Thread: Where can I target shoot @ 50-70 yds in Palmer area? My Yard is too small.

Default Where can I target shoot @ 50-70 yds in Palmer area? My Yard is too small.

Anyone know the laws about Archery practice in city limits, (where it's OK to shoot, where it is not ok.)? I live in Palmer. I called the local PD and spoke with an officer, He was saying it's perfectly legal to shoot your bow in city limits but not at any city park location, for liabilty reasons... What's considered a city park? Does that mean all baseball, soccer, football fields, etc.? My yard is small, I live on a 1/4 acre in town Palmer. The indoor range I go to is a 30 yd range and I want to get the fourth, fifth, and sixth pins on my sight "dialed in". Any information is much appreciated, Thanks.

If you have a portable target and a range finder, just go find a place down on the Mat river by the bridge or something. Maybe the end of Maud rd. The cop is right, since it's NOT a firearm, you can discharge a bow within city limits. But some folks get a little butthurt to see somebody "shooting" in a city park. I'd personally stay away from one. A few yrs ago, I wasn't in a park, but a big open gravel lot with a huge hillside for a backdrop. Some lady down the road peering out her window called the cops on me for shooting a crossbow and endangering kids. I'm like what *** ****? I don't even own a crossbow and the area was void of kids or anything for that matter. The cop who finally showed up was cool about it all. So I finished my shooting and finally left. There's plenty of places I'm sure that could accomodate you within a short drive of Palmer. I live in Wasilla and shoot out to 90yds at my house. PM me if ya wanna come by.

Swampdonkey, I appreciate the info. And thanks for the invite.

you can come shoot with me at my house too i think i can get passed 70 with a little adjusting the target and putting a back stop up. I just got a new string on yesterday and shot a few dozen about an hour ago.

Sounds great. Let me know if you need help finding materials for a back stop, I heard bungy cords and a big piece of carpet works well...
    I shot a few today at 20 and 30 in my yard but I'd really like to "reach out" and get those bottom pins sighted in. I noticed today that I'm shooting low and to the left with some very obvious fletching contact on my fall-away rest, (black streaks on the fletching where it's rubbing the rest). I don't know what's going on with this **** thing, taking into the shop tomorrow...
    How long do you shoot before getting a new string?

this is my 3rd on my 2007 bow I use them till they wear out and start to fray. Mostly from brush I think. I have a frame in my yard that I could hang some carpet on but I dont have any right now.

This might work for your frame http://anchorage.craigslist.org/hsh/2330974693.html. I'm taking my bow into wasilla tomorrow to have it worked on, I'll try to get ahold of this guy and pick up this piece of carpet while I'm there.

How long do you shoot before getting a new string?
    I have had as many as 20,000 shots on one string. It was pretty ragged then, but they last a long time.

For that fletching contact. Watch the arrow as you draw the bow. The rest should come to the full up position in the last 2" or so of draw. If it comes up too early you can have contact and a host of other problems. What type of drop away is it?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

That would work perfect

It's a Quality Archery Designs Ultra Rest the Hunter model. The rest starts pulling up vertical about the last 5 inches of draw.

Cook inlet archers in eagle river has a static range your bow can't reach if your creative. Two years is time to change your string for the average shooter, sooner if you enjoy your bow. Long distance is gonna be a problem if your rest isn't tuned. The setup means far more than the name brand.

It's a Quality Archery Designs Ultra Rest the Hunter model. The rest starts pulling up vertical about the last 5 inches of draw.
    QAD's can be a pain to set up. However, there is a good video on You-Tube that should take care of you. Learn to do it yourself. It's rewarding and your shop can be a long way away from you if you have a problem in the field.

I had the same issue with a QAD Hunter rest, always had fletching contact. Try setting the timing cord down lower, should make it drop faster. I just tossed mine and got a Limbdriver. Fletching contact with QAD hunter is a known issue, the LD and HD model seem to be trouble free though. I myself change strings at least once a year, just a cheap insurance, especially when you can get custom strings/cables for $50-60.

What strings do you guys use I've been shooting winners choice and haven't had any complaints. Also do you guys shoot nock vain up or down I had fletching contact shooting down and just flipped my arrow

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    What strings do you guys use I've been shooting winners choice and haven't had any complaints. Also do you guys shoot nock vain up or down I had fletching contact shooting down and just flipped my arrow
    On archerytalk.com there are a lot of good stringmakers there, and they go for about $50-60 for a whole set or cheaper if they're having a sale. Such as Proline, 60X, Extreme bowstrings, etc. all make nice strings using the best material like 452x and Astroflite. Vaportrail makes good strings as well and you can get them in about 3 days from ordering. I shoot cock vane up.

I bought some extra timing cord today. I plan on carefully following the installation instructions from the DVD that came with the rest and redoing this deal...

When I purchased the rest six months ago and had the shop installed it I assumed they would have done it right. After watching the instructional DVD and gathering some input from ArcheryTalks Forum I think I have a good idea of how this thing is supposed to be put on here. From the looks of it, (position of and length of timing cord, the travel distance of the draw when the rest starts to rise, etc.) this rest was not installed correctly at the Shop.

fishingyoda, I sent you a PM about the Carpet backdrop. It's a nice big piece of carpet, should be able to cut it to fit your frame.

There is a silhouette target range at Mat-Su College off Trunk Road. Its a great place to get some "real life" practice in.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    There is a silhouette target range at Mat-Su College off Trunk Road. Its a great place to get some "real life" practice in.
    I asked about ranges on here A few weeks ago and someone said it's gone due to the detoured road

It sounds like that access was suspended (and still is since the Spring Bear shoot is at the sports complex this year) to the range. Maybe it won't be gone permanently. Lets hope so, the terrain there is 10 times better than the flatland out at the sports complex.