Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration stickers and letters on a Zodiac

Default Registration stickers and letters on a Zodiac

Had to register my new Zodiac because we are putting the Suzuki 2.5 on her. Any suggestions for putting on the letters and Alaska registration sticker? Unsure if they will stick to the material and was wondering what you guys have done?
    Tennessee

Good question. I wondered the same thing when I picked up our dingy. I decided not to worry about it and just keep the registration on board my boat. That way if an officer asked about it I could show him the registration. I'm sure some folks will disagree but it seems ridiculous to buy a bunch of stickers only to have them come off, not to mention losing the registration sticker.

By the way, congrats on the new rig.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Had to register my new Zodiac because we are putting the Suzuki 2.5 on her. Any suggestions for putting on the letters and Alaska registration sticker? Unsure if they will stick to the material and was wondering what you guys have done?
    I've seen guys put the reg number on a placard, then affixed the placard to the boat. Also seen the reg number painted right on the boat.

Tough subject.
    By law they have to be permanant which leaves out the placard (If the guys an on Kenai are having a bad day they will write you up for this.)
    Painting works but...

I used this
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...SiteSearchView
    Boatnumberplate.com they glue on, they print the registration numbers so they won't peel off plus they give a special spot for the state decal so it doesn't peel off either. they have hypalon and pvc plates. It was simple as heck to glue on and they are meant to be rolled up so there is no problem putting the boat away in the winter.. Plue they satisfy the permanantly attached rule.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Tough subject.
    By law they have to be permanant which leaves out the placard (If the guys an on Kenai are having a bad day they will write you up for this.)
    Painting works but...

I used this
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...SiteSearchView
    Boatnumberplate.com they glue on, they print the registration numbers so they won't peel off plus they give a special spot for the state decal so it doesn't peel off either. they have hypalon and pvc plates. It was simple as heck to glue on and they are meant to be rolled up so there is no problem putting the boat away in the winter.. Plue they satisfy the permanantly attached rule.
    Cool. Thanks for posting that up. I couldn't figure out a way to get keep it on with all the flex in an inflatable boat. This sounds like just the ticket.

Stencils and spray paint, that's how I did it on my Zodiac, the F/V Chuck Norris. And I carry the registration to keep Walker Texas Ranger's kin happy.

Randy I bought a paint that is special for inflatables. I got it from West Marine and has staid on real good. The catalog I have, I see is old 2009. It is listed in the section with the inflatables. Kit #7775331 Inflatable Boat Lettering/Numbering Stencil Kit. It comes with water based vinyl paint and stencils for $17.99. I also just stuck the Alaska Registration sticker to the inflatable and it has staid on good also. One reason this may have worked good for me is I do not totally deflate or roll up my dingy. Dan
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Sharpie Marker and a good guess at stencil shapes. Talk about simple! Quick application and touch-ups are a breeze. The State sticker will hold up long enough to serve its purpose.
    Last edited by IceKing02; 04-20-2011 at 04:41. Reason: Add-on needed.

I tried the stickers, about 1/3 of them fell off, probably during towing ops. I wound up going the Sharpie route. No more worries.

I have a 11' 6" Quicksilver inflatable and use the oars to row to shore. It's alot less hassle than mounting the motor etc. The inflatable is capable of mounting up to a 25 hp. I just don't. Do I need to have a registration and stickers on it? It sits on the roof accept for the occasional paddle to shore. The catch was being capable of motor mounting and propulsion yet I just row. Thought I'd ask.

I used this company and have been happy with the product.

http://www.boatnumberplate.com/

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    I have a 11' 6" Quicksilver inflatable and use the oars to row to shore. It's alot less hassle than mounting the motor etc. The inflatable is capable of mounting up to a 25 hp. I just don't. Do I need to have a registration and stickers on it? It sits on the roof accept for the occasional paddle to shore. The catch was being capable of motor mounting and propulsion yet I just row. Thought I'd ask.
    Tenders are boats that are used exclusively for transportation from a boat to shore. Under the previous USCG registration program, tenders did not have to be registered. This changes under the state program. Tenders must be registered unless they are non-powered.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I sued stickers similar to what stid has on his raft. I got them at Walmart. Maybe I was luckey, but they have held up well for the last couple of years, even deflating during the winter and storing the boat in a bag and reinflating in the spring.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This question comes up quite often and there's been several pretty good solutions to best display numbers/stickers on inflatable boats. I'll be happy to share my tried & true method that I got from somebody years ago: Simply take a square of the same material your boat is made of down to the local upholstry shop and have them sew a piece of clear vinyl (three sides) on the square; glue the square on the bow and deflate the boat to slip the sticker inside. I usually just use a permanent marker for the numbers and stencil them on. Every spring, I get out a sharpie and clean them up so they're readable.

Attachment 48016Alaskanmutt is right; tenders used exclusively as tenders are not required to be registered by Federal law, but Alaska law (AS 05.25.055 and AAC 70.030) requires motorized tenders to be registered in state waters...be aware that there are many overlapping jurisdictions in Alaska and that you can almost guarantee you'll be in state waters!

After reading the helpful hints can't think on an easier way than using a sharpie and stencils.
    Great idea,
    Thanks
    Tennessee

One year they came up with the idea that every floating thing on water had to be registered, this included canoes. So if you had a canoe leaning against your woodshed at your cabin, it had to be registered. I actually went down paid my ten bucks, got my sticker, and the very next year they did away with it. Every year this thread pops up about inflatables registration and getting this to adhere to the rubber. (How about someone in office writing in a little side rule allowing it to be attached to the transom?)

What is the prison time if you don't register your dinghy or put it all on the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    What is the prison time if you don't register your dinghy or put it all on the transom?
    If the state catches you:
    AS 05.25.055(a) Failure to register powerboat $50
    AS 05.25.055(d) Failure to display registration number and decal $50

If the Coast Guard catches you:
    33 C.F.R. 173 Failure to register/display $??

I'll bet you're all just dying to discover what the "$??" means, aren't you?

No prison time but I was told it was a several hundred dollar fine. And canoes only need to be registered if they have a motor (gas or electric) attached to them.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have an inflatable made out of hypalon. I put the registration sticker on the boat three years ago and it is still there (use good degreaser before sticking it on the boat). I used a permanent marker for the letters and just refresh the letters before each season if they become dull.

When I was dealing with this last year I used the easy peel and stick numbers and stuck them to a piece of plexy glass. They told me at the DMV that as long as it was at least tied onto the boat it was ok. Just cant have it lose in the boat some where. They also told me that if you wanted to just carry a photo copy of the registration that was ok an to keep the original in a safe dry place. I think if you look like you at least tried to do the right thing all should be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast