Thread: Baiting the Deshka river area?

Default Baiting the Deshka river area?

My buddy wants to go all in and bait somewhere up the Deshka. I figure it's as good a place as any to try. I was planning on heading up north above the bridge, but with as many horror stories as I've been reading about the Grizz we decided to pass. I know some of you guys bait the river system of the Big Su and I'd like to hear some of your experiences. Thanks.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

In a nut-shell the river system (in general) has a number of boats, cabins, grizz and a ton of bait stations! I saw a 2009 report from F&G that included an overview of baits and I couldn't believe how many were out there (and the list didn't take into consideration the illegal ones). I'm sure you can find somewhere to bait; it just may take a little work on your part. FYI - I heard a group is planning an additional 20 or more bait stations somewhere out there. If you go, make sure to get a ways off the river - the deeper the better.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Thanks. I figured that would be the case. I'm really not sure at this point what we're going to do. Trying to maximize all the options really and go from there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Once you get up the Deshka a few miles the locals have her pretty well covered with bait stations. All of them that I know of last year quickly became grizz baits and were pulled. Seems grizz and wolves have moved in that neighborhood.
    Maybe if you ran up towards Neil lake you might get away from the locals....if you can make it up there in your boat all spring.
    BK

Thanks guys that helps a lot . Don't think I'll waste the time then.

My bait site is located a bit past the bridge. I usually don't have many grizzlies come in. If they do its usually at the end of the season. In the past two years I been baiting there I can count on one hand the number of grizzlies I had visit my site. Maybe my area is just the exception because i hear about guys in Petersville area having grizz problems...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    My bait site is located a bit past the bridge. I usually don't have many grizzlies come in. If they do its usually at the end of the season. In the past two years I been baiting there I can count on one hand the number of grizzlies I had visit my site. Maybe my area is just the exception because i hear about guys in Petersville area having grizz problems...good luck!
    My original plan was to bait about 6 miles past the bridge. I'm thinking that is what I'm gonna do.

Keep an eye out.. I know 5 guys baiting once you hit the 4 or 5 mile mark. If you can fly the area, IMO it would be a good investment.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.