Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What trip are you really looking forward to?

Default What trip are you really looking forward to?

Well its wont be too long and we will be back out in force. What trip are you looking forward to most? What new spots (general) or stratagies are you going to try this year?
    I cant wait to head out halibut fishing again out of Homer and i am going to fish salmon heads this year and try for a bigger fish. We are also going to try and chase Silvers out of Homer this year too as i will be up July 18-31st. I cant wait to hit the Kenai for reds either. I just cant wait to be up in AK fishing again!

Sitka!!!! My wife and I make an annual trip but we couldn't make it last year. Going to be there the last week of June. I'm hoping the feeder kings will still be around.

Hoping the July Homer weather is much better this year. Would like to chase some Lings before the charter boats pound it super hard.

Reds in June and July .
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

First trip to SE in July and first time I get to do multiple days in a row on a skiff/boat for hali's, Lings & rock fish.

also gonna try mooching for the first time. Should be awesome!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

My first trip up this year to PWS with 2 of my boys...whatever we catch we'll have a great time!

KGPCR: tip on fishing those salmon heads....pink heads are the best, and split them long ways (so leaving a cheek, eye, gill on each half), leaving all the brains etc in there, they hit them better that way and leave more of the circle hook exposed to hook up!

Cruising SE for the summer. Fishing crabbing shrimping too, of course, and Whales!
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Yakutat! Hali's and silvers in August. First time in Yakutat can't wait

Homer combo trip & Whittier shrimping this July. Have not fished for lings or went shrimping. Really looking forward to this years trip.

And who knows:
    THIS MAY BE THE YEAR THAT I CONVINCE THE SIGNIFICANT OTHER TO MOVE TO ALASKA (or atleast go up and work there in the summers)!!!!!!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Every Trip I Make

Every night when I know I'm going fishing in the morning,I start to get antsy.Not nervous,just anticipating so bad that I can hardly stand myself.Plus I know I turn into more of a pain in the butt for my wife.Kinda like a kid before the first day of school.I think if that feeling ever stops ,it might be time to hang up the poles.I doubt that that day will ever come as long as I still can breathe .
    Of course in the morning it gets worse.No time for breakfast,quick cup of coffee,hit the road and let's get on the water---now.......My attitude may make for a long day sometimes,but somewhere it is written----"God don't take away a day spent fishing".And I'm not sure how many I've got left.Do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post

And who knows:
    THIS MAY BE THE YEAR THAT I CONVINCE THE SIGNIFICANT OTHER TO MOVE TO ALASKA (or atleast go up and work there in the summers)!!!!!!
    If you can get one of those spectacular sunny weeks out on Prince William Sound, it just might work. When my wife (then my girlfriend) first visited Alaska, we had a week on the water out of Whittier with nary a cloud in the sky or a ripple on the water. One year later we were driving a U-Haul with all her stuff across the border. Good luck, sir!

Whittier in mid-May. Four days of shrimp'n, black bear and sea otter hunting. Really looking forward to Waterfall trip in late June, that is always good times.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Sitka!!!! My wife and I make an annual trip but we couldn't make it last year. Going to be there the last week of June. I'm hoping the feeder kings will still be around.
    Last week of June should be good king fishing. I spent a week in Salsbury sound in late June and we killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Really looking forward to Waterfall trip in late June, that is always good times.
    Should be some big fish around at that time, late June to late July at the cape or Pineapple, my favorite time of the season.

I spend many days out on PWS. Each trip truly is a trip of a life time. Spring is here and with it the cruising season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    Should be some big fish around at that time, late June to late July at the cape or Pineapple, my favorite time of the season.
    You know I can legally take care of that Sea lion at the pineapple. Love that place. Cape U is my all time favorite though, caught a 48lb there in 2008. Which boat do you run? I've probably been on it at one time over the years.

got a new boat for this year, much bigger than my previous one. Hope to spend a lot more time on the southern end of the peninsula, a few over night trips for sure. Lets hope for some good weather this year, got a bigger boat this year, but it is still miserable fishing in rough seas.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default What trip are you really looking forward to?

That's an easy one Kevin, my FIRST TRIP!!!!!!, coming right up (sorta) July 18.

We began planning this trip a mere 661 days ago - June 25, 2009. Only 92 days to go!

I can honestly say I think about it every day. Stepping off that airplane in Anchorage (see vid) kicks it all off!!!!!!

Thanks once again to all the folks that have contributed their knowledge, advise and experiences here. It's made the wait a lot easier and the occasional "just like being there" moments of reading and viewing have been great.

Here's a couple of good youtube vids that capture the anticipation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/harpin19...10/xmTx3DamfmE

http://www.youtube.com/user/harpin19...11/P8Pypo9fWR0

- Jay

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    You know I can legally take care of that Sea lion at the pineapple. Love that place. Cape U is my all time favorite though, caught a 48lb there in 2008. Which boat do you run? I've probably been on it at one time over the years.
    I've run WF 18 since 2002. The Cape is my favorite king spot as well, looking forward to getting back there in a few weeks.

As for the sealion, I wish you would;-) typically feed 5 to 10 kings a season to that *******.

First trip, last trip, and all trips in between!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you can get one of those spectacular sunny weeks out on Prince William Sound, it just might work. When my wife (then my girlfriend) first visited Alaska, we had a week on the water out of Whittier with nary a cloud in the sky or a ripple on the water. One year later we were driving a U-Haul with all her stuff across the border. Good luck, sir!
    Sounds a lot like my story...but be careful what you wish for! While certainly there is more to life than fishing and being on the water (someone help out here with some examples since I can't think of any) but when words like "significant other, girlfriend, wife" started entering my vocabulary my fishing went from everyday to virtually never. I even have it documented in my logs! BUYER BEWARE! LOL

While the story is true, I am kidding. Every situation is different I am sure!

So on topic....Crossed off catch shrimp from a ayak. Almost got goal number 2 taken care of battling an octopus from a yak, so the trip I am now looking forward to the most is a perfect flat yak day in mid May off Deep Creek for butts and kings from a yak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast