Thread: Scoping a Kimber 325WSM or 338WM Montana

Default Scoping a Kimber 325WSM or 338WM Montana

Quick Question.

What scopes/rings/bases are you men running on your Kimber 8400 WSM's & 8400 long actions?

Will the Vx11 2-7x33 gel without using extension rings.I want to use Talley U/lights if I go with this rig.
    I've used this scope on my 340 without running out of scope tube(Also Vx11 2-7x33 has great eye relief),works a-treat .
    I have noticed a few pic's of Kimbers I've come across with Leupold extension rings on the front.Makes me wonder .

Luv to see your setup's .

Cheers men,

PS-Worse case senario I will get a Vx11 3-9x40,slightly bigger tube space.

I initially had Leupold extended rings on the Kimber bases on my Montana, VXIII 2.5-8x36 scope. I have sinced switched to the onepiece Talley Lightweights. Much better setup imo. Front ring/base is reversable. Essentially making it an extened ring. Works perfect with my VXIII 2.5-8x36.

Kimber bases Leupold extended rings- mediums.

Talley Lightweights- lows

Thats magic Snyd .

They sure do look allot better,many thanks for taking your time & posting buddy.

I do believe I will be ordering a Montana 325WSM very soon.Combined with Talley U/L & most likely my Vx11 2-7x33 just sitting in it's box awaiting some action.

Cheers mate,
    340 .

Kimber safety concern .

Quote from another forum.

" Took my new Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 wsm out to my range yesterday for the first time. Wanted to get the shots on paper and at the same time put some rounds through it. I have a shooting bench on some of my land so I was alone. I loaded a round into the magazine and was preparing to fire I chambered the round and then decided that I needed to adjust the spotting scope. I was sitting at the bench behind the rifle but for safety I pulled the wing safety back from fire to the first click which is the middle position. I adjusted the scope and prepared to send the first round down range. Pulled the trigger, nothing, still had the safety on, Ok push the safety forward to fire and it did, the gun discharged. Now I was all safe and the round went into the backstop but I thought I must of had my finger on the trigger when I flipped the safety. I fired some 10-12 rounds with no further problems. Went home and cleaned the barrel well and was playing with the saftey so more ( unloaded gun of course) What I discovered is when the safety is pulled from the forward fire position back there is a noticable click at the middle position but this is not the same positon that the safety rest on when the safety is moved forward from safe to the middle position. Any way with the safety is moved from fire to this middle first click position I pulled the trigger and the safety worked BUT, 9 out of 10 times when I moved the safety forward back to fire the gun discharge WITHOUT a finger on the trigger.I will call Kimber this am about this but suggest fellow owners of Kimber 8400 try the same. The positon the safety would click into when moved from fire to the mid position turns out not to be the true middle click position for unlocking the bolt. I would think that others could make the same mistake as me because when sitting behind the rifle and pulling the safety back from fire I was doing it by feel and sound not by looking from the rifle from above and making sure it was in the true middle position.Hope this is understandable to you all. I also hope that I don't get the line from Kimber " that is within design specs" Please try your Kimbers and let me know if this is true with all new 8400's. Thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Kimber safety concern .

Quote from another forum.

" Took my new Kimber 8400 Montana in 300 wsm out to my range yesterday for the first time. Wanted to get the shots on paper and at the same time put some rounds through it. I have a shooting bench on some of my land so I was alone. I loaded a round into the magazine and was preparing to fire I chambered the round and then decided that I needed to adjust the spotting scope. I was sitting at the bench behind the rifle but for safety I pulled the wing safety back from fire to the first click which is the middle position. I adjusted the scope and prepared to send the first round down range. Pulled the trigger, nothing, still had the safety on, Ok push the safety forward to fire and it did, the gun discharged. Now I was all safe and the round went into the backstop but I thought I must of had my finger on the trigger when I flipped the safety. I fired some 10-12 rounds with no further problems. Went home and cleaned the barrel well and was playing with the saftey so more ( unloaded gun of course) What I discovered is when the safety is pulled from the forward fire position back there is a noticable click at the middle position but this is not the same positon that the safety rest on when the safety is moved forward from safe to the middle position. Any way with the safety is moved from fire to this middle first click position I pulled the trigger and the safety worked BUT, 9 out of 10 times when I moved the safety forward back to fire the gun discharge WITHOUT a finger on the trigger.I will call Kimber this am about this but suggest fellow owners of Kimber 8400 try the same. The positon the safety would click into when moved from fire to the mid position turns out not to be the true middle click position for unlocking the bolt. I would think that others could make the same mistake as me because when sitting behind the rifle and pulling the safety back from fire I was doing it by feel and sound not by looking from the rifle from above and making sure it was in the true middle position.Hope this is understandable to you all. I also hope that I don't get the line from Kimber " that is within design specs" Please try your Kimbers and let me know if this is true with all new 8400's. Thanks"
    This is exactly what the trigger/safety post was about the other day from Jon R Sundra. I 've seen this on a new Kimber montana also, just one of them and I fixed it myself (yeah, I can do that.) The rifle belonged to another but he was glad to see it fixed. This is a test I perform with all new rifles and the only brands of rifle that haven't ever done it is Winchester (pre-64's and Sako. With the rifles that have only a two position safety I put to safe then pull the trigger then take it off. I don't meant to say every rifle will do it just a sample of them will.

