Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Puller Help

Default Pot Puller Help

Ok! Have done all the Research. Know which pots I want. Decided on the puller. Does anybody know where in the Anchorage area you can buy the Safe-T-Puller (by Quality Products NW) Light Commercial Model??? The only place I know of is in Homer. Buying from the lower 48, shipping costs are crazy.

Thanks guys,

Henry

Default safe T puller

Try:
    marita sea and ski
    1340 Rudakof Cir
    Anchorage, AK 99508
    (907) 337-2744

They were selling them at the boat show. I am not certain that it was the Lt commercial model. Give them a shout.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

How much do they run? I got one from Dewey's and it's slow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default safety puller vs ace line hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    How much do they run? I got one from Dewey's and it's slow.
    I believe that Deweys sells the ace line hauler. It is rated at 100 pounds. The LT commmercial Safe T puller is rated at 300 lbs. I never had the safe T puller slow down and I run all 5 pots on the same line in 100+ fathoms. I just checked on line and they run about $1300 without the davit.

AlaskaM5: Now that I think about it, the one Marita had at the boat show was probably the sportsman model.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Pot puller Help

I'll give Marita a call tomorrow. If they handle the Sports model they should be able to get the Lt. Commercial model. There are a few places that you can get them online for a little over $1300. with the davit and wiring. (Not sure if it comes with gunnel mounts) But shipping was $170.00!!! Ouch! Quite a few times in my life I've tried to cut corners, save a buck, and buy cheaper items. Only to have it bite me in the butt and wind up buying something different. I think the Lt commercial model will pull 1 or 5 pots however I decide to drop them.

Henry

The one at the show was the sportman model. $880

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

See that is a good idea with 5. I put two toghter and my puller can pull it up but it's slow going.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I went through the same thing that you are. I went thru www.powerwinch.com. They have refurbuished capstain pullers rated from 65fpm to 125 fpm. I bought the one thats 85fpm for $332 and they shipped it for $25 UPS ground. You can get the davit for $189 and the roller is $35 so you can have a setup for about $500 completed. The one that I bought is rated for 300lbs. more than enough to pull a string. I was suprised how light it is. Any Questions ask.

Default Powerwinch Setup

I like the idea and have been thinking about the same setup. Do you have pics?.

AH

Default safe t hauler

I looked at a couple safe-t haulers in anchorage I am thinking of buying one myself. cac is getting my boat ready for spring and had me go to VIP distribution and talk to norm. they are next to hot wire electric in the buisness park i'm from the valley so i know how to get there but I'm not sure of the street it was a left off tudor pm me and i can get you closer if you can't figure it out :]

Sorry I don’t know anything about the safe-t-haulers, however this is what I bought and where I bought it. All depends on your budget.

I bought a Power Winch “Quick Catch Pot puller” They also a special on shipping (including Alaska ) I have not tried mine yet, but have friends that use them and say they work real well! I’m having an Aluminum davit built that will mount to the corner of my swim platform, should work great!! should be a great improvement over the arm strong method
    I was very impressed with this company, prompt and professional !!

I cant wait to get out there!!

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-loca...17a+1171875320

Default Good Chice

You will like it. I run mine without the davit and straight off the side of the gunwale. Works great. Just wrap the rope as many times as you want around the sheave to create the amount of friction or slipage you like. I did mount my switch on the gunwale face so I could use my knee while I work the rope. Works good and do this with one person. I made a bracket so it sets on the gunwale and clips under to hold it in place. Flush mounted a female plug next to the switch and male plug on the wires for the puller. I take it all down and put under my seat when not in use. The switch was for a trolling motor and the wires were 8 guage.

Hi. I'm doing research on these powerwinchs, Decent price. around 350.00 ....Can you tell me where to get the davit Thanks HS

Thumbs up Greatland Welding & Machine

I have “Greatland Welding & Machine” (3.5 mile, PW Highway 745-2283) building one for me. I had them build a full width Alum swim platform earlier this winter, it has a “pocket” built in for the new davit. They are going to put a mounting plate on the davit for the pot puller. BJ commercial in Anch has pre-built S.S. davits that look real nice, you would have figure out where to mount the puller. The way I’m going to have mine setup, when I don’t want it in the way (i.e. Trolling, Butt fishing) I can simple unplug it and stow it on top of the cabin.

I make it policy not to advertise on any forum but I had a few people today at the Sportsman show refer me to this thread. If this is inappropriate mods, please delete my reply.

By far the beefiest puller (close to commercial) non-collapsible is going to be Safe T Puller by Quality Products Northwest. There are a few places in town that sell them (AKMDS and Marrita) and bunch of places out in Washington (LFS, Redden, SeaMar). I didn't like them due to being gas powered but I've heard that they now offer an electric 12-volt model. Due to several people asking me today, I will start carrying them in under a month or so.

If you are looking to build your own davit, best bet is to purchase some davit mounting kits that you can obtain at either BJ's or from me. The expensive part is the davit itself which if you can find a reasonable guy in town to build you one, aluminum is your best bet. I've been contacting several people out of state and should have a kit eventually. The cheapest route is using an Anchor Lift but I've had mix results.

In case your interested, I'm with Donalson Company.

I've got no problem with posting information of who carries what, even if they happen to be a rep of that shop.

Ross, thanks for the info, that's what these forums are about.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post

The cheapest route is using an Anchor Lift but I've had mix results.

No, no, no. The cheapest route is using your arms!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthRick View Post
    No, no, no. The cheapest route is using your arms!
    I beg to differ. The cheapest route would be using your kid or someone else's!

WAIT........chiropractors aren't cheap

im slowly piecing mine together from spare parts i have lying around.

i found a piece of stainless tubing, and have been thinkin about using some sort of automotive winch motor connected to a secondary clutch for a sled, or riding lawnmower.

lol, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast