Thread: Shrimping from a Kayak video. 04/16/2011

Default Shrimping from a Kayak video. 04/16/2011

Ok. I can't figure this software out. But I didn't want to upload another poorly edited video and eat bandwith until i can figure it out. Didn't mess with the audio so it cuts in and out. At any rate, not going to win any awards but you should get an idea of what i went through to catch shrimp from a Kayak. It was remarkably easy and stable...but it was also very calm out there.

Here's the video link: http://youtu.be/Z-EPDlMzhas

Dude, Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to my first shrimping excursion by hopefully next week. How long did that winding take to bring a pot to the surface and at what depth did you drop at?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Dude, Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to my first shrimping excursion by hopefully next week. How long did that winding take to bring a pot to the surface and at what depth did you drop at?
    The entire raw video from being within 10 yards of the pot, to pulling, to redropping pot was 20 minutes. The winding portion was a little under 5 minutes. That particular pot was set at 400 ft. The pots are small though. 12X 12X24 inch pots that 4 lbs without the weight. I added 2 pounds of lead to hold it down.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Sure brought a smile to my face

Big happy sigh! ~~~~~only 1 month and 2 days! good setup you have there!!

So here's a little cleaner version. Pretty much the same as before. less choppy initial and ending pictures. Took some of the stuff out including the audio.

http://youtu.be/GTbdqiY9cZM

Cool! your getting me closer to buying that kayak!!! I have the cash for the kayak, just not for the kayak and to outfit it as well

I like your blog too

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Cool! your getting me closer to buying that kayak!!! I have the cash for the kayak, just not for the kayak and to outfit it as well

I like your blog too
    Nice! I think I am getting myself closer to buying one that has better range! lol.

We are now officially on alert for Marine forecast in Cook Inlet that call for 2ft or less, less than 10mph steady, preferably NOT blowing from the east (away from shore). Going to try and catch a few chicken halibut close to shore and maybe get really lucky and tie into a King. If nothing else, one should keep busy with the skates, sharks, cod, and miscellaneous other fish.

I think the trick is going to be staying away from the no fishing zones and just drift with the tide compensating for the wind factor. I plan to stay within 400 yards of shore for the most part. Mooch Herring and use butterfly jigs.

New Kayak Modification project is to add lights. Ordered up 4 underwater LED lights that should have the equivalent of a 100watt Halogen bulb. I will attach them in a semi-permanent way. Throw in a 550 LED fishing light you can hang over the side and see what I can catch. I am super curious as to what it might attract in the saltwater but I have a feeling its going to produce lots of BIG trout in area lakes if my past experience pans out. Stay tuned to the blogs! lol.