Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Question: About "Bait'Stations" Locations.

  1. #1

    Default Question: About "Bait'Stations" Locations.

    Not that I care, as I just want the bears thinned'out. But curious, some stations are clearly to close to residences (Not mine).

    Does F&G plug all the data into a computer, and be able to say, "Wow", you are only 1/4 mile from three houses. Or do they just record information, and not really care..........

  2. #2
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Not that I care, as I just want the bears thinned'out. But curious, some stations are clearly to close to residences (Not mine).

    Does F&G plug all the data into a computer, and be able to say, "Wow", you are only 1/4 mile from three houses. Or do they just record information, and not really care..........
    I think they check as many as possiable but there are so many they cant check all of them if there is a problem let them know not saying by your place any of them one person doing it wrong puts a black mark on us all

  3. #3
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    I just got my bait permit today. They just punched my description/coordinates into the computer and printed it out for me. I don't think they check to see if your near residence, campgrounds, etc...they leave that up to you and the troopers to check out. But I could be wrong.

  4. #4
    Member Grizzly Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Not that I care, as I just want the bears thinned'out. But curious, some stations are clearly to close to residences (Not mine).

    Does F&G plug all the data into a computer, and be able to say, "Wow", you are only 1/4 mile from three houses. Or do they just record information, and not really care..........
    I haven't setup my station yet, but I did talk to F&G about this. They don't try to reference it on computer, nor will they tell you if other baiters are right near you. It would be easy to find houses off the main roads, it's the little cabins that are hard to see on Google. I did a little scouting and got home and looked up on Google maps to see if anything was near me.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

  5. #5
    Member fishingyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I really doubt thy check or care too much. I went to set up my second stand tonight and found out that somebody has their station in the exact same spot where I was registered and started hunting last year. Kind of frustrating when I've hunted and spent the last 10 years around this area with out ever seeing a bait station and then I bait it last year hang up warning signs and somebody puts their sign 2 feet from where I had mine last year. Oh well they have some stiff competition for the bears in that area

  6. #6
    Member ProHunterAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Counting Frogs and Skeeters
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Havent registered my sites yet (hopefully this week) but I am glad my buddy and I walked the 6 miles into the bush and found the cabin out in the middle of nowhere. I would hate to get a fine up here for something as easy to find as a "house, camp, dwelling, building etc.)

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    They won't tell you anything when you register a sight. However, the local F&W Trooper will tell you if anyone is near you. They constantly get updates on where baits are registered and do follow up on them. Our local F&W Trooper busted quite a few last year for various reasons.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I really doubt thy check or care too much. I went to set up my second stand tonight and found out that somebody has their station in the exact same spot where I was registered and started hunting last year. Kind of frustrating when I've hunted and spent the last 10 years around this area with out ever seeing a bait station and then I bait it last year hang up warning signs and somebody puts their sign 2 feet from where I had mine last year. Oh well they have some stiff competition for the bears in that area
    I hope it wasnt me, but if it is, Sorry!!!!!
    I set up for the first time in 10 years. Spotted a new location and set up. I did not see any evidence of previous sites. But I guess your not suppose to.

  9. #9
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    See Yoda, if you'd have left your stand up, you wouldnt be having that problem!! LOL...J/K...

    Good luck

  10. #10
    Member fishingyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I'm not worried about it that's part of the public land game. I didn't leave a trace of evidence I was there. I am very sure they saw my signs last year and beat me to the spot. They had their signs hung in the same dang tree

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They won't tell you anything when you register a sight. However, the local F&W Trooper will tell you if anyone is near you. They constantly get updates on where baits are registered and do follow up on them. Our local F&W Trooper busted quite a few last year for various reasons.
    NOT around here they don't. In fact they never get out of their truck. There are still stations with (2010) 3' by 3' plywood signs from last year, that were left all winter.

    What I find "Interesting" is that the last two times the census was taken, they had maps that showed every structure, even buildings that were moved with-in the last 6 months. I fail to see why the F&G can't advise at the time you register, "Oh, Did you know there is a 4 bedroom house just 1/4 mile from the site you want to register".......???

  12. #12
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    NOT around here they don't. In fact they never get out of their truck. There are still stations with (2010) 3' by 3' plywood signs from last year, that were left all winter.

    What I find "Interesting" is that the last two times the census was taken, they had maps that showed every structure, even buildings that were moved with-in the last 6 months. I fail to see why the F&G can't advise at the time you register, "Oh, Did you know there is a 4 bedroom house just 1/4 mile from the site you want to register".......???
    That would imply that the hunter has exact coordinates to give ADFG when they register the sattion. Often, folks simply give directions (albeit vague and inaccurate) to the station such as "walk through the woods till you get to a small clearing, turn left and walk over the hill till you get to the creek..." There's no way to plot that on a map accurately.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    That would imply that the hunter has exact coordinates to give ADFG when they register the sattion. Often, folks simply give directions (albeit vague and inaccurate) to the station such as "walk through the woods till you get to a small clearing, turn left and walk over the hill till you get to the creek..." There's no way to plot that on a map accurately.

    Then they need to study "Map Reading 101" However in this case the last house is at Utility Pole # 101 and there is a bait station that was set up yesterday morning at Utility Pole # 104 now the poles are roughly 300' apart so that is roughly 900' to maybe 1,000 feet. There are 5,280 feet in a mile. So this station is with-in 1/5 of a mile of five houses, one with little children.

