Thread: Two tools you can't be without...

Default Two tools you can't be without...

That'd be the Wheeler Level, Level, Level! & the Leupold Zero Point magnetic boresiter!

I just received my Level & prior to this, I found that my scope base rear mount was loose...so I torqued those down, & re-zeroed my scope, to the specs that I know my rilfe to be. Today, I put the Leveler to test, & VIOLA! My scope was canted, & I went to check my zero with the Zero Point, & sure 'nough, it was off from center that I had it at last night. WOW! What two great complementing tools, that WORK! I'm gunna go confrim my zero later on tonight! Boy I wish I had these two tools BEFORE last weeks turkey shoot! (couldn't hit paper to save my life!) This was on my Savage 110 .30-06 & I tested my 270WSM & the scope was level...(I knew this, as my groups were sub MOA, but high)...

A savage 110 in 30-06..................your as cheap as me!!! Is the 270 wsm a savage too? Haha!
    I think I own 3 savage rifles..........2 are 110s.........and I got my woman a savage 270wsm.
    Thanks for the tip goalie.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The 270WSM is a Remington XCR...sure wish I could adjust the trigger like I can on the Savage...it'd be deadly!

i thought of buying one to level my scopes...........great idea. currently i use the leupold boresighter and could't be happier with it.
    happy trails.
    jh

Gogo, I've got three Rem 700's that I've adjusted to a very crisp and clean 1 1/2 - 2 lb pull, as measured by a pull guage.They are sweet. That's the old trigger and not the new X-Mark trigger. I found a couple of online tutorials that were very helpful. Once you get the hang of it it takes about 10-15 minutes to tune them just the way want... at least that's my experience with these three. I have a Timney on another rifle and have it tuned down to 1 lb and it doesn't break and cleaner than my Rem triggers.

The tutorials will tel you to back out the tension (pull weight) screw until you get it about where you want, then back out the sear engagement and over travel screws a couple of turns. Then recheck your tension screw and set it to where you like it or a little firmer. Then, with bolt/firing pin cocked, slowly screw your sear engagement screw until your firing pins lets go, then back it out slightly. 1/8th turn usually works for me. If you back it out too far, you will get creep. Also note, when you have adjusted the sear engagemnet screw, your trigger pull will usually lighten up a little. Now, screw your overtravel screw back in the same amount of turns you backed it out (make not of how far you back it out - 2 turns should be plenty). Check to see if the trigger fires. If it does, screw the over travel screw in 1/2 turn at a time until the trigger will not break the firing pin. Once you can no longer break the firing pin, back the overtravel screw out in 1/8th of a turn increments until until the trigger will break. You should be very close now. Now, check to see if your pull weight is where you want it and you have no creep. At this point, I fine tune by setting the exact pull weight I want and then fine tune the sear engagement screw by screwing it in until the trigger breaks, then back out 1/8th turn (1/8th turn works for me, YMMV). At this point my trigger will break clean as glass.

If you do it yourself, make sure you do all the safety tests. Make sure the safety functions... Pull hard on the trigger with safety off and on... Slam and close the bolt home numerous times with safety off and on... With muzzle up, firmly wrap the butt of the rifle on the floor several times with safety off and on.

You will need a narrow, fine flat screw driver and you will probably have to scrape away some sealant from the screw heads, which is a good idea to reseal when done.

I use a plum bob and string to align and level my scope. it's more accurate than the action and scope levels.

MR, thanks, I've read those tutorials, & I'm a bit iffy on doin' that right now, & I know what you mean by testin' the bolt & sear & saftey, when I ajdusted my Savage down too low, I noticed that when I'd cycle the action with the bolt, as soon as I'd go to pull the trigger, it was already engaged...I was at a loss as to why that was happening, watched as cycled the bolt, & sure enough, the trigger was too light & I tightened it a bit more & that alleviated the issue, I pounded the rifle on the ground to see if that would engage the sear & the trigger didn't engage, so I leave my trigger where it is now...however, it seems too many screws on the Rem. 700 to meddle with... The XCR, even with the trigger pull poundage at the factory setting is pretty ****ed accurate...so, if it ain't broke...

Gogo, I can understand your hesitation and I'm not going to try to convince you to do something you're not comfortable with which even the tutorials advise against.

I will say this... I felt very much like you before I did my first one. Reading the tutorials, looking at the diagrams, looking at the trigger was a little overwhelming. I just decided to give it a go and there was a lot of trial and error on the first one. After a while I was actually understanding what I was doing. Shooting sweet triggers is a sweet thing.

Good shooting