Thread: Homer...Bob's Trophy Charters

Default Homer...Bob's Trophy Charters

Anyone been out with Bob's trophy Charters out of Homer? Looking at going around the 10th of May in conjunction with a hunting trip. We will be doing the trip as a combination Halibut/Salmon. Wondering what we can expect the fishing to be like at that time and if this is a good charter. Any help would be appreciated! My brother is coming up for his first time and I would really like him to experience the best of this great state!

Default bobs

i went out with them one time,,
    good boat great folks.. a class act all the way..
    we had 6 foot seas so we didn't get to go out to his hot spots but we still all got a limit of chickens..

we have been going to seward the past few years, but if i ever make it back to homer bobs would be my first choice..

Get five $5 off if your name is BOB.. Does he still do that?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska Gray
    he did when i when i charterd with him.. about four years ago (i forgot about that)

but it seemed like there was talk that one of his deck hands was going to take over the boat, i don't know if he was going to retire or get another boat..

i was very impressed with his deck hands if he did take over his boat,,
    my bet would be that it is still a top of the line outfit...

I heard nothing about good things about him. I see advertisment at the Sportsman show. Get a kick out of it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska grey /Slimm,

I appreciate the feedback...sounds like they are a great outfit and we will be going out with them. Any thoughts on the fishing that time of year? Thanks!

John

june or july I would god. Aug is still good. But them darn dog fish move in and it becomes a pain.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default may fishing in homer

I've done several king/halibut combos out of Homer in May. I usually time it a little later than you are going, but May can have some great weather and the kings are moving as well as the halibut. Some charters fish shallow in May for bigger fish, can't say what Bob does. We have done well on the kings and got halibut to 50 pounds, and got to release 20-30 fish in culling our limits. I love May down there, not quite as crowded and a nice bag of fish.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Thumbs up May halibut fishing ....

I'll have to second what Nickster said.

There are fish to be caught that early in the season, but if I was you, I wouldn't be expecting anything too large. Realistically, you should each come back to port with 2 'chickens' in the 20-30 pound range.

Another word of advice, Early May, the weather (and seas) can be unpredictable. Prepare for the worst (warm clothes, rain gear) and if the wind is blowing pop a couple of dramine (or substitute) if you think you 'may' need it.

-- Gambler

Weekend before Memorial weekend I got sun burned. The seas were flat and the chicken bite was on.... Great day..... Not crowded at all.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The timing of our trip is more geared towards spring bear. I am just trying to get a fishing trip in for my brother before he fly's back. Sounds like we have a chance of catching a few...and that's good enough for me. I always would fish at the drop of a hat. Thanks again for all of the input and good fishing to you all!!