Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thermacell

Default thermacell

do any of you guys use these and do they work well i was thinking of getting one for baiting and wana make sure they work.

Best thing ever invented!! What a lifesaver it is. Keeps those pesky mosquitos away. I always have one with me while bear baiting. Especially nice when you have to skin a bear out. Highly recommended.

Really? That good?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Really? That good?
    Yes sir, they are. Absolutely the best thing to keep them bugs away.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Default I second that

blasterak Is absolutely right, best stand hunting bug deterrant ever invented. I went from having to use tons of bug dope and netting before the thermacell to literally hunting in a t shirt, and no bug dope or netting. An absolute must have item for me.

Default They are amazing

Who ever invented it should be a billionaire!!! I won't go without.

Works great! Only thing that can affect it is too much wind, that will blow away your umbrella of cover. In calm, it is unbeatable!

We use them out on the boat on PWS. We run three of them while anchored in the evening. No black flies and no no-see-ums. Fantastic product! I am curious if their will be long term effects on us from them. Can't be any worse than DEET, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I won't get in my stand without one. Fire that baby up and in just a few minutes the head net can come off. Doesn't seem to bother the bears any either

sound good thanks guys i will go get one tommorow.

Default test it first

Forgot to mention
    Dont know if anyone else has had any problems with them, but i bought 2 last year each at different times and locations that wouldnt work when i got them out to the field. The strikers wouldnt ignite, may have gotten a bad batch I dont know, but make sure you test them before you take them out. I was able to take them back and trade for working ones. I usually go through 1 and a half fuel cartridges each night I hunt so make sure you have at least 2 with you each night. Even though I got 2 lemons I still would never hunt without one.

Had the same thing last year.. must have been a bad batch. I took them back though and didn't have any problems with the replacements. +1 to blasterak's comment above (feedback given). These are ALWAYS with me now.. hunting, camping, in my boat, pack, etc. IMO they are worth their weight in gold - they work!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Priceless if you don't have get one. buy two that way you have a back up....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

This is good to know I bought two of them after the baiting season and thought I wold try them out this year. I am glad to hear they work the bugs were so bad at my last two stations that I would have to wear a sweat shirt with the hood pulled up and a wide brimed hat to keep them from drilling through the head net in the spots that were to close to the skin. I would also have to wipe the bugs off the head net away from my face because they would be so thick I could not see through them.

At an MSRP of $17, I'm gonna get 5. Where can you get them in SC?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I used them last season at my bait stand and HOLY $%#@ they are everything said above and more. I would get up in the stand and have so many bugs on me that you could count 10 in a square inch. Turn the thermacell on and within 5 minutes I couldn't even find a mesquito. They are a godsend.

Can't say enough about how well they work.

I've gone through about 30 fuel cells and maybe 60 or 70 of the flat things that go on the heating element. Twice I have had units that just stopped working. Probably a clogged fuel line or something. I always kept a backup at the stand so I just turned on the other one. When checking (at a later date) the two units that stopped working, one of them worked fine and the other one still didn't work.

I would usually get the fuel running (you can hear it) and then hit the striker four or five times. Then always shield the sun and look at the ignition light (another element) to make sure it took.

I agree with the above responses. Mine works very well unless it's windy. I still use DEET on my skin and Permetherine on the clothing (old-habits) but that thermacell is worth the few $$$ it costs. If/when mine breaks, I'll get another one.

Priceless! I also use the latern type on my deck at the house. They work period!

Don't pay more than you need to - this link is selling refurbished olive green units (in bulk) for only $14.99 each. A bulk/group order may be worth it if folks are interested. I need a few more myself this year.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Priceless! I also use the latern type on my deck at the house. They work period!
    You said it before I could. The porch sized version is WAAAAAYYY cheaper than the $500 Mosquito Eater I have and no propane to deal with. These little Thermacells are the shiznit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast