Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tent Doldrums

Default Tent Doldrums

So... bad weather hits.... two days in a tent, what do you do to fight boredom can't re-read the same paperback 5 times. Mist electronics are only going to give you a few hours... What do u do?

I thought that is what cards were for... or carve stuff which is useful, like a spoon for camp use... or sew on something like a holster. I always bring handiwork to keep me busy. There is always a rifle that could be field stripped and cleaned.

Audio Books on an MP3 player that uses AAA batteries. The books are free downloads from the library, and one AAA battery lasts nearly 20 hours. You can pack a dozen books this way in less space than one paperback, and you don't need a light to read them. Works for me.

AAA powered MP3 players are getting harder to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    So... bad weather hits.... two days in a tent, what do you do to fight boredom can't re-read the same paperback 5 times. Mist electronics are only going to give you a few hours... What do u do?
    Sleep, eat, hydrate, defecate, repeat.

Kindle...tons of books and good battery life for the size and weight of one decent sized paper back. Just make sure to turn off the wifi/3g or it will search and kill your battery.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Sleep, eat, hydrate, defecate, repeat.
    Always worked for me, might add brush teeth in the sequence. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

If youíre out hunting you have no business being in a tent. You get off your axx and get out of the tent and go hunting. I donít know of any animal except man, that think bad weather is a time to not hunt or find food. That is one of the question I ask a potential hunting partner and you better get it right if you want to go hunting with me.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If youíre out hunting you have no business being in a tent. You get off your axx and get out of the tent and go hunting. I donít know of any animal except man, that think bad weather is a time to not hunt or find food. That is one of the question I ask a potential hunting partner and you better get it right if you want to go hunting with me.
    Not true. If the mountain is fogged in, it's neither productive nor safe to go up and chase sheep or goats...that's a good way to walk off a cliff. Additionally, there have been times when I've been stuck in camp for days waiting on the plane to come pick us up. Certainly there are situations that warrant staying in camp/the tent.

You"re being facetious, correct?? If not, I guess you hunt in more favorable conditions and environments than I have had the good fortune to experience. Yes, I have been out when it was necessary to hunker down and weather out the storms. Weather that was not fit for man nor beast. I guarantee the wildlife was doing the same. In fact at times the conditions were so harsh that even venturing out of shelter was almost impossible and could even be life threatening due to high winds, poor visibility, cold temperatures, snow, sleet, rain, fog, etc. I'm not talking about just sh---y weather but, real severe weather.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Count me out, no prob... Socked in, no visibility, sideways rain/snow at 6500ft on a 20 mile walk in sheep hunt, my hunting partner better have the brains to stay in the tent and help me make sure it doesn't get blown off the mountain or we could both be in for it.

Seems like I started a fire storm. Like anything you have to use common sense, of course if it life threatening you stay in the tent. Most guys seem to think a little rain is life threatening.

Count me out, no prob... Socked in, no visibility, sideways rain/snow at 6500ft on a 20 mile walk in sheep hunt, my hunting partner better have the brains to stay in the tent and help me make sure it doesn't get blown off the mountain or we could both be in for it.

A big 10-4 on that!!! Won't find me walking around aimlessly in the mountains with only 100 yards of visibility when I could be resting my legs and really make a push for an animal when I can actually hike towards something I spotted. Moose hunting sure I can see just sitting and calling even when its socked in in the trees and what not, but in the mountains its a different ball game IMO.

Confessions of a Moose Hunter....

I've been known to hunker up next to the woodstove in my buddies wall tent in the pouring rain and wind moose hunting.

Confessions of a Moose Hunter....

I've been known to hunker up next to the woodstove in my buddies wall tent in the pouring rain and wind moose hunting.
    As have I.....but we were up to 1 AM the two previous nights dealing with a moose shot each night. The motivation to go out in the rain diminishes some when you have two moose already hanging in camp

If you can find some work on some Diamond Willow during bad weather. This is more a of a something to do at Moose camp as other hunts may not have you in areas with any Diamond Willow. Or make a moose call out of birch bark. Reading for me lasts about 45 min without needing a break, same for cards. Or maybe you can work on fleshing a hide...

Default Laughing just a little

I got stuck on Kuiu for three extra days on a fall bear hunt. We already had two bears but could have got another. It rained 3 inches a day for those three days. Even for a rainforest guy, thats alot. I read, talked, slept, ate, the camp was well organized, sang, and cracked jokes. I still remember the Jet Boil Cafe' mon! I put on all my Grundens and roamed around a little but it was just heavy, heavy, heavy rain. I got a little hunting in but it wasn't anything spectacular. The animals honestly laid back under a log somwhere too. When it stopped raining, whoa! they came out like crazy. Bears, wolf, sea mammals, moose, birds...........

I've wandered around on a mountain top in the white out. Not really storm but just low clouds a few times. I only do this in areas I've frequented and know the nuances of the alpine environment. Dispite that I've still ended up doing a circle or two getting my bearings.

Word of wisdom here.......don't drop off any hill unless you are 100% certain of your destination and trajectory. Your better off sitting down for an hour, eating some grub, and resting waiting for a clearing than pounding out useless elevation.

I hunt the alpine in bad weather. Sometimes I use that to my advantage and elevate in the sloppy just to be there when the clouds part. It's a good strategy for areas your familiar with.

Yeah, this is where you find out the downside of those little two pound backpacking tents. It gets pretty cramped and sore in there. Its nice to have a book but you are right, they suck the second or third reading. You could always use it for fire starter when you are done. I always carry an extra small tarp so I can get an area out of the weather but out of the tent. Then you could pass the time having hot beverages if you remembered them!
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

I was wondering if there is any mini electronic game player that has a long battery life?? I should probably just ask my kids (lol).

Bring extra books, or at very least know what books your buddy is bringing. Did a sheep hunt in 2008 where we spent 4 days in driving rain and fog to the tent. After reading my books twice, I looked at my buddy's collection; Advanced Mathmatical Theory ~ Classical field theory. Yeesh.

I read my books thrice.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I do pack a very small shirt pocket sized New Testament. Bible reading, Fellowship and Prayer is great thing to do in the mtns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast