Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the most amazing shot you have seen?

Default whats the most amazing shot you have seen?

some of us have been hunting more than others and have seen and made shots we are proud of what shot was the best you have seen?

The one I made with open sites at over 400 yards, lol. ( It really took me two shots to bring him down, the first hit him in the leg, the secound was a lung shot.) (338 a-bolt)

Thats not bragging, it was stupid of me to even try it being as we were in a valley, but I was pretty sure of myself back then.

when I was a kid I shot a rattle snake with a CO2 powered bb gun and killed the snake. The BB proceeded to ricochet off a rock after killing the snake then striking my mom in the butt about 45 feet away.

Watching my hunting partner kill caribou with his 454 Ruger at 205 yards. No problems, just good shooting! Jim

I dumped a cackler at about 70 yards. There were 15 geese in a line, I lead the first one and the second to the back dropped. I was 13 shooting #4 out of my 20 gauge.

Was following a buddy on icy roads back in spring of 78 I believe hunting coyotes. He stopped and I could not and I tapped his back end. While I was checking for damage ( there was none as we had real bumpers back then ), my partner was siting up sandbags and a Rem700 40X in 7mm mag. I looked out across a field ( we were on a field road not a traveled roadway ) there was a small stream about 400 yards out - I said OK, what the heck are you going to shoot as I saw nothing??? He said coyote sitting there looking at us ?? HUH, there was about 4 in of snow and I saw NO coyote - I said OK where is he - he says other side of ditch - gulp - there was a spec of pepper out there that was a coyote sitting on its haunches feeling pretty safe. Crack - one, two, three, four - SMACK! I said how far, he says 600 plus! I said - OK, you shot YOU go get it!! It was 822 human paces!!! We figured 700 plus!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My hunting partner on Kodiak took a doe at 286 yards (range finder) I could not find a wound when we got to the deer. Then found he hit it in the eye.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I hit a flying chickadee at 89 yards with an open sighted 22 lr, I aimed about 5 inches over him, lead him about 2 1/2 feet, shot( I waited till he was in front of a long brush pile and in a very safe direction) and the feathers flew, then his buddy landed on a stump 140 yards out, and poped a round off and hit in too

Now, before you go wringing me out, the stupid bids were eating all our strawberries and we were loosing alot of money.

and one time, last summer with in a month of the bird shoot, with the same 22 lr, I hit 2, 6 inch baloons, I shot each, one at 210 yards, one 175 yards.

I saw a deer my old man shot when I was a kid a white tail doe she was broadside about 40 yards with her head behind a tree whe he released she whipped her head around and the arrrow went in her eye and down her neck.........she accually ran for about 30 yds and went down in a brush pile it wasnt what he meant to do but it was cool to see

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post

what shot was the best you have seen?
    I was hauling a load of gravel south out of Anchorage, maybe 9 or 10 years ago. It was graduation night for the seniors the night befor. As I went past Potters Marsh at about 5:AM at the very end of the boardwalk was 5 young ladies that were Mooning the traffic and giggling their butts off. That was the best shot I ever saw.

I was 11 years old. I had made a bow. (actually almost chopped off my finger cause I had a big kitchen carving knife and when I could'nt saw the end of the stick I gave it a swing and missed. )

Anyway, I got the bow made, cut down a branch and made an arrow. A couple days later I was "hunting" up came a Patridge, Just flung the arrow and down the bird came.I still have that scar on my finger.Patridge was the first mom ever cooked but I ate it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I was hauling a load of gravel south out of Anchorage, maybe 9 or 10 years ago. It was graduation night for the seniors the night befor. As I went past Potters Marsh at about 5:AM at the very end of the boardwalk was 5 young ladies that were Mooning the traffic and giggling their butts off. That was the best shot I ever saw.

Yah right.. Graduation night for the seniors.. oohh you mean those ladies who were 65+ in age... I feel sorry for ya, that image must be burned into your mind and soul now.

In 1969 I was hiking on Kodiak Island with 5 friends, I was carring an O3A3 30-06, two Ptarmigan flew up at about 40 yards across the hill side. I pulled the rifle to my sholder, fired once, then again, one of the guys went up and picked up the two headless birds, I had shot off the heads with the 220 grain Nosler partition bullets, I still have a picture of the birds hanging from the back of my daypack.