The post about what Sundra said was that it applied to the Winchester trigger, I've never found that to be true, and of course this applies to the Dakota trigger, they've never done it either. But the Kimber has a box trigger (similar to a Timney) and they will do it if there is an adjustment wrong or if debris is in the mechanism. The Kimber I had a problem with was in the trigger, it could be the safety engagement on the striker or the trigger/sear fit up.

It's good you found it out now before getting into the fields with it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default kimber

I just went down to Sportsman's WH and bought me a new Kimber montana in 325 wsm. Took it out and broke in the bbl with the 220 gr power points yesterday and was pleased with the recoil (pretty stout but controlable IMO). Worked up some 200 gr accubonds and some 200 gr TSX's at the loading bench last night also, and hoping to get out soon to see how she groups.

Quote Originally Posted by turner1978 View Post
    I just went down to Sportsman's WH and bought me a new Kimber montana in 325 wsm. Took it out and broke in the bbl with the 220 gr power points yesterday and was pleased with the recoil (pretty stout but controlable IMO). Worked up some 200 gr accubonds and some 200 gr TSX's at the loading bench last night also, and hoping to get out soon to see how she groups.
    Sweet stuff buddy.

Just CHECK(Scroll-up) to see whether it has this safety-wing flaw for me.Chances are it will be 100% true,just check anyway.

My 338WM Montana still hasn't arrived,next 2 weeks I hope .

Default safety

After reading the post on flawed safeties I played with mine for quite a bit last night and at the range today and it worked 100%. No flaws in the rifle so far. I sighted it in today with the 220 gr factory bullets and got a 1.5 inch 4 shot group at 100 yrds. Not bad for factory ammo and only one sample so far. Still haven't tried reloads yet but will post as soon as I do. Some people say that the WSM's have a hard time feeding in the kimbers but this one feeds just fine. No problems there. Recoil is stout but less than my 9-10 lb ruger 338 win mag shooting 210 gr TSX's, and that is in a 7 lb scoped rifle shooting heavy for cal bullets. I think I am in love!

Sweet deal on the 325,looking forward to getting my 338WM Montana.It'll be a ball-breaker .

Quote Originally Posted by turner1978 View Post
    ....Recoil is stout but less than my 9-10 lb ruger 338 win mag shooting 210 gr TSX's, and that is in a 7 lb scoped rifle shooting heavy for cal bullets. I think I am in love! ...
    yup... some call this the "WSM Hype". I know it's got me all hyped up!

She arrived.

225gn Fusion are the first factories I will try.Barnes TSX 225gner's when I can get my mitts on some.

Range day soooooooon .

Another snap .

Default Nice!

Heay that's awesome! I looked for a 338 win mag for quite a while before settling for my 325 WSM. Here in idaho most gun dealers shy away from 338's and bigger. They say they are too hard to sell down here. 325's on the other hand are common. Nice set up.

I fondled one those Kimber 338's the other day at Frontier Outfitters here in Fairbanks. Had a nice feel to it I thought. If they would have been out when I bought my Kimber 325 last June I may have bought one. Let us know how she shoots. I bet that stock and pad will suck up the recoil pretty good. It does on my 325.

Default VXIII 4.5-14x40LR B&C Reticle

Here is my 325wsm. Sweet shooter. I love the scope on it, this was my first Leupold with a 30mm tube, unbeleivable light transmission. The side focus is nice for long range also. I shot a monster whitetail 2 yrs ago in N. Idaho at 351 yds. The b&c worked awesome, just hold dead on with the appropriate crosshair. I used the Kimber bases and Leupold medium 30mm rings. [ATTACH]049.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!