Thread: Any recommendations for shop to complete owner assisted annual?

Default Any recommendations for shop to complete owner assisted annual?

My partner and I are looking for recommendations for someone to complete an owner assisted annual for us. We would really like to be involved so we can learn more about the airplane.

Thanks,
    Chris

My AP/AI prefers to do owner assisted annuals, I have been doing just that with John begining 1987 (haven't wrecked one yet), I am the line boy and run the screwdriver and listen a lot. We have slowly upgraded a lot of systems on 78A and I think it is the only way to go. I usually spend about a half of day unbuttoning everything, then John shows up and we go at it for several hours, checking compression, timing mags, gear box, cables, etc. looking for any discrepencys. Last time around John spotted a broken thread on a flap cable. When we replaced them with a guy that has the rigging and tools to do so, we discovered the first broken strand was not the only one. After he signs off the log book I spend about a half of a day putting everything back together. Great way to go, you get to know the mechanical systems in your plane and if something starts behaving strangely you might have a clue before things really get out of hand.

Checked with John Forbes and he said to give him a call at 360-0166 ...

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    My AP/AI prefers to do owner assisted annuals, I have been doing just that with John begining 1987 (haven't wrecked one yet), I am the line boy and run the screwdriver and listen a lot. We have slowly upgraded a lot of systems on 78A and I think it is the only way to go. I usually spend about a half of day unbuttoning everything, then John shows up and we go at it for several hours, checking compression, timing mags, gear box, cables, etc. looking for any discrepencys. Last time around John spotted a broken thread on a flap cable. When we replaced them with a guy that has the rigging and tools to do so, we discovered the first broken strand was not the only one. After he signs off the log book I spend about a half of a day putting everything back together. Great way to go, you get to know the mechanical systems in your plane and if something starts behaving strangely you might have a clue before things really get out of hand.
    Really the ONLY way to go, ocnfish!