I was deer hunting in Idaho a few years ago... the deer weren't moving so i decided to move myself. I was driving up this trail and out in the sage brush i spot 2 fool hens about 15 yards from the "road" I pulled out the ruger .22 pistol I would "just try to scare them" I surprised myself when at the first shot the first bird floped down, then I took aim at the second one and shot... a clean miss I thought thats more like me, it just stood there so I shot again and got him too. Then a third bird flew up and landed about 75 yards out, I thought no way... I pulled up and shot that one as well. I impressed myself.

Back in 1984, my dad introduced my new stepmom to hunting. Being in Oregon and going after Blacktails, he got her a little Ruger M77 .243. Up in the woods at day break, we're out of the truck and walking down a road to an old logging landing to get a good look at the clearcut edges and reprod. We stop, she's says real quickly, "there's a buck". Dad and I are looking everywhere, like where is it? She raises her rifle, and off hands it with her barrel aiming straight across a deep brush choked canyon. We couldn't see the deer, but she saw it moving and just shot. She says, I got it!! Me being the young one of the bunch, dad tells me to head down the canyon and up the other side, getting direction by hand signals and yells. I eventually get over there and find the deer. I'm expecting a forked horn or a 3 point. Oooooooh Noooooo. This things was a PIG!!! A 6X7 with a 19" spread, green scoring around 142 points, and weighing in around 175#. For a southern Oregon Blacktail, that's a TOAD!!! At over 400yds, she offhands this thing as it's bounding over brush straight away from her with a 100gr pill in the base of the head, killing it instantly. 3rd biggest Blacktail shot in Oregon that year. It still kills me and I shake my head thinking about it cuz we all know that it was s***house luck, but hey, it was a helluva shot. I gotta give her that.

I don't have anything that spectacular but I did watch my cousin knock a clay out of the air at about 70yards with a singe shot from his iron sighted 10/22.

My dad tells a story of his childhood friend in Alabama shooting a circling crow out of the sky that was a barely visible spec. Challenging with any rifle, he did it with a 404 jeffry. They. Never found the bird, just a stream of feathers flowing away on the breeze.

Default 85 yo

The man that taught me more about hunting, game care, and game smoking than anyone.

Long time ago, he was 85 years old. We had two permits, my buddy's and the old man's. We decided the old man got first shot, but when the time came he didn't shoot, so a few of us (including 85 yo man's son) told my buddy to shoot, which he did and his game dropped on the spot.

85 yo man took a lot tougher shot 200 yds instead of 100 yards. No response. We're all dye'in, thinking he's lost it when he keeps aim and shoots again at 400 yards when no one else present knew which one of the group of animals he'd (possibly) put one bullet into.

Sure enough, we get up there and there's one down and dead with two holes in'm. He had visually tracked his animal among many and put two rounds out of two fired into the one and same animal, and a rather large one at that.

We shouldn't have doubted him. He was good. Decades long departed now, but he successfully hunted the majority of the previous century. As much as he taught me, I didn't always agree with him; like when he showed me a single box of 20 bullets (3/4 gone) that had lasted him more than 10 years, harvesting about one animal per year (he never practice shot.... ever). Makes ya think.

Up past Medicine Bow Wy in the Shirley Basin in 1994, bunch of us 15 from Camp Bullis Tx went Antelope Hunting. A few guys had drawn Buck tags but most of us just purchased Doe/Fawn tags. My buddy and I were heading back to camp when I spotted an Antelope way off with nothing around it and nothing to compare it to. We had no range finder back then so I decided to take a shot. After all it was just a bullet. My buddy laughed at me and said I was crazy for even trying. Took off my Jacket, balled it up, placed it on a rock for a rest, took aim inline with the shoulder and about 18 or so inches above the top of the back. Pulled the trigger and it dropped like a sack of taters. My buddy couldn't believe it, nor could I. We walked out and had trouble finding it with all the brush and tumble weeds. All of a sudden my buddy buddy yells and as I turn to look at him as he is picking it up by the back legs. It was a fawn. I felt like crap as the r***ing started. As we walked back and got to the truck, my buddy said he had paced it off and estimated 600 yards. When we got back to camp, I hung it on the meat pole descretely as everyone was focus on our visitor we had in camp, the local F&G guy. As he was getting ready to leave, he spotted the small antelope and asked who shot that one? I fessed up and he laughed. Again, the r***ing started. He pulled off the tag, handed it to me, told me to go shoot another one tomorrow and we cooked that one up that night for camp meat, him included. Sure was tender.

my dad, 300win mag/OLD redfield 3-9. 546yards. he put 3 shots into a moose that fit into a silver dollar, still has the piece of hide next to the rack.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast