Thread: gulp! pogy saltwater lures question

Default gulp! pogy saltwater lures question

For those of you who use Gulp! Pogys for mooching;

Do you necessarily need the 'herring' kind?

Seems like the names are for the color and not so much the sent/flavor.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I don't think it matters, I think I've mostly used the anchovy. I think it's mostly the scent as it's most effective right outta the bag, and after 3-4 silvers, put on a fresh one (if there is anything left)

Paul do you prefer them to real herring ? You 'mooch' with it whole I assume ? I don't think it would spin right if you cut plug it.

Last year I was chumming while playing with an underwater camera in about 50 ft of water. We were catching a variety of smallish fish on chunks of herring. I cut up one of the herring pogys and put that on, and bam ! There was just no comparison. With real herring it might sit there for 1-5 minutes with the gulp it was almost instantaneous. But they were just rockfish and Irish Lords. Not sure if it means anything about salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    Paul do you prefer them to real herring ? You 'mooch' with it whole I assume ? I don't think it would spin right if you cut plug it.

Last year I was chumming while playing with an underwater camera in about 50 ft of water. We were catching a variety of smallish fish on chunks of herring. I cut up one of the herring pogys and put that on, and bam ! There was just no comparison. With real herring it might sit there for 1-5 minutes with the gulp it was almost instantaneous. But they were just rockfish and Irish Lords. Not sure if it means anything about salmon.

Hey Warren,

This is the thread that made me want to try: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=gulp

There is some good info in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post

Yes, fish seem to hit it much harder and faster than herring, and that includes salmon. The thing with herring is the quality and freshness vary and sometimes you get a mushy batch that won't stay on the hook and is essentially useless. I find with gulp I can get 3 or 4 silver salmon before it's too chewed up and has lost it's scent. I rig it on a two hook mooching rig using a hoochie skirt. I've also caught rockfish on it.

I might try using some of the gulp strips this year to see how they compare to the pogies. It would be nice if you could get a few more applications out of a package.

Paul, also wanted to ask you if you've tried the new 'gulp! ALIVE'?
    They say its a different scent/flavor but wondering if its just as effective.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes, fish seem to hit it much harder and faster than herring, and that includes salmon. The thing with herring is the quality and freshness vary and sometimes you get a mushy batch that won't stay on the hook and is essentially useless. I find with gulp I can get 3 or 4 silver salmon before it's too chewed up and has lost it's scent. I rig it on a two hook mooching rig using a hoochie skirt. I've also caught rockfish on it.

I might try using some of the gulp strips this year to see how they compare to the pogies. It would be nice if you could get a few more applications out of a package.