Thread: X-Bolt .325 clip restricts OAL so If I feed I can't get close to lands

Default X-Bolt .325 clip restricts OAL so If I feed I can't get close to lands

I'm building Woodleigh W64G in .325 WSM. To get close to the lands with the bullet I do the following :

1) Hold the rifle muzzle down and drop in a bullet, then tap it lightly.
    2) put a 1/4 dowel in the muzzle and measure to the tip of the bullet.

I know the depth of a standard 2.860" cartridge in my barrel - so by simple math (depth of land seated bullet + .050 for example - gives me a seat depth and new OAL for my .050" off lands cartridge.

I do all this with care - and the cartridge will not fit in the clip of my X-Bolt! The max O.A.L. I can get in the clip is 2.900"

Am I missing something fundamental? At 2.900" I am approximately .125" off the lands.
    In anyones' opinion - should I forgo the clip and make my rifle a single shot - always loading into the breech? Is the land proximity critical enough for that hassle - and danger if I am charged? I guess I could breech-load a long one and have regular 2.86"s as backup.

I don't think I can modify the clip - and I don't know if *****ing at Browning is productive. I really love this rifle - but this seems a shortcoming. Is my land measuring technique flawed? Any Ideas?

I may be missing something here, but at 2.90" I think you are .0125 off, but I don't know what the ojive on that bullet looks like. Shooting a Barnes TSX I am 2.85 OAL, .050" off the lands.

I assume you are loading these for dangerous game. IMHO bears are best shot at 200 yards or less, load them to as long as your magazine will allow and go kill stuff. For bear hunting I would choose ammo that feeds and shoots "minute of bear" over hand fed sub MOA ammo.

Be Safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Magshooter, My method for determining bullet seating depth is pretty simple. I just seat a bullet in an empty unprimed case and leave it a little long on purpose. I color the bullet with a permanent market, brass black.....anything really. Then chamber in the gun. The rifling marks will be real evident on the bullet. I then reseat the bullet in 1 quarter turn increments on my seating die ( recoloring the bullet each time) until no rifling marks appear on the bullet.

In the case of your magazine restricting your OAL length....well it's nothing new. In this case I would seat the bullet as long as possible as far as functioning in the magazine goes and then shoot some groups with it. I'm betting that as a hunting rifle you'll never know the difference in the field. If your using it for bench rest then I would load to fit the chamber and shoot it single shot!

My old Ruger 243 had enough free bore that you could not seat a 70 grain bullet far enough out to get anywhere near the rifling and still have enough bullet in the case neck to hold it securely. I just seated the bullet so it was in as deep as the length of the neck and shot it.....500 or more coyotes never knew the difference! My new Winchester is the same way to a lesser extent.

good advice guys - thanks.

Similar to what EK said, I think you really need to find out how it shoots loaded with cartridges at the max length that functions out of the mag. You might just be surprised that it shoots well.

I'm not familar with the bullet you are picking, but I know that for shooting TTSX's out of two of my rifles, I found the sweet spot at 115 off. So, another other possibility for you the Woodleigh doesn't shoot well enough would be to experiment with another bullet that would give you a shorter jump, or you could try a monolithic like Barnes TTSX or TSX, Hornady GMX, or Nosler E-tip that may prefer a long jump.

Good luck!

Ya some guns are that way. My buddies 338 RUM has a "short" magazine. My 325 Kimber has a long magazine.

I took a case and reamed out the neck just enough so a bullet will fit in snugly and drilled out the primer pocket some so I can push the bullet out. Stick a bullet in the case, chamber it and then measure the OAL, push the bullet out a little and do it again a few times to determine the jam length.

This 220 GR Woodleigh bullet is very slim with the ogive way back - it has a .448 BC. http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/

The only guidance they give on loading is 'Ensure that the case neck has a good grip on the bullet.' I'm not sure how to achive or measure this. I size the neck with my RCBS sizer die, but don't put any crimp on. Should I put just a tiny crimp? There is no cannelure.