Thread: First Aid Course For Kids?

Question First Aid Course For Kids?

Anyone know of any first aid courses that would suitable for age 11 or so? I looked around at some Red Cross stuff, but didn't see anything particularly targeting kids. Scouts would be an option, but I'm not sure if we can fit another full-time commitment into the schedule. Some of the other threads under "Hunting" got me thinking about how prepared my kids would be if something happened to myself while we were out in a remote area. And then my oldest (12) had a fairly serious accident at home on Friday that luckily my wife came upon about 15 minutes after it happened. If something like it (slipped off kitchen counter and impaled leg on a cabinet handle!) would have happened out in the bush results could have been ugly without some knowledge/training.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Glad to hear ....

I dont know of any specific programs but I just had to comment. I am glad someone has enough sense to ask this question. I am an ER nurse and an avid outdoorsman. A perspective that is a bit unique you might say. I think its great that you are looking for such a class. You may consider getting a video/book purchased online and teaching the kids yourself. Get some basic materials for dressings,slings,etc.. The local hospital/EMT may donate some. Any info would be better than none. Maybe ask some local paramedics and fireman. They are as well trained in that arena as anyone. They may have some training videos/materials to offer. And if they are motivated even the slightest by your idea, they may pitch in and offer a hand. Who knows. Nice to see someone teaching accountability. Our society has lost that. Most people expect everyone else to take care of them when the s*@t hits the fan. And it happens to all of us at some point. Its a matter of if, not when.

After a little more poking around I did find that the Red Cross does offer a couple of classes for youths. The have a Youth Wilderness Survival course that is being offered in Fairbanks on March 24th at Hamme Pool. Looks like a good one to get them to.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default "the Kids' guide to First Aid"

A school Nurse gave me this book 2 years ago to use in a presentation for a class of 9-10 yr olds, and it was so good I ordered another one for my stepdaughters to keep at their other home. Title is "The Kids' Guide to First Aid all about bruises, burns, stings, sprains & other ouches" Author is Karen Buhler Gale, R.N. It's an awesome book for kids & has not only what to do in it, but also some show & tell experiments that shows why. (Great one with frozen meat to show the effects of thawing, rubbing, and refreezing as in frostbite.) Barnes & Noble will order it if it's not in stock.

Default Give the Red Cross another try?

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    Anyone know of any first aid courses that would suitable for age 11 or so? I looked around at some Red Cross stuff, but didn't see anything particularly targeting kids. Scouts would be an option, but I'm not sure if we can fit another full-time commitment into the schedule. Some of the other threads under "Hunting" got me thinking about how prepared my kids would be if something happened to myself while we were out in a remote area. And then my oldest (12) had a fairly serious accident at home on Friday that luckily my wife came upon about 15 minutes after it happened. If something like it (slipped off kitchen counter and impaled leg on a cabinet handle!) would have happened out in the bush results could have been ugly without some knowledge/training.
    You might want to give the Red Cross another try? I had a similar concern when my 9 year old was about to go off to camp for 4 days with her class. I got in touch with the local Red Cross office here in anchorage and they provided all the class materials, offered to schedule an instructor for me, and even let me help teach the class. It was a lot of fun, the kids had a great time with it, and it didn't cost me anything. (I did make a contribution to the Red Cross to try offset some of their expenses in providing this kind of thing when it was all said and done, but they never asked for it)

Anyway, I'm sure if you contacted your Red Cross headquarters up there they'd help you out if you wanted to do something along these lines.

Good Luck, Chris

If you know a person connected with a Boy Scout troop in your area, talk to them about having your kid(s) attend a troop first aid program or merit badge course as a guest. In my years in Scouting in Anchorage, our troop would sometimes have friends of scouts join us for camping trips or other events. Usually they were checking out the program for possible membership. You may find that's an option, too -- we had several boys who were very occasional attendees, but hopefully they got something out of the program. Most troops put together some sort of an annual plan in the fall, so you might be able to pick a few key dates and get them on the calendar.