Thread: Electronic Advice

Default Electronic Advice

Fixing up my 26 foot Olympic and wanting to get some advice on a GPS/Sounder unit. I will be fishing salmon, halibut, Ling cod and hopefully albacore when I get my confidence up. Most all of my fishing will be in the Straights and West Coast. I have seen other threads on some sounders picking up kings and halibut and others not. What are some recommendations for a combo unit? I also need some advice on transducers? I like the Garmin 740s but that is expanding the top end of my budget by a ways. The Lowrance HDS 7 also looked promising.

IMO Garmin makes the best electronic on the market but, I am sure there are others out there that are just as good I am just used to the Garmin products.
    I understand the cost is a bit overwhelming but you really only buy it once so with that being said try and squeeze out the best you can afford. If you have plans on later to put a radar dome on then look at those models now so you can do that later. If you scrimp now it will cost more lately once your confidence is up and you want to venture out a bit further and wish you had a bit better set up.
    Usually the transducer will come with the unit if it is new but with Garmin the plugs are all the same in most if not all the units as they have told me. Meaning if you have the 545s it will fit the 400 or the 3000 units so if you were to upgrade later you could.
    You will also want to look into Garmin unit that are either preloaded G2 or you can get the chip for that. I have found that it is very helpful when looking for bottom structures.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Halibut do not have air bladders so the sonar will not pick them up. Any fish finder will pickup kings and rockfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Halibut do not have air bladders so the sonar will not pick them up. Any fish finder will pickup kings and rockfish.
    But a sonar will pick up objects like a downrigger ball, lure, etc., so why would it not pick up a halibut other than if the fish is on the bottom and it's just hard (or impossible?) to see?

Any object between the surface and the bottom will show on most any fish finder, unless that object is configured in such a way that sound waves will pass through. The air bladder issue relates to the strength of the return as sound waves travel faster through fluid objects. A salmon and halibut side by side would both return a signal, the salmon a stronger signal because of the air bladder. The fish arc seen in the demo mode is rarely seen in real life unless the fish swims in a straight line through the sound wave. Color displays and the most wattage you can afford will work the best as different colors represent different strength signals, generally red being the strongest. I bought the 740S package with radar from West Marine last year, have yet to install the radar. Used it last summer with my existing transducer, upgraded to a 1000 watt transducer to match the unit but have not tried it out yet.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

When "hunting" for Halibut you look for structure and balls of bait fish... If you see a big red ball or cloud of bait fish on the lee side of a bump, there is a very good chance there is a 'butt or two under that ball of bait fish..../John

Okay - I stand corrected - and actually thought about it as I hit send...the butts tend to lie directly on the bottom hiding in wait for their prey so that makes them much harder to pickup. But you guys are correct that if the butt was swimming up off the bottom her sonar shadow would be detected and reflected on your screen.

Okay - I stand corrected - and actually thought about it as I hit send...the butts tend to lie directly on the bottom hiding in wait for their prey so that makes them much harder to pickup. But you guys are correct that if the butt was swimming up off the bottom her sonar shadow would be detected and reflected on your screen.
    In 20 yrs of Charter fishing, I very rarely saw any "butts on the sonar.. The one exception I recall we were setting in the kelp beds off the Homer bluffs and She must have had an inch or two of water under her... Otherwise I had a few (hundred) way points that had some kind of structure.. a bump, a drop off, a hole, anything that gave a 'butt an opportunity to ambush their prey and if you saw bait fish, you were reasonably assured to score.../John

Thanks for the help. Should I go with the thru hull transducer with the highest wattage I can afford?

If you want to get serious on a fishfinder, I'd say go with the furuno FCV 585 with an airmar 1000w transducer. As to throughhull vs. transom mount, either will work fine. I personally don't like the idea of punching holes through a hull below the water line for anyreason, but from what I've read, you don't give up anything on a properly mounted transom transducer.

I love my Garmin gps, but IMHO, their sounders on the combo units are lacking. Also while there is the appeal of splitting the screen to see both your chart and sonar image, the resulting images are small, so you find yourself flipping back and forth between your chart to find the waypoint, and your sounder screen to look for depth and fish. The Furuno FCV 620 is another option, doesn't break the bank so much, and the guys I know who have them love them.

Quote Originally Posted by petaone View Post
    Thanks for the help. Should I go with the thru hull transducer with the highest wattage I can afford?
    Like others have stated, I don't care too much for cutting holes in any hull.. Your not intentionally going to be running any skinny water where you could get a transom mounted transducer knocked off or bent, so for my .02c worth, I'd go with a Transom mount.. Although now there are ways to mount a transducer inside the hull and you might want to look at that.... Everyone is going to have a little different opinion on how/where to mount a transducer... as your probably beginning to realize... So which ever way you go... good luck and good fishing.../John