Thread: what keeps your arrow quiet while drawing?

Default what keeps your arrow quiet while drawing?

I just shot a few dozen arrows after a long winter of no shooting, and while drawing i noticed it my shafts make a lot of noise sliding through my rest. I have a piece of moleskin stuck to my riser where my rest drops to keep that from tinging once it falls away but I was wondering if anybody has any solutions to this? It seems if i put moleskin on my ripcord it seems it would affect my shots. Thanks for any advice.

i have the rip cord code red with the mole skin on the launcher and it makes zero noise you may be able to get the mole skin they put on the launcher at the factory or just make your own.

I've never even heard of it before their sight sells a 3 pack of the moleskin for a few bucks I might have to call them tomorrow and see if they will fit on their older rest

putting the moleskin on the rest should cure the problem. shouldn't change your shot all that much, but better to do it and work out the bugs now.

If your cheap like me and dont want to spend alot of money get some clear finger nail polish and put it on your rest were your arrow comes across

I have some on my trophy taker drop away and works great...

Hoythunter, I don't know that 4 bucks for nail polish is cheaper then moleskin unless you save it and re use it.

Very true i guess i assumed it was cheap i always bummed some from the wife she buys it like its cheap lol

also how much would be S&H for the moleskin unless you can find some locally?

the nail polish sounds like the perfect option. However when i asked my wife for some she didnt have any so I rounded up some small pieces of moleskin from my archery box fitted one on the rest, Keeps it my draw very quiet but seemes to have thrown off my shot a bit, and also glued and formed a larger camo piece to where my ripcord hits after it drops.

What bow do you shoot because your ripcord shouldnt be hitting as it drops?

I started shooting QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD rests last year. They come with several custom laser cut felt kits. http://www.qadinc.com/shop/product_i...products_id=37
    Very quiet [significantly increased my accuracy] on both aluminum and carbon arrows.
    Oh yeah, these guys give a military discount.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I started shooting QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD rests last year. They come with several custom laser cut felt kits. http://www.qadinc.com/shop/product_i...products_id=37
    Very quiet [significantly increased my accuracy] on both aluminum and carbon arrows.
    Oh yeah, these guys give a military discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    What bow do you shoot because your ripcord shouldnt be hitting as it drops?
    07 bowtech allegiance it hits where it rests on the shelf of the riser.

I used some stuff that is like mole skin, it comes in squares that they have in different cammo patterns. I put the stuff on the drop away arms, top capture bar, where it hits the shelf when it goes down, and anywhere else that could possibly have something clank against it. Didn't affect accuracy at all.

If you use a mechanical arrow rest that looks like piece of wire that falls away when the arrow is launched. Go to Radio Shack and get a couple of pieces of shrink wrap for wire. Slide it on the rest and then heat with a heat gun for a few seconds; DONE !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Another user of Moleskin. Since it is in the pack anyways for long hunts, might as well use something that has a dual purpose.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Personally, I would NEVER use moleskin on my drop away...but that is just me. I think it was NAP that I first found sells a shrink wrap Teflon tube that I slide onto my metal post arrow rest, heat with a lighter until it fits skin tight, then go shoot arrows. With my Beman arrows, drawing back over this drop away was like scrapping fingers across a chalk board. With the shrink wrap, no sound at all and a smoother draw. I would bet some electricians shrink wrap would work just as well. So far, my wrap has lasted for more than 1,000 arrow shots with no sign of wear at all :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather