Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a plasma cutter or torch to cut 55gal barrel?

Default Anyone have a plasma cutter or torch to cut 55gal barrel?

Trying to locate someone with either a plasma cutter or torch I can use (or have them use) to open up my 55gal barrel so I can get my stand put up this weekend.

thanks
    (Anchorage area)

A sawzall works fine too. I have a torch if you make it to the valley....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I jest used a sawzall when I did my steel drum last year then duck tapedthe edges so the bears wouldn't get cut. It's pretty loud though be warned.

You're coming up north, right? If so, I have one and can knock it out in a couple minutes. I'm the first place on the left off the Talkeetna Spur Rd.... Moores' Hardware and Building Supply.. 733-2327 ask for Doug. Plasma leaves a fairly "unsharp" edge compared to a sawzall. You're nice and early, though. I've never been hit up in your area before May 1st
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Are you a Soldier on Ft Rich? I bet the guys at DPW could probably hook you up? Not sure if the Auto Craft shop has a torch or not? Worst case I might be able to bring in my torch/saw-zaw/or grinder cutting wheel one day and do it in your driveway....lol
    For that thin of metal, I'd use a saw-zaw and roll over the edges....

One thing that has not been mentioned, when using a torch to cut a drum, FIRST make sure all bungs are out of it, and it is aired out well. A drum does not have to had oil or gas in it, to have flammable material left within. I have seen to many simple jobs turn into ambulance rides.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Squab good call on that. I already have mine pressure washed out just letting them air dry with the tops off until thursday night. I will try DPW 1st if not I will give you a call Doug

Did they clean out pretty easy?

for the most part yoda they did. going to do 1 more "victory rinse" with a old "food service trick" (military grade "kool-aid" will remove **** near anything from metal and plastic just waiting on my package to arrive hopefully tomorrow to do the final fill and rinse). The stuff the military uses for field food is very very very potent I have used it to strip clean oven racks that the hardest of all cleaners wouldn't touch.

I'm in Anchorage, send me an email or PM if you need help. It will take a few minutes to fab your drum(s).
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Outdoorsman I may give you a call tomorrow if you are free. I wont be off till later in the afternoon. Thanks for the assistance

I,d try using a angle grinder, you will burn thru a cutting blade but it goes fast and is pretty easy to control. Just cut one up for a meat smoker I am working on.

I just use my fist to punch holes in my barrels...

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Outdoorsman I may give you a call tomorrow if you are free. I wont be off till later in the afternoon. Thanks for the assistance
    No problem - drop me a line and I'll help you out. I should be home after work making kettle corn and popcorn.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    No problem - drop me a line and I'll help you out. I should be home after work making kettle corn and popcorn.
    How fast does that kettle corn maker make it?

I can make up to 30 quarts of popped popcorn in a few minutes time - sugar coated and all. I can cut the time down to about 60 seconds if I upgrade my regulator but don't plan on that until next season. Add an extra minute or two to mix in/on extra flavoring and let it cool so the kettle corn doesn't stick together and I'm still ahead of the deep fryer method I posted on YouTube. Don't get me wrong, the deep fryer works great - it's faster than a friends 3'x4' popcorn machine and faster than 3 air poppers secured to a garbage can (not to mention cheaper), I just like to save time not have as many steps in the build process.

When I did my barrels, used a drill for a starter hole then cut an X with a jig saw/ metal blade and bent the flaps under so it wasn't sharp edges. Definately be carefull with the torch because of the possiblity of residue- triple rinse isn't a bad thing...

naw when your doing something like that a peanut grinder and a 045 cutoff wheel makes very short work out of sheet material. Like slicing butter with a hot knife
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks for the help everyone got the stuff squared away (HUGE THANKS TO ALASKANOUTDOORSMAN).

I use an air chisle with the sheet metal cutter blade. It will punch a 6" hole in a barrel in about 30seconds. It is a little niosy though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast