Thread: Leupold VX-R 3-9-40 CDS Illuminated Reticle

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Leupold VX-R 3-9-40 CDS Illuminated Reticle

thinkin about getting one of these, but have not been able to get my hands on one for a direct observation. Anybody have one? If so, what is your impression and are you happy with it?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I just bought two of the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X FireDot Circle scopes. To be honest I am still not sure how I feel about the system. I think it is better suited for a "Battle Rifle" application than a hunting application. I bought the scopes for very low light/heavy woods hunting application, however I am going to put them on Battle Rifles. The system is more complex than it needs to be, and four brightness settings or even three would be enough, eight is just un-necessary.

The quality is top shelf. And I really like the FD C reticle. The thing they would be best for is predator hunting & also going into the uglies to finish off a wounded animal. What they are not good for is seeing in the dark, for example if you called in a nice moose very late in the day, and you knew for sure it was legal the scope would help with shot placement. However if you were unsure the lighted reticle would actually make it harder to judge the animal. I hope this helps.

Hope, can you adjust brightness down?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yes, It has 8 brightness settings, and if you set the firearm down after 5 mins. it shuts off automatically, and turns on too the previous setting if the scope is moved. Would be wonderful for a home defense firearm as you it would turn its self on the second you grabbed the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    http://www.leupold.com/lightbox/feat...or-technology/

I have the 1.25x4 mounted on my POF 415. I intend to use it for the carbine competitions they are having at birchwood now. I have zeroed it, and have fired around 200 rounds subsequently since mounting it on my rifle. As far as I can tell the quality is what you would expect from Leupold and the dot brightness adjustments are fine. I like to keep the dot as small as possible at all times, and 8 settings seems like just enough to do so. The only complaint I have is that the lines in the duplex are a little bit heavy. If I would be more than happy to let you put some rounds downrange with it at Birchwood if you're local, just PM me.

I wanted the "HOG+PLEX" reticle and contacted Leupold about getting one with-out the words on the reticle, but they said, "No Joy". I'll bet they offer it with-in a year or two.

I have heard that reticle is a good one. I remember reading about that issue somewhere. Most likely it was on this forum. I would have liked to have a BDC type reticle in my VX-R but ended up with a duplex. I got it at the sportsmans show from Boondocks for a steal. One cool feature about it is that I can shoot it with both eyes open on the 1.25 power setting. I am not sure what the parralax is but it seems to work fine outside of 7-10 yards

Here is the 1.25-4 VX-R mounted in a GG&G quick release mount. You can remove the scope/mount and reinstall it without losing zero.
    vx-r.jpg

Sun devil receiver sets?

HuntAK: were you asking me? I am not familiar with those

Yeah, the AR-15 in your pic...maybe a POF?

It's a POF 415. I love it. would recommend POF to anyone looking for an AR that's built like a tank and shoots 45-70 grain boolits into little tiny groups. pof 415.jpg

Very cool.....

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

thanks Guys, I apreciate the input. I was thinking about the 3x9-40 but might even go with the 2x7.... or who knows, maybe even the 1.25x4

I just cant help thinking that it is alway better to have more magnification than you need than to have too little... even though, in all likelyhood this rifle will never be shot past 200 yards, it would be nice to be able to zoom in and see things close up.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio