Thread: wish the big-su would hurry up and be open

Default wish the big-su would hurry up and be open

reading everyone talking about having the bait out wish I had my bait out now come on big su

Exclamation You could be out there now!

There were people out there last weekend on snowmachines setting up sites all over the place!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

I have a feeling I'll have the river on my mind while I'm on the ocean.. Never thought I'd think of a river in Alaska while on vacation. LOL.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    I have a feeling I'll have the river on my mind while I'm on the ocean.. Never thought I'd think of a river in Alaska while on vacation. LOL.
    LOL that what happen when you start working on the boat Im with you. Dont have a snowmachine thats why Im waiting for the river to open

Sorry to say the water looked pretty hard yesterday when I headed north to Fairbanks. Wish I had better news for you than that.

thanks for the info AK River Rat

A couple years ago it was May 15 before we could get below the Deshka. Could be a bit of a wait this year, too. It was cold and built lots of ice this winter.

Eye from sky... is saying 10 DAYS..

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    A couple years ago it was May 15 before we could get below the Deshka. Could be a bit of a wait this year, too. It was cold and built lots of ice this winter.
    Last Year the Yentna went out on May 4th... and Mrs Luce saw the first boat of the season go by their place on May 6th...

Just crossing the Knik a couple times a week, it appears to have more water and less ice then a couple weeks ago. I would think the Big Su would be right behind it in opening. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Just crossing the Knik a couple times a week, it appears to have more water and less ice then a couple weeks ago. I would think the Big Su would be right behind it in opening. Bud
    What your seeing is also a result of tidal action, but there isn't any tidal action up the Big Su where everyone wants to go right now...

FYI, the Big Su was flowing ice last Wednesday night when I drove from FAI to ANC. I headed back home Sunday afternoon and the Su was running clear. I saw no ice, well at least none I would worry about flowing. There was still a little shore ice, but not bad. If the river comes up I did not see enough shore ice to cause a problem.
    Good luck up there,
    ARR