Thread: "The Scar"

Default "The Scar"

I used to go rock climbing quite a bit off the Seward Highway when I was going to UAA, I had this great book I bought at AMH 7 years ago. The book was titled "The Scar" and had detailed directions to numorous climbs in SouthCentral AK. I lost the book and can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know where I could find a copy of this book around town. Or perhaps recommend another book?

The SCAR: Southcentral Alaska Rock Climbing by Kristian W Sieling might be available at AMH, REI, Titlewave, or Mountain View Sports in Anchorage or Fireside in Palmer. If none of them have the book available, I'm sure Amazon does. Another good book is Alaska Rock Climbing Guide by Kelsey Gray. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

It's out there imagine most don't like some of the prices:

http://www.amazon.com/SCAR-Southcent.../dp/0966646509

Rockclimbing.com has a pretty good list of Seward hwy routes http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/N...eward_Highway/

There was an effort to put out a revised SCAR, but I don't know if that effort ever came to fruition.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

its pretty much out of print, and rockclimbing.com has all the routes in it... I bought the last copy sold 6 years ago!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There have been a few new routes put up since the SCAR was published, but nothing earthbreaking. Also some of the manky old bolts have been replaced, but that's an ongoing effort. Best bet is see if you can find a copy at Tidalwave, or find somebody you can bootleg a copy from.

Kelsey's book kinda takes off where the SCAR ends, Hatchers, Purintan, Wiener etc, so you'll really want both books.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hey guys, I've gathered all the info from the highway this last year and hope to have a new book out before the next climbing season. I also have a Facebook page up called Alaska Rock Climbing Guide that has some new info and updates. Paul and anyone else, if you have any information about the highway such as route names and FA then I'd love to hear it so I can have it in before the next book!

Kelsey

Kelsey looking forward to your new book and good to hear from you again. Sorry, can't help you out on the Seward Highway stuff. I have strayed from rock climbing and pretty much concentrate on big mountain anymore. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII