Thread: Who's going clamming next week ?

Default Who's going clamming next week ?

Who's going clamming next week ? Some good low AM tides
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Who's going clamming next week ? Some good low AM tides
    Oh crap...really? I haven't even thought about it. Checking tides out now. Love razors!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...41910501.shtml
    Don't know if u heard of this happening this winter. Hope it doesn't have too much impact, but, regardless they need to change the limit to 10-15 per person. Too many folks taking and wasting clams. I am surprised the beach has sustained as much as it has.

Guess I'll post when we get back

My wife and I are going to try to make it. Our first time clamming up here. Any tips for a couple newbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    My wife and I are going to try to make it. Our first time clamming up here. Any tips for a couple newbs?
    Dress warm and watch this video on cleaning clams it's quick

Where is the beach access in Ninilchik? I have only been through on my way to Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Where is the beach access in Ninilchik? I have only been through on my way to Homer.
    turn at the bridge and follow the road to the left. it will go to the beach.

we went down to coho beach and the road is washed out, anybody know if Marathon or someone else is going to fix the access
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

We just got back,Sorry we missed you Hayduke. The wife and I got 230 razors That was 10 lbs of clam meat. Tues there was only a few folks Wed there was maybe 15 people. Got checked by F&G both days

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    We just got back,Sorry we missed you Hayduke. The wife and I got 230 razors That was 10 lbs of clam meat. Tues there was only a few folks Wed there was maybe 15 people. Got checked by F&G both days
    wow!!!! 1.5 ounces per clam???????? sure dont make em like they used to!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...41910501.shtml
    Don't know if u heard of this happening this winter. Hope it doesn't have too much impact, but, regardless they need to change the limit to 10-15 per person. Too many folks taking and wasting clams. I am surprised the beach has sustained as much as it has.
    Excuse me? Change the limit? Uh where pray tell do you come from? The limit is fine, the clams washed up as a gift from God. If you have been around here long, you would know the clamming pressure isn't any higher now than it was 30 years ago. Cordova was the clamming capital of the world in the 60's, now you're hard pressed to find a razor because of dorks that decided we needed to save the sea otter. I personally believe every sea otter in the north gulf coast needs to be annihilated.Don't you know the clams that expose themselves at low tide are a mere fraction of the clams available?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

With all due respect, FB.... I've been clamming for 30 yrs now come this summer. Lived in Ninny since 99 and can see the clammers on a daily basis yr in and yr out. The last ten yrs the clam crowds have been massive. Just like the fisherman at the bridge at the Kenai R. In 95 we were the only ones in our float tubes above the bridge and that could be on a wkend mid to late April. Now u see folks there in March on a wkday. No different with the clammers. If a guy doesn't think that 3,000 clammers, 3 days in a row, taking lets say...50 clams a piece; Thats 150,000 clams in just one outing. I count 60 'clamming tides' in the tide book between April and Sept. Do the math. Clams get pounded all summer. No doubt a million clams are taken a year. Can a limited resource like that take a million clams a yr, yr after yr? While I'm sure there are clams out beyond reach, that doesnt help out the beach clammer much. I'll let this yrs clammers chime in here. They are gonna tell u their results from this last tide. I bet they found the same as I... Very few large clams and not as many clams in general. (Man, I hope no-one starts a thread about the depletion of the once great halibut fishing we had right in front of Dp Crk. in the early 80's. Then I'd have the charter fishers on my arse!)

We got ours!

And BTW the limit in my neck of the woods is 15 per day per person.... more than enough to eat fresh for the next 4-5 days. Breaking news.... frozen clams suck! Been there, done that.... having grown up in AK digging 60 at a time. What a waste! Lots of clams went in the freezer, but only a fraction made it back to the table. Even when properly vacuum sealed, there is no comparison to eating them fresh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I went on the Sunday tide a -3.7. Took me a while to get into the swing of things as I have not gone clamming for a few years.
    All told we ended up with 103 clams mostly small to medium size ones. That was with three of us me,my fiance, and her 10 year old son.
    The 10 year old didn't do a lot of digging mainly helped the 2 of us with things.
    I don't eat clams but my fiance's mom does so after we cleaned them her mom got them all. She likes to make chowder out of them so should have enough for a couple of batches of it. I do understand that for some people it is nice to get what they need in 1 or 2 days clamming and then they are done for the year. Properly vaccum sealed/canned they should still be good for chowder throughout the winter I would think.
    I think the limits could be reduced. Maybe they should do something like they did the other year and lower it to the first 45 clams dug?
    Or maybe just a reduction for the non residents?
    As much as I hate people wasting I do know several people who eat a lot of clams and none goes to waste. There are also other I know like myself who like to harvest but not eat them and always have a few elders who really appreciate some fresh fish/seafood once in a while without the hassle of getting a proxy every time.
    We were about 5 miles North of Ninilchik and it wasn't crowded but there were a bunch of people there. We also got checked by the Troopers.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    We got ours!

And BTW the limit in my neck of the woods is 15 per day per person.... more than enough to eat fresh for the next 4-5 days. Breaking news.... frozen clams suck! Been there, done that.... having grown up in AK digging 60 at a time. What a waste! Lots of clams went in the freezer, but only a fraction made it back to the table. Even when properly vacuum sealed, there is no comparison to eating them fresh.
    Agreed. However, frozen do fine in clam chowder. I feel the same way about fish, don't care for it frozen much after 3 to 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Excuse me? Change the limit? Uh where pray tell do you come from? The limit is fine, the clams washed up as a gift from God. If you have been around here long, you would know the clamming pressure isn't any higher now than it was 30 years ago. Cordova was the clamming capital of the world in the 60's, now you're hard pressed to find a razor because of dorks that decided we needed to save the sea otter. I personally believe every sea otter in the north gulf coast needs to be annihilated.Don't you know the clams that expose themselves at low tide are a mere fraction of the clams available?
    Earthquake supposedly had a ton to do with it in PWS also, so say the elders?