Thread: 24 hours

Default 24 hours

I was in Homer on Saturday morning helping akshootnscoot on his boat when "The Mean One" informed me that I would be taking her out into the Sound for shrimp and bears since this would be her only free weekend this spring. I busted it from Homer and we went through the tunnel at 7:47 pm on Saturday. After firing up the boat and getting gear on board, we pulled out of the harbor to find shrimp pots everywhere close to town. BTW, the parking lot was packed with boats and trailers, but I thought with the nice weather most of the guys/gals would be farther from town. We finally found a spot to drop the pots about 11:30 pm and anchored up with some pizza and wine.

The next morning we were sipping coffee and glassing the slopes when we spotted a really nice blackie staring down at the water where the birds were attacking a herring ball. Unfortunately, my wife did not realize that you now need a harvest ticket for black bears and neglected to pick one up. I passed since I have a muzzleloader hunt planned for next month that we are filming. That was one lucky bruin.

We saw two different sets of tracks coming out of gopher holes up high and moving down to the beach. There is less snow than normal, especially on the south-facing slopes. Avalanches were starting to come down as the day warmed up.

Trolled for kings for a couple of hours with no luck, picked up about 15lbs of tails from the pots, tied the boat up and made it back through the 8pm tunnel on Sunday. On the way home, akshootnscoot called to let me know he was looking at a nice bear in a slide along Turnagain arm. Yup, looks like spring finally made it. Wish I wasn't going to Phoenix tomorrow to watch the Redwings play, I think I would have to be playing in the Sound.

Everyone heading out, have fun and be careful.

Sounds like an awesome little trip!

Enjoy the game! I hope they shoot the puck more and pick it up on defense. Saturday's game got too close for comfort.

Yeah, I recorded the Saturday game and just finished watching it. The first half of the second period the wings were putting on a clinic, Franzen comes back in and it was like a bantam team took over. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    I was in Homer on Saturday morning helping akshootnscoot on his boat when "The Mean One" informed me that I would be taking her out into the Sound for shrimp and bears since this would be her only free weekend this spring. I busted it from Homer and we went through the tunnel at 7:47 pm on Saturday. After firing up the boat and getting gear on board, we pulled out of the harbor to find shrimp pots everywhere close to town. BTW, the parking lot was packed with boats and trailers, but I thought with the nice weather most of the guys/gals would be farther from town. We finally found a spot to drop the pots about 11:30 pm and anchored up with some pizza and wine.

The next morning we were sipping coffee and glassing the slopes when we spotted a really nice blackie staring down at the water where the birds were attacking a herring ball. Unfortunately, my wife did not realize that you now need a harvest ticket for black bears and neglected to pick one up. I passed since I have a muzzleloader hunt planned for next month that we are filming. That was one lucky bruin.

We saw two different sets of tracks coming out of gopher holes up high and moving down to the beach. There is less snow than normal, especially on the south-facing slopes. Avalanches were starting to come down as the day warmed up.

Trolled for kings for a couple of hours with no luck, picked up about 15lbs of tails from the pots, tied the boat up and made it back through the 8pm tunnel on Sunday. On the way home, akshootnscoot called to let me know he was looking at a nice bear in a slide along Turnagain arm. Yup, looks like spring finally made it. Wish I wasn't going to Phoenix tomorrow to watch the Redwings play, I think I would have to be playing in the Sound.

Everyone heading out, have fun and be careful.
    Awesome! You filming for TeeVee or personal? Good luck hunting.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

15 lbs of tails in 1 pick? Geez, maybe ADFG should reconsider going back to 8 pots per boat!!

No, just personal. I started filming hunts about 30 years ago and got some classic footage, then for some reason I got out of it for a while and just recently started filming again. I think the bulky cameras, dead batteries, and dealing with editing tapes just got to be too much. Now, these little digital cameras make it really simple to shoot and edit. The cards are easy to carry and hold a lot of footage and the batteries are way smaller and last longer. We got some great bear hunts on film last season, along with some sheep and moose hunting footage. Maybe someday a great grandkid will watch and see what it was like way back then...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    15 lbs of tails in 1 pick? Geez, maybe ADFG should reconsider going back to 8 pots per boat!!
    That was two picks, but I only fished three pots.

I have this week of so I may need to head down south to see if I can glass up an early bear. Or maybe I can sweet talk my father in-law to take the 32 footer down to Whittier early for some bear hunting. I think I have some Moosehead I can take with me...wish me luck. HAHAHA

AZinAK

Get out the brooms, the Wings swept it! Headed to the range tomorrow to make sure the ol' "lead slingshot" is still hitting paper where I left her, then it's playing hookey on Friday to see if I can't find some teeth and claws...

better check NOAA 8foot on friday 10' saturday i was heading out today but changed my mind

8-10 foot is perfect, no crowds and easy stalking. Wish I was up there...