Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The SR1911 lives

They look good but for the price a person could fine a nice used Colt. Most of the extras do come standard on the Ruger
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good gracious, another 1911!! I love it! Just goes to show that a well designed and battle tested/proven design never dies. We are definately living in the 1911 glory days IMHO and I for one am liking it! Never before have we had more options, sizes, finishes, metal choices, ect...ect... on a 1911 design pistol. I look forward to reading the reviews.

Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I look forward to reading the reviews.
    Here's Quinns thoughts...
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Guess I gotta put this on "The List" too.
    Now what ?

hey snyd; thanks for this.......this is really news!
    happy trails.
    jh

Yep. It will probably go to the top of my list! Snyd, I read the article and liked everything I read. Price looks real good for a 100% made in USA 1911. I'm still excited about Remington coming out with their version a year or so ago. Man, it just keeps getting better for 1911 fans from entry level varieties, mil specs, mid range pistols, to top end custom guns for those who can afford them. If the Ruger 1911 is as good as the article states, I predict they will take a bite out of Kimber and Springfields sales.

I've been looking at 45 acps for several months now. Full size and compact 1911's, Colts, Kimbers, black plastics, etc. Just trying to learn about them. This one gets my attention for some reason. Maybe it's cuz i've got a couple other Ruger 45's, maybe because it seems to have most of the right stuff at a decent price. I've got about 700rnds of brass, a 4 banger Lyman 200gr swc mould and even have 300 of em cast and lubed. I'll see what the street price ends up at in a few months. I guess some 45's do okay with cast swc's and others don't. Quinn has a pick on his sight of a pretty good group with em. He did'nt say anything about feed problems.

Hey Snyd, I have 3 1911's right now, Kimber, S&W, and Sig. They all get fed a regular diet of 200 gr LSWC and knock on wood, I've never had a feeding malfunction. 4.5 to 5 grains of Titegroup makes for real accurate and clean loads. I've also heard nothing but good stuff about Clays powder. I reckon Bullseye, Red Dot, and several others would do well. I need to break down and buy some molds to cast my own.

Looks like the Ruger has all the right stuff for that price range and a guy can always change out/fit aftermarket parts to suit his tastes. Looks like Ruger is really becoming a major player in the defensive handgun market with all the new ones they have brought out over the last several years. What impresses me is the affordable price, like $420 for the SR9 new!

I want one!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've been looking at 45 acps for several months now. Full size and compact 1911's, Colts, Kimbers, black plastics, etc. Just trying to learn about them. This one gets my attention for some reason. Maybe it's cuz i've got a couple other Ruger 45's, maybe because it seems to have most of the right stuff at a decent price. I've got about 700rnds of brass, a 4 banger Lyman 200gr swc mould and even have 300 of em cast and lubed. I'll see what the street price ends up at in a few months. I guess some 45's do okay with cast swc's and others don't. Quinn has a pick on his sight of a pretty good group with em. He did'nt say anything about feed problems.
    hi snyd; thanks to your post i ordered out the ruger sr1911, but don't expect to see it for awhile. in the meantime am searching for a "deal" on 1m rounds of 230gr ball. any suggestions?
    happy trails.
    jh

Me too Snyd! I have had the 45 bug for a while now!

Quin makes mention of the 1911 market appearing to be saturated, yet more and more manufactures come out with their own version. I think thats because the 1911s are in a world of their own in that every shooter gets bit by the 45 bug at some point in time! I have always thought that they were cool but never carried one. My quest now is for a carry gun in 1911. For that reason I want a 4 or 4 1/4 inch barrel. In Iowa the 45 ACP is legal for deer with the only restrictions being that the barrel has to be at least 4 inches long and you can't use hardball ammo. My current carry gun is a 40 cal Glock 22 and it has killed a couple deer including the biggest doe that I've ever taken. Sorry to say the Ruger doesn't come in anything other than the 5 inch barrel so for now I'll pass on the Ruger. However I thank you for bringing it to our attention. It sounds like a lot of gun for the money!

The one thing I like about your reference is Quinn himself. He usually doesn't pull any punches. I see him as a square shooter..... he calls it as he sees it!

The .45 market sure is an interesting one. Judging from the brass litteirng the range the .45 is alive and very well with only the .40 S&W and 9mm in the running with it as to popularity.

It is intersting to note that Ruger is using bar stock - essentially a square forging - for the slide instead on an investment casting like the frame. I think the locking lug area for the barrel is pretty higly stressed so the bar stock is a good choice and the machined surfaces gives smoother working surfaces. In comparison I looked at a Bretta 92 not too long ago and noted that they have went to an investment castin for the slide - it looked pretty rough in areas.

The internal orginal extractor is a big plus - I'm glad they maintained that feature. I hated that Browning and S&W went to the cheaper external extractor - it make the gun look cheap IMO.

Can't figure out why they are making a big deal about machining the barrel and bushing out of one piece of metal unless it is just advertising hype. From the pictures it didn't appear they were using a match grade fit with a reduced diameter on the barrel. Any thoughts on that one?

No mention on who is making their magazines? Is Ruger into magazines or do they contract that work out? Doesn't really matter - just curious.

The "Made in the USA" is a very big plus - that will sell one to me!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Yep. It will probably go to the top of my list! Snyd, I read the article and liked everything I read. Price looks real good for a 100% made in USA 1911. I'm still excited about Remington coming out with their version a year or so ago. Man, it just keeps getting better for 1911 fans from entry level varieties, mil specs, mid range pistols, to top end custom guns for those who can afford them. If the Ruger 1911 is as good as the article states, I predict they will take a bite out of Kimber and Springfields sales.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    ... in the meantime am searching for a "deal" on 1m rounds of 230gr ball. any suggestions?
    1 million rounds..... get yourself about 29,000 pounds of wheel weights and you can cast about a million 200gr swc's

Ordered two this morning, one for a friend and the other for another friend........ME!

Interesting stats from the supplier. They've ordered 1700 1911's and 838 are already on backorder, including my two.

wish they came in black, i hate them brite show weapons. i like um black like my heart.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    wish they came in black, i hate them brite show weapons. i like um black like my heart.

shouldnt have to pay 800$ to get what i dont want.
    Semper Fi!

You're not talking to the right people.

You don't.

Anyway, rumors are there will be other variants. I guess time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast