Thread: Broken Loomis rod...

Default Broken Loomis rod...

Ive broke my G Loomis Xperience rod and am in the process of figuring out how to ship it to their office in Washington. Ive read from a paper i got at Sportsmans Warehouse that there is a flat rate to get it fixed, or if i need it fixed fast i can expedite it. Ive heard their warranty has changed and according to their website i just send the rod in, then they estimate the cost if there is any. Im a bit confused by all this and was seeing if there was anyone out there that had any recent experience of sending their rod in and had any advice. Thanks for all the help guys.

It is my understanding that GLoomis has changed their warranty to cost $120/rod to fix or replace. The old cost was $60/rod. They make a nice rod but ever since they sold off, it has really gone downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Ive broke my G Loomis Xperience rod and am in the process of figuring out how to ship it to their office in Washington. Ive read from a paper i got at Sportsmans Warehouse that there is a flat rate to get it fixed, or if i need it fixed fast i can expedite it. Ive heard their warranty has changed and according to their website i just send the rod in, then they estimate the cost if there is any. Im a bit confused by all this and was seeing if there was anyone out there that had any recent experience of sending their rod in and had any advice. Thanks for all the help guys.

120? Wow, steep.

look up on the web , call, they will tell you all you want to know, water pipe with caps works great to ship it

Yeah, they increased the no fault warranty $$$ from $60 to either $100 or $120 not sure how much.
    If the rod is under a year old there should be no charge for a warranty claim unless they determine the issue was neglect.

Personally, because of the way the company has gone since being purchased by Shimano I will never purchase one of their products.

I own a bunch of Sage fly rods and the flat rate fee is $50. I had two rods go in for repair or replacement last year and they built me brand new replacement rods.
    One of the rods was an older RPL 4wt which is my favorite rod. I thought when I sent it in that it would be replaced with a newer model due to it's age, but when I got my rods back I found a brand new RPL which is awesome!!!

Thanks for all the info guys! And that sage warranty sounds like the way to go... How is St. Croix's warranty these days?

I have two stories to relate:

1. I sent in my 18 year old rod paid my fee (I think it was $30?) and they mailed me a brand new rod. Pretty amazing. This was a $200 rod when I bought it 18 years ago.
    2. I stepped on my favorite rod 12 years ago and they replaced it no questions for whatever the fee was back then. And then my buddy snapped it again last year and I sent it in, basically for the fee + postage I got a brand new $650 rod. I think they are awesome.

Thats Awesome. I have a 8 wt glx that I purchased 3 years ago. Since that time 3 were questionable quality. 2 of them breaking unexpectedly (on no more than 15 lb)..... 1 on a upper river bow. They wrote me a letter saying they were damaged due to exposure to high heat which i don't understand, living in alaska. The other one i sent back, was sent to me defective without a properly glued seat and butt section. I don't know whats going on over there, but their quality control has definitely been lacking. However they have yet to charge me a fee to fix a a rod which is nice but I have paid shipping costs to Gloomis. hopefully the 4th ones a charm. I usually send them in through my local fly shop and let them deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    It is my understanding that GLoomis has changed their warranty to cost $120/rod to fix or replace. The old cost was $60/rod. They make a nice rod but ever since they sold off, it has really gone downhill.
    The warranty used to allow for a rod to be sent in for evaluation and returned to you at no cost if they found that it was defective. The old Xpedite $50 fee was a no questions asked replacement warranty that included FedEx shipment of a rod to you. Upon receipt of the new rod you put the old rod in the shipping container and return it.

Today the warranty hasn't changed too much from what I have seen except all those rods you bought say more than 5 yrs ago pretty much no longer have a warranty. That said the old Xpedite service was unlimited and is now a "ONE TIME" per rod service. I still like my GLoomis rods but the reason I bought them was because of an outstanding warranty that is no more.........

St Croix warrenty has gone hill too!! I have been fishing TFO they still have a half way decent salmon rod with a good warrenty

I've had to send back several GLoomis rods in the past with the process AKBighorn mentioned. Call, they send a new rod in shipping tube, put old rod in tube the new one just came in and send it back. No muss, no fuss. Sounds like everything changed when they sold. That's too bad as I have seen the tip 18" or so of several GLoomis rods break off for no apparent reason. (These were 9'6" 5wt. rods)
    Never had a problem with any of my Sage rod warranties.

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully my results will turn out like "willowone"'s did.

Some anglers like to treat warranty work as a free new rod every year or two program.

Companies take a beating by these few jerks.

Most companies have their standard practices listed but often go out of their way to help a sincere angler that doesn't return his rod every year or every other month for a "defect". The companies will often bend over backward to fix a rod well out of production or replace the rod, they know how much brand loyalty this creates and how many future rods efforts like this help sell.

I broke a buddy's GL last year in Alaska, it was a $500 fly rod. I sent it in with a short note about what happened and where, the life the rod had led prior to its demise, and for $50 they replaced the rod for my friend with the newer version. In the same accident I broke a 10 yr old Scott I owned, it cost me $50 also.

Many Shimano Rods like the $200 Cumara have a store replacement warranty. Walk in with a broken rod, walk out with a new one.

has any one had to send a TFO rod back? I have a 6 wt I busted on a red a year or so ago and it is sitting in the case, I haven't done any thing because I have other rods but I kinda want to get it fixed.

seems like you are judging the situation without knowing much about it. Every time a rod would break i would take it to the shop i bought it from and they were puzzled. the graphite seemed brittle and gloomis said it was due to high heat exposure which is bs. breaking an 8 wt on upper river kenai rainbows is a joke. I have 2 rods that are more than 3 yrs old and i use a lamson reel with a lifetime warranty that is 4 yrs old. yet to be sent in. I have yet to have a tfo break or a beulah. just the loomis's. and i when i get sent a rod back from the company that wont even hold my reel straight and the cork moves straight from the factory. its disheartening. especially with a 700 dollar rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_NE View Post
    Some anglers like to treat warranty work as a free new rod every year or two program.

Companies take a beating by these few jerks.

Most companies have their standard practices listed but often go out of their way to help a sincere angler that doesn't return his rod every year or every other month for a "defect". The companies will often bend over backward to fix a rod well out of production or replace the rod, they know how much brand loyalty this creates and how many future rods efforts like this help sell.

I broke a buddy's GL last year in Alaska, it was a $500 fly rod. I sent it in with a short note about what happened and where, the life the rod had led prior to its demise, and for $50 they replaced the rod for my friend with the newer version. In the same accident I broke a 10 yr old Scott I owned, it cost me $50 also.

Many Shimano Rods like the $200 Cumara have a store replacement warranty. Walk in with a broken rod, walk out with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    has any one had to send a TFO rod back? I have a 6 wt I busted on a red a year or so ago and it is sitting in the case, I haven't done any thing because I have other rods but I kinda want to get it fixed.
    Send it to them and they send you a new one! No fixing, just replacing! $25 dollar check included with the package and Wabamba, new rod!

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/sup...istration.html

Default G.Loomis speaks...here are the terms of their warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    From this link: http://www.gloomis.com/publish/conte...y/support.html

WARRANTY
    G.Loomis Limited Lifetime Warranty
    G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels, Premier Rods (PMR) and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

• PLEASE NOTE: THIS WARRANTY PAGE ONLY APPLIES TO CUSTOMERS RESIDING IN NORTH AMERICA.

Web Warranty Form U.S.
    For U.S. Customers Send Directly to:

GLoomis, Inc.
    Warranty Service
    1359 Down River Drive
    Woodland, WA 98674

Good luck.

Warranties are important and I gladly pay more for a new rod to get that lifetime unconditional warranty. Only ones i have experience with is Orvis and Sage. Sage took my money and the rod and got me a replacement back in a couple weeks. Orvis tried hard to push a upgrade but then took my money and sent me a new tip.

Figured it might be helpful to put all the rod warranty information in one place sorted by manufacturer. Up here in Alaska broken rods happen because we have fish that can break them and we cross rough terrain to get to our favorite spots which sometimes result in accidents.

Cabelas : 25 year Limited Warranty. No specific information on their website only this:

If you have a warranty question, you are welcome to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-237-8888 (Monday - Friday 6am - 11pm CST and Saturday 8am - 5pm CST) or via email at customer.service@cabelas.com for additional information.

Echo: Lifetime Warranty. Specific information http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_warranty.php:
    ECHO Lifetime Warranty and Service Policy
    Rajeff Sports will repair or replace damaged rods for the lifetime of the original owner. To make a warranty claim, return the rod with $35.00 (US Funds) and a note indicating where to ship the replacement. For more information contact Rajeff Sports at 360-694-2900. Rods should be sent to:
    Rajeff Sports
    7500 NE 16th Ave, Suite 1C
    Vancouver, WA 98665
    G.Loomis: Limited Lifetime warranty. Specific information: http://www.gloomis.com/publish/conte...y/support.html
    G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels, Premier Rods (PMR) and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

• PLEASE NOTE: THIS WARRANTY PAGE ONLY APPLIES TO CUSTOMERS RESIDING IN NORTH AMERICA.
    • G.Loomis Rods: covered by a limited lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials
      The GLoomis factory will inspect the rod to determine cause of breakage
    • For Damage determined to have occurred due to defect, GLoomis will, at the company's discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge
    • Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company's discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee.
    • A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any fees are levied.
    Orvis: 25 year warranty. Specific Information at: http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=446
    The Orvis 25-Year Fly Fishing Rod guarantee means we fix your broken fly rod. If we can't fix it, we replace it, no questions asked. We were the first fly rod company in the world to offer a guarantee, and it is still the best. Purchase an Orvis graphite fly rod and, for a quarter of a century, we'll repair your fly fishing rod no questions asked. If we can't repair it, we'll choose a current fly fishing rod of at least equal value to replace it. Either way, your investment is assured. For fly rods manufactured after January 2003, there will be a nominal handling charge of $30. By purchasing an Orvis rod, you have placed your trust in our commitment to quality. The 25-year Fly Rod Guarantee is our thank you.
    Reddington: Lifetime, original owner warranty (Limited) Specifics at: http://www.redington.com/warranty.html
    Every new Redington rod purchased through an authorized retailer, with the exception of the Crosswater Series and Minnow Outfit, is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty. The Crosswater and Minnow are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship and must include a dated proof of purchase. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the rod only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, neglect, normal wear, fire, theft, loss, or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. Redington reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Redington Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with the newer models when necessary. Colors may vary between original and replacement parts. In order to invoke this warranty, the original owner must send the entire Redington product, including broken parts or pieces, freight paid and insured to the Bainbridge Island address listed below. To service your Redington product, you must fill out the Warranty Service Form. Please follow the instructions stated below and be sure to include this form in the package. Thank you!
    Ross: Lifetime Warranty (Limited). Specifics at: http://www.rossreels.com/warranty/
    Ross products purchased through an authorized dealer are covered by a lifetime warranty. This warranty only applies to the original owner and is not transferable. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the product only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, negligence, normal wear, fire, theft, loss or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. To qualify for warranty service, the original owner must return the product to Ross with a Product Service Form, or the warranty return will be refused and sent back to the customer. All shipments to Ross must be freight paid. Ross reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty. Discontinued products may be replaced with newer models when necessary.

Sage: Lifetime Warranty. Specifics at: http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/
    This warranty is limited to repair and replacement of the rod, blank or reel and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover fire, theft, loss, intentional breakage, modification or customization of the finished rod, or damage during the assembly of a blank into a finished rod. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Sage reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Sage Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with comparable models when necessary. Colors and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

The lifetime, original owner warranty applies to rods with a serial # beginning with the letter "M" and higher, including all double letters (i.e. AA, AB, AC). Rods with serial #'s beginning with the single letters "A - L" (generally manufactured prior to 1995); have an original owner lifetime guarantee against any defect in materials or workmanship. Any of these series of rods that fail due to misuse, negligence or normal wear-and-tear will be repaired or replaced at a reasonable cost. The serial # may be found on the rod directly opposite the Sage logo.

For all return shipments within the U.S., the original owner will be responsible for a $50 fee for each repaired item to cover return shipping, insurance and processing. International customers will be charged actual shipping and insurance costs, and will be responsible for all related customs and duty charges.

St Croix: Lifetime Warranty. Specific at: http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/...e_and_warranty

The have three different methods with increasing costs 30 dollars if you think its their fault, 50 for unconditional and then an upgrade plan. I put the Gold star one below
    Gold Star: Ahh..but what if you’re not registered as the original owner of the rod. Or your buddy stepped on your rod, or slammed it in a car door, or worse yet, used it to free a snag. No worries. St. Croix’s Gold Star Plan eliminates the uncertainty of a dubious warranty claim. Here’s what to do.
    1. Return your damaged rod to St. Croix. Use our Discount Shipping Program to save money.
    2. Include a note requesting our Gold Star Service, along with a check for $50 to cover the repair or replacement of your rod. Our Technician will determine whether to repair or replace your rod keeping in mind we’ll only repair it if we can make it perform like new.
    3. That’s all there is to it. And there’s no additional s&h charge for customers in the USA. Canadian customers must pay an additional $20 for s&h, and all other International customers must pay an additional $30 for s&h.

TFO: Lifetime No-Fault warranty Specific at: http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/sup...ty-repair.html
    To use your No-fault Warranty, simply send the entire rod to our address in Dallas listed below. We recommend using a carrier that provides tracking information in case of a problem. Include your return shipping / contact information and a check for $25 per broken rod. Your repaired rod will be shipped back to you within a few days of receipt. Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections. This warranty is limited to the blank, on custom TFO rods.
    R.L. Winston: Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee. Specifics at: http://web.winstonrods.com/warranty
    Every new Winston boron/graphite and/or graphite fly rod or blank is covered by our original owner Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee against breakage or manufacturer's defects. This warranty is available only to the original owner of boron/graphite and/or graphite fly rods or blanks purchased from an authorized Winston Dealer. This warranty covers, at Winston's option, the repair of the original rod or the replacement of the rod with an equivalent rod only. The warranty is subject to the original owner filling in either the ONLINE WARRANTY REGISTRATION FORM, or completing and returning the warranty card within 10 days of purchase.
    The warranty does not cover lost rods, lost rod sections, intentional breakage, or cosmetic wear or scratches.
    For any warranty work, the entire rod must be returned to Winston. It should be sent in its rod tube and properly packaged. Repair materials and color may vary from those used on the original rod. The rod owner is responsible for the cost of sending in the rod to be repaired or replaced (you should insure the rod), and a return packaging, shipping, handling, and insurance charge of $50 will be applied to all warranty claims. The rod owner agrees that Winston assumes no associated or ancillary liability due to use of the rod, including consequential or incidental damages. This guarantee gives you specific, limited legal rights. You may have additional rights under applicable state law.

This is helpful, halibutk. Thanks for compiling and posting this.