Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Anchorage Fly Fishing

  1. #1
    Guest
    Guest

    Default Anchorage Fly Fishing

    Hello all,

    I just moved to Anchorage from Fairbanks and really looking forward to the Salmon runs. However, I have only lived in the state for a year and have primarily fly fished in the Northern Interior. I was wanting to know if there is any good fly fishing in Anchorage, excluding Salmon. I will be fishing for all the salmon as they run (cannot wait!) but would also like to try out my new 5 Weight as well. For example, I am interested in fishing for trout, dollies, stealhead, and grayling. If so, how so can you start fishing for any of them as well? Thanks

  2. #2
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    here's a tip: if you see open water, and its not closed (unfortunately all the open water in ANC is now closed ) fish it and see what happens!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  3. #3
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Typical monkey response, don't help anyone out.....fly fishing in A-town will primarily be done on the area lakes. Take a look at the ADF&G web site to find out which ones are stocked. Those are the ones you wanna fish. Streams in the city are almost devoid of trout. Steelhead you'll have to run south to the Kasilof, or some of the rivers further south. PM me if you have any more questions on specifics.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  4. #4
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Awesome, thanks for the help!

  5. #5
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    here's a tip: if you see open water, and its not closed (unfortunately all the open water in ANC is now closed ) fish it and see what happens!
    really. wow you must be the smartest person on this website. thanks again for your wonderfull helpful hint.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  6. #6
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    really. wow you must be the smartest person on this website. thanks again for your wonderfull helpful hint.
    You haven't been around here long enough to ride on the monkey gang bang train... I suggest you get off at the next stop.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    You haven't been around here long enough to ride on the monkey gang bang train... I suggest you get off at the next stop.
    Kwackkillincrew,

    If your gonna "ride the monkey", be prepared to deal with the jealousy factor.

    I think this "icb12" is an alias for the monkey.

    Or maybe the monkey is just a really hot date.

    Either way, when you question the monkey's wisdom (ha ha - now there's an oxymoron), be prepared for a twofer.

  8. #8
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Kwackkillincrew,

    I think this "icb12" is an alias for the monkey.
    That there is just plain hurtful!

  9. #9
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Kwackkillincrew,

    If your gonna "ride the monkey", be prepared to deal with the jealousy factor.

    I think this "icb12" is an alias for the monkey.

    Or maybe the monkey is just a really hot date.

    Either way, when you question the monkey's wisdom (ha ha - now there's an oxymoron), be prepared for a twofer.
    Oh Gary, gary, gary,
    How wrong you are. See, I know kwackkillincrew... like in real life. And conversely kwackkillincrew knows me... like in real life. So, the both of us know you're wrong, and now you do to.

    Nice try though.
    Care to play again? Or would you prefer to drink some more of chucks koolaid and bash someone over the internet that you know absolutely nothing about? I bet that just gets your jollies rolling don't it... makes your boys swell up with pride at being an intardnet badass. I'll deal another hand if you want to try again.. but I suggest you up the ante a little bit. I play on websites that make this one look like the girlscout homepage.

  10. #10
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    That there is just plain hurtful!
    Just plain stupid.. There's pictures of both monkey and myself on this forum, anyone who has been around long enough knows that..

  11. #11
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    icb you should really be paying attention in your class instead of playing mall ninja on the forum. just tryin to livin this place up a bit. guy asked for a couple hints and mr monkey says go fish open water.... kinda a no brainer ya icb let me know when i have enough hairs on my chest to be able to talk some smack on her
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Oh Gary, gary, gary,
    How wrong you are. See, I know kwackkillincrew... like in real life. And conversely kwackkillincrew knows me... like in real life. So, the both of us know you're wrong, and now you do to.

    Nice try though.
    Care to play again? Or would you prefer to drink some more of chucks koolaid and bash someone over the internet that you know absolutely nothing about? I bet that just gets your jollies rolling don't it... makes your boys swell up with pride at being an intardnet badass. I'll deal another hand if you want to try again.. but I suggest you up the ante a little bit. I play on websites that make this one look like the girlscout homepage.
    To be honest - I don't care if you're a real person or just a figment of monkey's imagination.

    You are correct - I don't know you or monkey, but I do find it quite amusing that you feel some preverse need to defend him every time someone takes a wack at him. Don't you think (now try real hard, I know your brain must be fried from all the school work) that if there was no GOOD reason to, less people would bash him? He usually has nothing to offer, but seems to like to see his "words of wisdom" on the screen.
    There have been times (a few) when I've even agreed with what you or he posts - would it make you both feel more appreciated if I commented on them (when they occur)? You know, give you an "atta boy" & a pat on the head.
    Go hang out on your badass websites & I'll stay here with the girls.

  13. #13
    Member icb12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    ...
    A guys asks a question that has been asked and answered HUNDREDS of times on this very forum. A google or forum search answers ALL his questions in under a minute. The fact is that monkey is right... the best way is to GO FISHING. Period. We all start somewhere. An atlas, a roadmap, a couple books, and little bit of skill go a long ways. This very website has a bookstore with enough books and knowledge to keep the average person busy fishing for years. The local library has resources, the internet has resources. For christ sakes.. pick up a freaking reg book and read it. That will tell you where the fish are!

    Little Su, willow, little willow, goose, sheep, byers, kashwitna, montana, troublesome, chulitna, talkeetna, ptarmigan, glacier, ingram, seattle, kenai, kasilof, bird, jims, eklutna, hope, quartz, russian, etc, etc, etc... ALL have fish. All are within EASY driving distance.
    Throw llamas, beads, buggers, leaches, flesh, nymphs, drys, etc.. Fish the top of the water column, fish the bottom of the water column, fish the middle, fish the banks, fish the rapids, fish the pools, fish on hot days, fish on cold days, fish when the water is high, fish when it's low. Put some MILES on your boots, and on your truck. THATS how you learn about fishing. Not on the internet.
    Keep talking smack man, when you actually want to GO fishing... not just talk smack about it.. let me know. Pay your way in diesel, and I'll save a seat for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ...
    I find it amusing that you guys have a perverse need to spew your bs everytime he posts. You've been here how long? You KNOW what he's going to say.. I do, You do, Everyone does... We have seen this question how many million times? So why bother EVERY single freaking time?? Let him be him. I don't even KNOW him, to be honest, I probably wouldn't even like fishing with him, because he fishes very differently than I do. Still, you guys make me shake my head and laugh. Fact is; somebody has to root for the underdog.

  14. #14
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    really. wow you must be the smartest person on this website. thanks again for your wonderfull helpful hint.
    Yup I am, if only because I can spell "quack" correctly.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  15. #15
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Typical monkey response, don't help anyone out.....fly fishing in A-town will primarily be done on the area lakes. Take a look at the ADF&G web site to find out which ones are stocked. Those are the ones you wanna fish. Streams in the city are almost devoid of trout. Steelhead you'll have to run south to the Kasilof, or some of the rivers further south. PM me if you have any more questions on specifics.
    You know how I learned to fish? I went fishing, when I started fishing there was no internet forums, no nothing. Took me years to learn how to catch rainbows in rivers. Spent all my money on fly tying materials lures and bait, fished every bit of water I could find and get to on my bike. So the best advice I can give everyone is to just go fishing. And right now, the best place to go fishing is wherever there is open water.

    I sure as heck am not gonna give anyone any specifics on where I fish, put in like 15 minutes searching the internet and you can find out all the info you could want.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  16. #16
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Well good for you and I'm happy for you. You are, in fact, the local fishing hero and everyone here recognizes that. I learned the same way, but also have absolutely no problem asking questions when I don't know something or giving advice when someone else asks a question that I might be able to offer some advice to. This sport is about fellowship and having a good time with fellow anglers and helping those who ask questions so they can enjoy fishing that much more. I guess that's the difference between being a pro and a novice....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  17. #17
    Member aksnowfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I got nothing against pm, but when someone asks a question and you don't have anything to say but find it out on your own; you probably could get away with saying nothing and accomplishing the same thing. comes across as being a little stuck up. Im sure you had someone to go fishing with before, whether it be a brother or father. some people dont have that luxury. Even though no one in my family fly fishes and i learned it all on my own i appreciate the fact that i can get on a forum and ask people that are willing to help.
    what i think anyway

  18. #18
    Member muzzyman87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    311

    Default

    FishAddictAK, welcome to the forums!

    Believe it or not, it gets even better
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

  19. #19
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Well good for you and I'm happy for you. You are, in fact, the local fishing hero and everyone here recognizes that. I learned the same way, but also have absolutely no problem asking questions when I don't know something or giving advice when someone else asks a question that I might be able to offer some advice to. This sport is about fellowship and having a good time with fellow anglers and helping those who ask questions so they can enjoy fishing that much more. I guess that's the difference between being a pro and a novice....
    I totally agree, this sport is about fellowship and sharing, but there's a time and a place for everything... The time and place for hotspotting is not the internet with strangers, where everyone in the world can read it. Thats how Quartz creek goes from a quiet little secrete to a cluster****

    And yeah I'm an elitist *******, at least on the internet... But ask me a question and I'll answer with advice I'd give a stranger.

    Heck I don't share my fishing spots with just anyone in real life either
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  20. #20

    Default

    Fishing is a sport of fellowship and unification. It bridges gaps between young and old, races, sexes, religions, etc. Everyone can enjoy it no matter who you are and where you are from. There shouldnt be any I know more than you, I catch more than you, my spots are better than yours, what I do is the only way to do things, I have done this longer than you so its mine and not yours mentality. Monkey has a point of empirical knowledge being king. But on the other hand if you dont have anything good to say, best to just keep your mouth shut. Nothing wrong with giving a guy a taste without giving him the whole enchilada! This definitely has the making for a new reality TV show. We can call it, The Real Housewives of Alaska Fishing Forums! Theres enough *****ing going on anyways!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •