Thread: Bait is in!!!

Default Bait is in!!!

Got our baits in this am, we left at 0300 while the snow was still hard and crusty. I think itís the deepest Iíve ever seen in up there at this time a year. 18Ē to 36Ē still on the ground. The lakes were touch and go but passable. We were able to drag over 250 pounds of bait out there by ourselves and it was the easiest trip we have ever had. GOING AT NIGHT IS THE SECRET!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a couple of pics of the trail conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice did you see any sign yet? I put my first one in yesterday do my second tomorrow. I saw one set of tracks that were plenty melted into the snow. I was in 16a and will be in 14a tomorrow.

No bear sign yet, lots of lynx tracks thoughÖ This is my 5th year at this location, extremely hard to get to. The 16th of May is the earliest Iíve had a hit and normally itís between the 24 to 26 before they start coming in on a pattern. I just like to get my heavy stuff out via the sleigh now. I want even go back out until the weekend of the 14thÖ

Nice setup! I'll be heading to 7 this coming weekend.

Good looking barrels, Wilder. Good season to ya, bud!

Taylor

Dang, you guys sure are early! I haven't even picked up my bait yet to get into the field! I'll have bait on the ground by May 1 though!

Thanks Taylor, going with a sweet barrel only and dog food/whatever barrel this year. I painted them this year so they donít stick out like a sore thumb in my videos. Iím going to try and document what they like the best with my camera, theyíre about 10í apart and I should get camera coverage of both at the same time. Iíve also got a chain in the middle of the two that I attach 5 gallon grease buckets to start things off. This is my 5th year at this spot and I get about a 7 to 3 ratio of blacks over browns. They seem to tolerate each other for the most part "so far"Ö Brown sugar and marsh mellows has been the favorite food source the last two years.

7 to 3 ratio.. not bad! Sounds like you have a great spot all dialed in. Good luck!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.