Thread: My latest gas hog!

Default My latest gas hog!

The boat is still pretty dirty but I can offer some particulars. But first my apoligizes to Yukoner for not stopping as we had to make it back by Saturday night.

The boat is a long story and all I can say is third time was the charm. First choice was the Wooldridge Sport Drifter but the price was getting out of hand at $70K plus and that did not include any electronics, hard top, or kicker motor. Then I planned to buy the Idaho boat but for a couple of reasons the deal was not completed. But this was all my doing with no blame being placed on the guy selling the boat. Then somehow a dealer in Wa found I was looking and called me telling me about this boat:

2006 25 foot Thunderjet Maxim, 9 foot beam
    496-425 hp
    110 gallon tank
    140 hours
    Hamilton 212
    TWO combo GPS/Depth finder combos, one mounted on the dash and another under the roof so you can see it from the rear deck
    2009 Mercury 9.9 Big Foot kicker controlled by a Garmin TR 1
    Full canvas including a rear drop down curtain as well as a complete mooring cover and canvas that snapped around all the glass to protect it when traveling.
    Two Cannon electric down riggers
    Fish deck with pedestal seats, one on each side - not sure I like these
    Padded corner seats that connect to the railing around the fish deck.
    Stomp grate
    Dual batteries
    CD/radio
    VHF
    1/2 hard top with sliding side windows
    Two remote controlled golights mounted on the roof
    Transom fish box that drains to the outside
    Electric trim tabs.

The boat was described as being in like new condition and on the inside it is. But the white paint strip on the outside is suffering from a bad case of "dock rash" and might be repainted down the road. Another negative is the rear benches are somehow tied together with the front suspension seats so I need to figure out a way to separate them so the benches can be removed for out Yukon trips. Took her for a test ride with 4 adults onboard and she got on step immediately and is LOUD! While I was in Wa I had the electric brakes replaced with Stainless Kodiacs, electric over hydraulics.
    Priced out a new one with the dealer while I was there and it came in at $110K. Managed to pick this one up for $49K and pretty happy with the deal at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

And a couple of more pictures. The rear seats are removeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tennessee

Very cool! What do you figure you burn will be at a 30 mph cruise?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You should have alot of great times in that boat

Like that raised deck in the back. My fuel guess is 13-15 gph.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Nice looking tub Randy bet you can't wait to get her in the water around here!

Am hoping she burns only about 10 gph lightly loaded cruising at 25 mph or so. Loaded for the Yukon am betting she goes through 16-19 gallons per hour until she lightens up. However, she has room to carry the small Zodiac which we can hunt out of rather than drive the Thunderjet all day meaning we will use very little gas once we arrive at our destination. Bottom line is you gotta pay to play
    One main reason I decided on this boat was the 9 foot beam and 7 foot bottom. It should allow it to carry a heavier load easier than a skinnier boat and keep it on step at a lower speed. But all that is just theory at this point until we can get some running time in her.

Did pick up a Lewis winch as well, its only a question of when, not if, we stick her
    Tennessee

No need to apologize, I know what its like on the road: when you get that momentum going, its dang hard to slow her down.
    I'm going to have a beer with you Ak boys one of these days.
    Great looking rig, I was surprised to see the T Jet and not the IBC boat. Should do the job.
    Enjoy!!
    Paul
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thanks for the pics. Looks pretty nice. Ill see at the get together right?

Joe
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Very nice boat, I am always amazed how wide the thuder jets are.
    Off topic- what do you have on the walls and ceiling of your garage, metal siding? Looks very reflective, I like it.

Not my garage. Photos were taken at the previous owners place. I would kill for a place big enough to park a boat inside, lol.
    Will try to make the GTG on Sunday. All our summer Saturdays are reserved for our business at the Downtown Market.
    Tennessee

Very nice looking toy, Randy. I was surprised to see the picture of the steering wheel. I was thinking you'd bought the boat that had the stick. I've been puttering around with your old toy...I'm itching to get it wet. I took out the sounder last night and the new one's going in tonight, I hope.

Nice ride, Randy. You ought to be able to whack a moose or two with that beast. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal, as well.

Nice boat. Seems like a great deal. I'm hoping to pick your brain some about your Yukon experiences (just general stories, no secret hot spots!) at the gathering.

Nice looking boat for sure! Very interested in getting a look at that hard top. Good to hear you made it back without a hitch.

Default Nice...

Randy,
    Very nice setup... wish I had one for a Yukon trip this fall... Wish you a ton of success with your new boat. If you pass a 24' Sea Ark this fall say hi...
    Tony

Thanks guys. Now if only gas would drop down to about $2 a gallon. Am betting she is a thristy one and the last of her breed as of now since the 8.1's are now history.
    Tennessee

Very nice boat...looks like you're in for a fun summer!
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...