Thread: upper kenai

Default upper kenai

Any one float the upper yet

Saw more than a handful of people launching drift boats and cat's from the cooper landing boat launch at the inlet of kenai lake, Friday and Saturday. A lot of frog water until princess rapids, so with the high winds upriver, the row looked tough. Might still be a shelf of ice though at sportsman's and jim's on the launch, im not sure.

was down there saturday, real windy, to the point were casting was a no go. The banks were pretty clear on the upper, and there was a decent number of people in the parking lot with trailors (sportsmans, and at the lake). Couldn't see the the launch at sportsmans looked like but I bet it is doable. Don't know about Jim's though. However the water is pretty low there and not a lot of snow in the area.

I was at Sportsmans on Sunday at noon. Saw 2 boats launched. Looks pretty skinny.

I did a run down just to get out thursday. Launching at sportsmans and landing at jims would be no problem. You will put a very nice shine on the bottom of your drifter though running it. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY low. I would not run it in my drifter. Way to much dragging. I would in my cat though.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Drifted last saturday water very low and the wind was crazy, took all you had to cast. Turned out a bust but
    had my my twelve year old float by himself on the Kenai for the first time so not a bad trip at all.

The water has come up some since last weekend. 6" to a foot I would guess. Still some skinny water below sportsmans though.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

June and I heading down to camp at quartz creek tomorrow. No fishing if you can believe that. Just a huge fire. Drinks and the Aces game on the radio. Ill check the water though. Not that is matters much with the river shutting down
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Went today and the wind was crazy! water level came up probably a ft. swung with the 2 hander below sportsman's. no takes. saw a guy float fishing catch 2. check the wind before you head down.