  14. #14
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Then they need to study "Map Reading 101" However in this case the last house is at Utility Pole # 101 and there is a bait station that was set up yesterday morning at Utility Pole # 104 now the poles are roughly 300' apart so that is roughly 900' to maybe 1,000 feet. There are 5,280 feet in a mile. So this station is with-in 1/5 of a mile of five houses, one with little children.
    Not surprising at all. Keep in mind that where folks put their bait stations, and where they tell ADFG the station is can often be two distinctly different locations.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Not surprising at all. Keep in mind that where folks put their bait stations, and where they tell ADFG the station is can often be two distinctly different locations.
    Very Interesting, I had not considered that. I do wonder sometimes, the extent to which our town of "Sunrise", Alaska bear DLP problems are propagated by Bait Station's that are too close to the farms. I really don't know the answer.

  16. #16
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Not to start crap, AGL, but you ever consider making a call to F&G regarding illegal bait site locations? They take those calls pretty seriously IME. Alot of people have no respect for residences when choosing bait sites, and I have no respect in return when I phone the lat/lon into F&G.

    Small hidden cabins I can see missing when selecting a site. Homes on maintained roads, and setbacks from rivers .....there is no excuse to miss...

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Not to start crap, AGL, but you ever consider making a call to F&G regarding illegal bait site locations? They take those calls pretty seriously IME. Alot of people have no respect for residences when choosing bait sites, and I have no respect in return when I phone the lat/lon into F&G.

    Small hidden cabins I can see missing when selecting a site. Homes on maintained roads, and setbacks from rivers .....there is no excuse to miss...
    Every Man Has his own personal rules for his conduct. Here is my rule in this matter. I would rather have the Bears harvested by hunters, than me having to covertly deposit them into Six Mile Creek, or waste my life filling out paper work, and skinning bears for the Fish & Game. I only post this subject on the forum for the Bait Baiting Community to do with as it pleases. We are in the Chugach National Forest and they have ten or maybe twenty times the Law Enforcement Rangers per mile that the AK. State Troopers have. The bottom line in my opinion is they are all a bunch of truck riders & sight seers.

    They will stop me when I am walking on the Hope Road shoulder, because I am dressed like a "Geriatric Rambo" use the button to lower the electric window, then give me the fifth-degree about what I am doing, where I am going, where I live, ask to see I.D. (sometimes) ask why I need a firearm.

    It has got to the point where I now leave the rifle behind a tree where I re-engage the Hope Road when coming off the mountain, and go back to retrieve the rifle with my truck. In my opinion all the Enforcement people do not want to get their boots dirty. Which I judge to be very sad. If they spent much time walking the trails (Moose & Bear) they would know the animal inventory, and they could leave polite notes at stations that they need to clean-up the station or move the station.

    It is not my job to be a snitch, it is their job to get out of the truck and patrol the wilderness, this is especially true for the Forest Service Cops.

    Note: This is just my rant, and nothing will change. But it would D#mn sure change if I was the head of Enforcement. They would have dirty boots or get fired.

  18. #18
    Member fishingyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    See Yoda, if you'd have left your stand up, you wouldnt be having that problem!! LOL...J/K...

    Good luck
    Haha
    Oh I figured some one would say it.

  19. #19
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Every Man Has his own personal rules for his conduct. Here is my rule in this matter. I would rather have the Bears harvested by hunters, than me having to covertly deposit them into Six Mile Creek, or waste my life filling out paper work, and skinning bears for the Fish & Game. I only post this subject on the forum for the Bait Baiting Community to do with as it pleases. We are in the Chugach National Forest and they have ten or maybe twenty times the Law Enforcement Rangers per mile that the AK. State Troopers have. The bottom line in my opinion is they are all a bunch of truck riders & sight seers.

    They will stop me when I am walking on the Hope Road shoulder, because I am dressed like a "Geriatric Rambo" use the button to lower the electric window, then give me the fifth-degree about what I am doing, where I am going, where I live, ask to see I.D. (sometimes) ask why I need a firearm.

    It has got to the point where I now leave the rifle behind a tree where I re-engage the Hope Road when coming off the mountain, and go back to retrieve the rifle with my truck. In my opinion all the Enforcement people do not want to get their boots dirty. Which I judge to be very sad. If they spent much time walking the trails (Moose & Bear) they would know the animal inventory, and they could leave polite notes at stations that they need to clean-up the station or move the station.

    It is not my job to be a snitch, it is their job to get out of the truck and patrol the wilderness, this is especially true for the Forest Service Cops.

    Note: This is just my rant, and nothing will change. But it would D#mn sure change if I was the head of Enforcement. They would have dirty boots or get fired.
    Good post, and I agree with you.

    My comment and my situation was more related to the enticing of brown bears into areas where there are children comment that you made.

    There is nothing in this world that will make me more of an a-hole (ie snitch) than my family being put in jeopardy by some half wit who doesnt even make an attempt to look at a map or read the regs.

  20. #20
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    The Troopers do check stand locations but it usually takes a complaint. Some Troopers are not able to do as good of job as they would like because you have to remember that many are pulled to do such duties as the commercial red opening runs in the PWS. They can't be everywhere. But if you check the Trooper blog from time to time you will see the violators and the fines they pay.

    Thinking that you are going to get away with something because they might not check is like complaining becasue you got caught doing 65 in a 55 mph zone. You made the decision, suck up the blame.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •