Thread: Cleaning Kits

Default Cleaning Kits

I spent a day at the range today, and now just spent about 5 hours cleaning guns. I use the Hoppe's cleaning kits, and the birchwood casey bores scrubber, but keep finding copper and lead in my barrels. Does anybody have a recomendation on a really good cleaning kit that can help clean this out of my bores.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

cr-10 and a a lot of patches.

wipe out works good, I last got it at wild west gun store, M Pro 7 also works well too

I have a lot of experience in cleaning rifle bores and Hoppe's and BW Bore Scrubber don't do jack to get copper out. The best products out there are (for foam soakers) Wipeout and Gunslick Foam Cleaner. For quicker but more labor intensive bore cleaner, nothing beats Bore Tech. It comes in Bore Tech Eliminator, and/ or CU+2 Copper remover and C4 Carbon remover. I use anyone or combination of hese products depending on howquick i need a clean bore. With a factory barrel, to do it right with either is likely to last at least a day if not more,

Follow the directions.

How do these work with removing lead?

As swamp donkey said I use the Barnes CR-10. It will work but it takes some work to make it work. What ever brand you use make sure you clean it out of the bore when you are finished. Some will do harm to the bore if left in there a long time. I would be all ears if somebody knows something that will do better.

for a new rifle i generall use a standard bore cleaner (butch's bore shine, boretech benchrest blend, or shooters choice) followed by jb paste. with a rifle that has been previously owned i like barnes cr10 or montana extreme. ALWAYS follow the instructions and NEVER cross contaminate solvents, as this may (read WILL) damage your bore.

i like to use a bronze brush with a patch and seem to have good results....but do go through a few brushes. in my opinion, don't bother with "quick fix" foams, or boresnakes. if they worked, benchrest shooters and military & police snipers would use them. my .02
    happy trails.
    jh

Most all of the comments are useful to you - ALWAYS use bronze brushes and NEVER, NEVER stainless steel !! - cleaning a new factory barrel can be tedious at best, and seemingly never ending - I clean as described and when "clean" I then boil a little water and pour it down the bore, let it sit for a few minutes and wet patch it (you might be aghast at what will come out on your patch) but this crud is coming out of the metal pores so won't be difficult to dislodge - I then wet patch and liberally scrub "in" with a new bronze brush TETRA OIL, I mean 30 - 50 brush strokes, re-oil the brush 1 or 2 times - and dry patch the oil all out, dry - From then on you will be amazed at how much more easily your bore will clean - I normally retreat with TETRA after each cleaning - FYI, I've found boresnakes to work well if used often, as in drag it through your bore between groups when developing loads and such BUT boresnakes are not a quickfix to the chore of cleaning your barrel - I drag through the bore every night in hunting camp and a couple of drops of TETRA on the brush portion only will help ( and hurt nothing) Last, don't be frustrated by "green" patches either because the copper solvent will also be dissoving your brush a little bit too

Question: In yer Hoppe's cleaning kit, do you have the copper solvent, or just the Hoppes #9 solvent? To get the copper out, you'll need to use the powerful acting amonia based copper solvent, that Hoppes makes. Hoppes #9 isn't as concentrated as the Copper Solvent that they make. Likewise, you'll need to soak yer barrel with the copper solvent for x amount of time, in order to see results. One way to do that would be to either plug the muzzel or the breach, & add enough solvent to soak in without evaporating. Once you allow it to soak for x amount of time, you'll then see black oozing outta yer barrel, & you won't see as much copper. If you use a nylon brush, you'll save yerself some heartache of destroying your metal brushes from the solvent. You also should be able to soak yer barrel with the Hoppes #9 solvent & see results of lead removal, used in the same manner of the copper solvent.

With the copper solvent, it's very important that you get out all of the solvent from your bore, as the salts in the solvent potentially could cause rust in your bore, I've read on other forums that using copious amounts of hot water poured into your barrel, & then wiped dry, & then Hoppes #9 followed, should alleviate this issue.

Good luck!

I bought a bottle of the copper cleaning stuff. Maybe I am just not soaking the barrel long enough. I'm going head down to sportsmans tomorrow and get some of the stuff you guys are suggesting. Looks like I need to buy a few more brushes too. I wore out my last one on this range trip. I appreciate all the suggestions, and advice.

I've found that for copper removers to work well the bore needs to be cleaned of the other junk that could block it from coming into full contact with the copper deposits. I clean with MPro-7 first then use Sweet's if i need to remove copper. Clean again with the MPro-7 to clear the bore of any copper remover and Break-Free.
    Now what ?