the main reason i will be putting a flag on the rail in the bow area!....not sure on the size yet, want to be able to see!!......placing a flag at the stern is no good becuase it will be in the wayfishing....have to check too, about if i HAVE to fly a canadian flag when i venture up into eastern alaska?....lots of time for that tho!

......some of the places i will be going do not have weather reports(large lakes here in BC), so i think it would be good to see at least what the flag is doing in the morning and potentially what the seas will be like down channel?... and yep, there is that geek factor!!!!....thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."