Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338-06

Default 338-06

Nothing to look at yet but my wife 338-06, soon it will be wearing a french walnut stock... the action is a vz-24, with an obendorf style bolt, interarms bottom metal, model 70 style safety, Timeny trigger, custom bases, with talley rings and last a 24 inch Douglas barrel chambered in a 338-06. Sorry fellas no powder coating, and ugly synthetic stocks. Going to be done up right blued rifle with a woodstock.

DSCN1338.jpgDSCN1337.jpg

I believe it to be the perfect med. bore....it will do her well, now just finish it and share some pic.

Once it is finished I will be sure to shair pictures

I think you need to finish it up in a pink camo pattern!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Oh boy I think not... Considering the wood I have is a 500 dollar blank.

Looks like a great rifle in the making!

323, Murphy once made a comment that hung with me until I finally got a 338-06. That comment was to do with the fact that the only improvement ever made to the parent 30-06 case was the 338-06.

That endorsement was enough for me.

Mine too is based on the dandy 98 mauser action and though it was someone elses handy work it is very much to my liking.

I've been real busy here lately but will take time to post a picture or two of mine in the near future.

Good luck with your project.....it's got all the ingredients to be the perfect rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Oh boy I think not... Considering the wood I have is a 500 dollar blank.
    Nice! She'll be a beauty and a shooter. Have fun with the project.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Nothing to look at yet but my wife 338-06, soon it will be wearing a french walnut stock... the action is a vz-24, with an obendorf style bolt, interarms bottom metal, model 70 style safety, Timeny trigger, custom bases, with talley rings and last a 24 inch Douglas barrel chambered in a 338-06. Sorry fellas no powder coating, and ugly synthetic stocks. Going to be done up right blued rifle with a woodstock.

DSCN1338.jpgDSCN1337.jpg
    Way to go, IMO.

A beautiful rifle deserved a beautiful Stock.

A synthetic stock can be Utility, and even practical and reliable, but no way, can they be beautiful, as in "Quality", compared to a Wood Stock.

I hope it turns out the way you want it to be.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    323, Murphy once made a comment that hung with me until I finally got a 338-06. That comment was to do with the fact that the only improvement ever made to the parent 30-06 case was the 338-06.

That endorsement was enough for me.
    The Real Elmer Keith was mightily fond of the .333 OKH. It follows, that his clone would like the 338-06.

One time ago, I heard some high praise about it's use in "Africa".

"Waaaayy down DEEP in the Jungles, in the Heart, of DARKEST Africa,,,,

comes the CRY of the Constipated APE. "UUUHHHH"

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

DSCN1338.jpgDSCN1337.jpg
    Only way a proper gun should be I really like those bases, makes it look like a double square bridge. Bolts cool to. Are you doing the stock yourself?

Food for thought- The 257 Roberts that RCBS built for me back in the early 1970's started life with a purty piece of wood on it. It accumulated a few dings along the way, and was getting dingier by the year. I put a McMillan synthetic on it and moved the wood to an honored spot in the safe. Now it hunts with synthetic, but when I'm feeling nostalgic I put the wood back on for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    The Real Elmer Keith was mightily fond of the .333 OKH. It follows, that his clone would like the 338-06.

One thing to remember, old Elmer was most proud of the .333 diameter 275-grain Speer bullet in both the belted and 06 cases. That bullet or its .338 cousin haven't been around for a long time, but you can get a version today (actually with heavier jackets) from Hawk Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Only way a proper gun should be I really like those bases, makes it look like a double square bridge. Bolts cool to. Are you doing the stock yourself?
    Unfortunately not that talented, so it will eventually be sent to canyon creek (I think was the name) to be stocked. The guy who runs it worked for Cooper arms. Anyhow it should look good after it is done...

Unfortunately not that talented, so it will eventually be sent to canyon creek (I think was the name) to be stocked. The guy who runs it worked for Cooper arms. Anyhow it should look good after it is done...
    Be sure and keep us up to date on this project....I'm almost giddy for ya!

The VZ-24 is a great action. I picked up a '60s-era sporterized Mauser with that action over the winter. I'll be replacing the bottom metal, safety, and trigger this summer. The plan for mine is to turn it into an 8x68. It has a fairly nice stock on it now, so I'll probably just strip that down and re-finish it.

You'll be very happy with the 338-06. My dad has hunted with one for years. I might have turned the current project rifle into one if I didn't already have a 35 Whelen.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Which 3 position safety are you using ?

The safety is a Gentry safety... I bought all the parts from Brownells minus barrel. This project has been a real pain is the @$$, the gunsmith who came highly recommended from a buddy I would not recommend him. One he screwed up my McGowen barrel he pointed fingers at Mcgowen saying they made a bad barrel. This smith made it clear he only likes two barrel and McGowen is not one of them. McGowen stepped up and they are going give me a new barrel so good on McGowen. Another thing this smith does not keep very good record keeping 290 dollars I sent him went unaccounted for and this was brought up when the project was finished and I was giving the final bill at that time I about fell out of my chair. Lets put it this way I could of bought a brand new Kimber for my wife. So pretty hard to find MO orders reciepts from over a year ago and we moved into another house since then so I had to eat 290 bucks and he was gracious enough to sell me another barrel as well LOL. Oh well will I do another project like this probably not it is not worth the headache and finding a good gunsmith is a getting hard...

Oh well will I do another project like this probably not it is not worth the headache and finding a good gunsmith is a getting hard...
    I understand your pain. Finding a credible and dependable gunsmith is the biggest issue. I've used several in the past that were less helpful, but by-and-large I've had good relationships. One step that I've found helpful is to keep everything in writing. Any and all financial information, work requests, change orders, etc. are in simple, straightforward written communication. Letters trump emails, and emails trump phone calls/face-to-face communication. This adds accountability to the smith and to myself. I never wonder what I've requested or what the gunsmith's agreement is; I simply look it up in the letter or series of letters concerning the job at hand.

Too bad about the McGowen barrel, but it's comforting to know that they absolutely stand behind their product. I hope that your wife will be perfectly pleased with her forthcoming rifle. From the pics and your posts it sounds like a gem.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Your right my wife thinks it is pretty neat a full blown custom gun for her. Most guys would rather build themselves a dream gun. Not me I figure with 210gr partitions this will be the only gun she will ever need. But one day when I have a ton of money is to build a 404 jeffries on a 1909 DWM or I would take a 98/22 mauser as well for this build. But for now I will sit here a dream about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast