Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickaloon trickery

Default Chickaloon trickery

I'm just going to put it out there.. I'm looking around the Chickaloon area to hang a barrel. Im not real familiar with the area, so I have my trusty Gazatteer to help. Now what I think is a public access rd, has private property signs all over it. I ran into a local and asked if he could point out where this trail was and he said "it's on the map" so I asked him politely how to get back to the highway and he offered much more help. Sooo, I'm wondering if they are posting roads out near Chickaloon justto keep people out, OR was I just lost?
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    OR was I just lost?
    My Guess is that you criminally trespassing on someones private property, based on the wording of your question. Those people moved out there so they could be alone, and avoid visitors. They take their privacy seriously, and fully expect others to do the same. This time of year, here where I live everyone parks their truck so as to block their driveway, from hunters looking for a remote "Logging" Road. As a side note, you are luck you did not hear Banjo Music.

You might have been lost but it wouldnt suprise me at all to see people up that whay to just post signs so other people will stay out

Very Much of Chickaloon is in fact Private land.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    Very Much of Chickaloon is in fact Private land.
    Yes, and even adjoining the trails.

Public access out that way is VERY limited. Unfortunately sport hunters (mostly ATV folks) disregard the signs and go in there anyway and it leads to problems. A close family member of mine lives out there and someone even shot their dog. So they are understandably reluctant to welcome outsiders.

And no, they don't post signs on public land. Sheesh.

You're better off finding some public land. Go to the Public Lands Information Office. They have the maps and can fill you in on what's what.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I agree with what Mike said. The people out there have had some real issues with people trespassing. There has been quite a few cabins and homes broke into lately so yes the people out there are wary of strangers. But they do not post signs on public land.

Maybe it is time to rethink the whole "Bear Baiting" program. No, I don't have any ideas. But there seems to be a lot of problems, and not just this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Maybe it is time to rethink the whole "Bear Baiting" program. No, I don't have any ideas. But there seems to be a lot of problems, and not just this one.
    Lack of access to state land is the problem. To many folks/agencies trying to shut others out of their spot is the problem. To many folks/agencies trying to limit means of access, is the problem. It was not that long ago access was easy, the infrastructure that made the access to the current developments has come to a halt state wide. The trails we blazed as young men, now have houses on them, with out the addition of new trails for the access people desire.

A simple look at new zoning plans in the boroughs, show that ease of access is only getting more difficult.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Maybe the Bait Stations need to go on a Limited Draw, or raise the fee to $500.00 The truth is it will only get worse as the population of the state expands, and as fuel costs grow to $9.00 per gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Maybe the Bait Stations need to go on a Limited Draw, or raise the fee to $500.00 The truth is it will only get worse as the population of the state expands, and as fuel costs grow to $9.00 per gallon.
    You are correct it will get worse, but with and low estimated population of 300,000 Black Bears in the state. As well the high return rate of populations that are hunted hard, limiting the hunting of them only leads to unpopular management methods. A good hard look at Baiting in 16, shows the over all bear population is not decreasing, just the size of the bear.

Not that long ago I was walking down a logging Road in SE Alaska. It was all public land and I ran across signs. The reason I was on the road is to walk 8 miles to a landing strip which I would have liked to land at. I suspect the same guy that put the signs up set up 5 barrels (most filled with diesel) on a landing strip. He wanted to keep people out bad...

BTW we shot two bear, rolled the barrels out of the way and flew out a week later. The entire time we were out there it felt a bit creepy as the guy had been doing a lot of trail clearing in the week before we were there (most of the downed trees had green non-wilted leaves on them). Doubt he was suppose to be clearing a trail but he was and miles of it.

A year later I asked the charter pilot about the landing strip and he said the barrels were rolled back on the strip a month after we moved them. Oh well it was a messy place to hunt anyway. What would of happened if I tore apart the log bridges this guy made over 3 wash outs??? Perhaps if he can block the landing strip I should have but I'd rather leave to hunt another day than make an issue in the middle of no where. The only issue that was really disturbing in this is blocking the landing strip.

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    Lack of access to state land is the problem. To many folks/agencies trying to shut others out of their spot is the problem. To many folks/agencies trying to limit means of access, is the problem. It was not that long ago access was easy, the infrastructure that made the access to the current developments has come to a halt state wide. The trails we blazed as young men, now have houses on them, with out the addition of new trails for the access people desire.

A simple look at new zoning plans in the boroughs, show that ease of access is only getting more difficult.
    You would think your tax dollars would fund some of the things you enjoy doing. I'd rather see my tax dollars go into building more trails ... but instead, my tax dollars are likely funding some 'wind turbine project' or some 'abortion clinic' or ... you name it. But 'hunting' is politically incorrect ... and few of the tax dollars will be spent on our behalf.

I would agree that access is a big part of the problem. Lots of public land, but it is getting harder to get to unless you have a boat, plane or ATV.

If there are only a couple ways into an area and one gets blocked by a housing development, it would stand to reason that problems would be encountered.

A number of the areas I used to hunt in when I first moved up here now are private lands with houses on them.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I also think the percentage of us who hunt up here is much higher per capita then lots of other states and lots of us have atvs fewer of us have boats and even fewer planes, although still plenty out there. And yes the areas accessed by atvs are crowded they reAlly need more open access area. I can't speak for the boats and planes but I know if you canmget your atv in there everybodyelse is already there

It's the same on the rivers - access is always a problem and everyone wants to go the same places. I upgraded to a boat to 'get away' from people and ended up finding a new group of people to try and avoid. I don't do well with planes so I'm either going to start hauling my wheeler in my boat or I'm seriously going to consider forgetting the fact I hate the noise and look into buying an air-boat.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I'm seriously going to consider forgetting the fact I hate the noise and look into buying an air-boat.
    Or you could find a guy with an airboat and go with him. I would not mention you hate airboats. One other thing, I have an airboat and its no guarantee you will get a animal you still need to know where to hunt.

Point well taken Mr. Moose; I should have stated 'don't care for'. (My SportJon is loud I suppose so I shouldn't much complain). That said, I agree that outdoor toys don't guarantee success - I just love getting away from people and enjoying Alaska for what it is. The boat helps, but I'm still seeing more people than I want which is frustrating. Ah well.. sooner or later I'll find someone with an air-boat and get some first hand knowledge; until then, it's me and my SportJon.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

so I have my trusty Gazatteer to help.
    Don't trust your Gazatteer anymore. It's a good tool, but it really tells you absolutely zero about land use in all areas of Alaska. Want to know who owns what? Go to the Mat-Su Borough website and look around at their maps. Once you become proficient with that it can become a very useful tool. You can find the owner of just about every parcel in the borough.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Don't trust your Gazatteer anymore. It's a good tool, but it really tells you absolutely zero about land use in all areas of Alaska. Want to know who owns what? Go to the Mat-Su Borough website and look around at their maps. Once you become proficient with that it can become a very useful tool. You can find the owner of just about every parcel in the borough.
    No doubt about the gazatteer statement. Practically useless. I would also be skeptical of BLM maps. They are NOT reliable if more than a year or so old.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast