Thread: Currency vs Proficiency

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Currency vs Proficiency

Because this last semester at UAA has been TOUGH, I've not been able to keep up with my flight lessons regularly. I've only been up a few times since January. Well, I went up yesterday & I swear, I felt like I'd never before been in a cockpit. I was messing up my checklists, skipping things. I made so many STUPID mistakes that I swore my CFI to silence He was with me (THANK GOD). Given the errors made, I think the day was extremely valuable with my biggest lesson learned: the difference between currency & proficiency. One may be current but in no way proficient! I've heard our safety officer say this over and over...well now I know what me means. In the end though...I loved being in the a/c again

That's for dang sure. I fly 700+ hours a year and feel the rust if I take a month off. Good thinking on taking a CFI up with you too!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    Because this last semester at UAA has been TOUGH, I've not been able to keep up with my flight lessons regularly. I've only been up a few times since January. Well, I went up yesterday & I swear, I felt like I'd never before been in a cockpit. I was messing up my checklists, skipping things. I made so many STUPID mistakes that I swore my CFI to silence He was with me (THANK GOD). Given the errors made, I think the day was extremely valuable with my biggest lesson learned: the difference between currency & proficiency. One may be current but in no way proficient! I've heard our safety officer say this over and over...well now I know what me means. In the end though...I loved being in the a/c again
    My nearly 20,000-Alaska hours came with almost everyday flying. If I laid off for even one week, I could tell the difference. I would very quickly lose "the edge" required for serious outback Alaska flying. You'll never forget how to fly, but the proficiency rapidly looks for a place to hide. Glad you took the CFI with you ...........................

Well you have to know your weaknesses..

Best way is kinda like meditation. Get alone and quiet. Go over and over each procedure in your mind's eye until it's 2nd nature.
    Go sit in the plane and do it if you have to. Once you do that some you'll be fine.

Don't forget to get instruction on emergency procedures. As many as you can afford to learn.

Just my 2-cents..

RR