Thread: Canadian Currency

Default Canadian Currency

I'll be traveling thru Canada and back next month and wanted to know where, other than the Anchorage airport, a guy can get Canadian money without all the extra fees etc. I've read other posts that it's easy to just go to Canada and use a atm machine to get Canadian cash. I'll use my Visa card to purchase fuel and I do plan to take about 40gals extra. Thanks!

If you are driving in from the Yukon you can change Canadian dollars in to USD at the Denali State Bank in Tok.

Try your local bank the should have some Ca. money on hand.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

I'll be driving from Homer to Tok thru Canada to Oregon and returning the following week. My local credit union doesn't have foreign currency and the only place I could get it was Wells Fargo at the 5th ave mall in Anchorage or the Capt. Cook Hotel. However I did find out laters that I can use my visa debit card at a atm in Canada to get Canadian cash and pay a small fee for the transaction. Does anyone know if they have a atm at the Tok - Yukon border? Thanks

Last time I drove through Canada I ran into a lot of gas stations that did not accept US Visa cards. Only Visa cards issued by a Canadian bank. Just FYI.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I drove through BC and Yukon 6 monthes ago. Had zero rejections of, or issues with, my Visa card. However, Visa is now sticking you with an international transaction fee on every transaction. Next time I'll take additional Canadian currency and avoid using the plastic.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Check the currancy difference, not long ago there was not enough difference to even mess with it.

Sometimes the rejections are because of your bank's policy. Call your bank and tell them you plan on traveling in Canada and they will allow your card to work there. Jim

As others have said, some CC companies are charging a fee for "international" transactions. Unless you are planning to hang around in Canada for longer than just passing through, the number of those transactions will be minimal and the fees won't add up to much. It will probably be easier and cheaper to just incur them than it will be to take your time to go get Canadian currency, then take the time out of your day to change whatever you have left over after the trip back to US currency. After all, time is money. Also, if you are using Canadian cash, you will have to go into each and every gas station to pay the attendant, equating to more lost time and inconvenience for you.

When I drove down through Canada and back last winter, I just made sure that I limited my stops as much as I could. If I was going to stop for a bite to eat, I made sure I got anything else I needed in the same stop so it was all in one purchase on the card and not 2 or 3 separate charges. I never had any problems with places accepting my card (Visa). It is a good idea to have a backup in case one card is stopped for a while and you need to contact the bank to reactivate it. Sometimes the banks will put a stop on the card if they suspect it has been stolen. As others have said, contact the bank ahead of time to help avoid any chances of this.

We were in Alberta and British Columbia last fall and did not have a single problem with Visa. My bank charged a 3% fee for handling the currency exchange. We did not have any problems with convenience stores, motels, and restaurants with taking US dollars either. Once place did make a mistake in the difference between the exchange but we believed it was an honest mistake, not a rip off.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Every time i have driven through Canada i have just gone into a bank and changed about how much cash i thought I would need, no problem with service fees, and last thing I would do before getting into AK would be change what few dollars i still had into quarters.
    At that time i think I made about .20 on the buck spending the quarters....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

So Dave now I know why there are so many Canada quarters floating around this state. I think the banks here do the same. I have gotten rolls of quarters from a bank and think almost 1/3 where Canadian.