Thread: Inflatable repair kit

Default Inflatable repair kit

I am doing a float hunt this Sept. I was reading in NRS Catolgne and saw a repair tape. Will this work for your repair kit or should you still use the old method of material and glue. Let me know.

there are a few different base fabrics used in the boats, that will dictate what you use ofr arepair kit, the tape may do you well on an AIRE bladder, but get you killed on an NRS tube.

Thumbs up Tear-Aid Tape

Barko,

I think you're referring to Tear-Aid tape? This is a somewhat new product on the market, and it seems to work very well on all boat fabrics. It's a urethane tape, but very flexible and will adhere well to PVC boats (AIRE, Maravia, SOTAR, etc.) and to rubber boats (AVON, Achilles, Riken, NRS, Hyside, etc.). Some are using it for permanent repairs. Application is as simple as cleaning the area with solvent, drying it, and applying the tape!

I would be okay with fixing small leaks permanently with this stuff, but larger tears of a structural nature are going to need the support of a regular glued patch. That said, you might be able to limp out of the field with a Tear-Aid patch and deal with it later in the comfort of your garage.

A REPAIR SEMINAR

If you're available, Tracey Harmon will be conducting a seminar on the care and repair of inflatable boats at this year's Great Alaska Sportsman Show. Anyone interested in this should attend. Tracey knows more about repair than anyone I personally know. Plus he's a likeable Okie, of sorts. But don't tell him I said so...

Best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike and everyone for the information.

Default Tear Aid tape

Mike is right,, great stuff, and I would not leave home without it now on a float trip.
    there are two types of the tape, so make sure you know what your boat is made out of before you just grab a box. Type A is for most all Rubber thru PVC. The type B is for Vinyl materials, like most type Water toys, air mattresses etc. They have different glues to work on different surfaces.
    You know, I just love this site.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default duct tape

I am glad for the link to the new (to me) tape; I'll get a roll of it. Sounds great. In the meantime, don't ignore duct tape. A friend fixed his Avon floor (10" x 4" L-shaped tear) with duct tape on the Talkeetna once, and it lasted for 2 or 3 more days. The next year, he still had the duct tape on there for the next trip. It worked, but I think he was pushing the envelope....

Default Repair Tape

A friend used the repair tape, featured in the NRS catalog, on a 5 inch tear in his tube and it stayed on for the next 12 days on a Grand Canyon trip and he forgot about it until his end of the year pump up and clean up on his boat. He had run 4 more class III and IV rivers with that boat and the tape held.

Since then there has been a roll of that tape in my repair kit. haven't had to use it yet...

Lori

Default Thanks again

Again thanks again for the reply. Now I only have to find out what the boat is made of.

I have an old boat. Just something to start out with on class I rivers. Does anyone know what my boat might be made of.

Campways, pioneer, comercial series is the name on the boat. 13' with 17" tubes 4 air chambers. I need to add more D-rings for tie downs but I believe it will work fine. They said it will be alittle small for 2 hunters and 2 moose. So I will bring a tube to pull behind to help take up some of the weight.

Thanks
    Barko

Default Tear-aid Repair tape

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    Again thanks again for the reply. Now I only have to find out what the boat is made of.

I have an old boat. Just something to start out with on class I rivers. Does anyone know what my boat might be made of.

Campways, pioneer, comercial series is the name on the boat. 13' with 17" tubes 4 air chambers. I need to add more D-rings for tie downs but I believe it will work fine. They said it will be alittle small for 2 hunters and 2 moose. So I will bring a tube to pull behind to help take up some of the weight.

Thanks
    Barko
    Your Campways Pioneer is a Neoprene / Hypalon raft so you'll need to use the Type "A" Tear-Aid repair kit. The glue backing is formulated for everything but PVC based fabrics. It works great on clothing, Tents and tarps too!

The first time I tested Tear-aid was repairing a hole in the pocket of an old pair of blue jeans. And even after several washings the tear-aid fix out lasted the jeans.

For PVC based fabrics you use the Type "B" Tear-Aid the glue backing is formulated to work with the oils in PVC to cure with the glue. These oils are the reason most stick on patches don't work with PVC fabrics.

I've been selling and using Tear-aid repair kits for the past 7 years it's great stuff!

Another nice feature about the Tear-aid is that it's not considered HAZMAT so you can mail it Parcel post to any where and you can take it with you when you fly into remote areas.

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907) 248-2900

So I will bring a tube to pull behind to help take up some of the weight.
    That's a really bad and dangerous idea. I'd come up with another solution.

Default pulling a raft behind is a Bad Idea

So I will bring a tube to pull behind to help take up some of the weight.

Thanks
    Barko
    I agree with indyjones, a pull behind raft will get you into trouble on a river. You're better off either getting a big enough raft to do the whole job or setting up the second raft for rowing or paddle rafting.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907) 248-2900

Thumbs up My bad

I posted earlier that the type A was for PVC, and I was wrong.. Use Type B... OK...
    brain freeze of somekind,, I am sure..
    thanks Jim for pointing that out..
    anyway.. great post on a great product..
    As Jim ( alaska series ) Stated, and has been reported on by many here..
    Towing a raft along on a river is not only a bad idea it is dangerous.
    back in the early 70's or late 60's a half a dozen scouts and one of the scout masters was drown in the Green river of Utah by doing just this thing.. I have seen more than one group try this technique on Alaska rivers.. I had a guy tell me that he had a quick release knot on his tow behind meat raft so he was going to be ok..
    Things happen before you can even pull a knot loose, and Like Jim said..
    Please, Please don't put yourself in harms way by doing this..
    I wish Mike would write a nice article on this very subject and have it archived for easy reach when this question comes up.. as it has and will in the future..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Rafts are not tow trucks

Towing a tube with weight behind a raft is putting an uncontrolled rudder behind you. It is asking for trouble and is also a good way to lose whatever you load on the tube.

While I truly understand wanting to make do with the boat you have, with gear, two hunters and two moose, your 13' campways with 17" in diameter tubes will be quite a bit over its weight limit. You either need to take two boats or rent a large enough raft to carry both of you and your hoped for moose. For this kind of load you need a 16' boat.

Lori

Default Tear Aid, fine product and informative thread...

Good stuff and makes a durable repair apparently.
    I didn't know about Type A vs Type B Tear Aid as discussed in this thread.
    Good info.

TEAR-AIDŽ Roll Type A - For the repair of canvas, rubber & neoprene, most plastics, nylon, fiberglass, stainless steel, aluminum, polyethylene, polypropylene, polyurethane, non-oiled leather, and SunbrellaŽ.

TEAR-AIDŽ Roll Type B - For the repair of vinyl or vinyl coated items only.
    More at: http://www.tear-aid.com/htms/tear-aid%20roll.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Mike is right,, great stuff, and I would not leave home without it now on a float trip.
    there are two types of the tape, so make sure you know what your boat is made out of before you just grab a box. Type A is for most all Rubber thru PVC. The type B is for Vinyl materials, like most type Water toys, air mattresses etc. They have different glues to work on different surfaces.
    You know, I just love this site.
    Max

I use the tear aid type on my Cataraft. I had a nnice gash in a bladder last year. About 2" long. slapped some tape on it. Off I went. I put it on last June, it is still there, holding strong. I love the stuff. It also works very well on waders too. I just picked up a new roll at AK raft the other day for the season this year. Hell in a pinch you could patch just about anything with that stuff.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Tear Aid, the new duct tape...

for small jobs anyway.

Waders, boots, air mattresses, bug mesh...permanent and see through.
    After browsing their website, I think it looks worth having both types for certain repairs around camp. Cool product.