Thread: Home made Bear Lure?

Wink Home made Bear Lure?

I"ve been reading up on black bear lures, thought I would try some Anise extract mixed with mineral oil, anyone ever used this as a lure by itself and, not along with bait? Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

longhunter7;

My dad used too burry a chicken and a salmon in a jar and leave it there for a couple of weeks. Then he'd dig it up strain the liquid into a bottle and call it bear lure. The rest of the fammily called it just nasty!!! Man what a stink!! I myself havent been on a bear hunt since I was a kid, bear tastes like poopa, I focuss on the tastier criters but I have a freind whose a verey sucessful bear hunter I'll ask what his opinion is on the oil and anise.

Never used just plain anise oil. always have put it around my bait. The stuff works, the bears will pretty much check out everything that you put the stuff on. The stuff goes a long way too.

Wink

Thanks, folks our black bear firearms season is set so the females, with cubs can den before the guns start to fire. In a good mast year thats where they will be, on the beechnuts, trying to pull them in my direction , if I can. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I use similar, but not exactly that. It will work as an attractant, but you'll need food to keep them around.

Sents are illegal unless they are at a registered bait station no?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.