Thread: Superchip Tuners for Towing (Vehicle Programers)

Default Superchip Tuners for Towing (Vehicle Programers)

I've been doing a little research on Superchip Tuners to improve performance (fuel economy, Horsepower and Torque) and was wondering if anyone uses any of these on their towing rigs? Are they worth the purchase? What significant increase did you really see? And if your running a Triton V-10 what did you see in specific performance increase? With with I have found so far, out of all the brands, the Superchip brand has the best ratings. The Flashpaq has caught my eye the most so far.

http://www.vehicleprogrammers.com/superchips.html

Not to many brag about better MPG BUT we will brag about the HP&T . The down side is you have to make sure your Clutch, Autmatic tranny, U-joints and rear end can handle the upgraded HP&T.

Most Chips/Tuners WILL shorten the life of your drive train . A easy way to look at how long your motor will last is, it's in relation to how much fuel you push through it, the more fuel you burn the faster your motor wears out.

I run the Smarty Jr. in my 5.9 Cummins and it puts a smile on my face. 425 HP and 800+ ft lbs of torque is FUN and I now have a Valair Kevlar 13" single disk clutch in my 6 spd manual and a new u-joint . I also have a S&B cold air intake and muffler delete. She is a towing BEAST.

Here is what I pull a few thousand miles a year...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just as Pacific23 said, programmers are great and can add tons of HP and torque to a diesel. But usually not a lot on a gasser However it will make a noticeable difference and well worth the money. One main thing to remember is that if the programmer has multiple HP settings be sure to only tow in a setting suitable for towing Too much added HP can and most likely will do damage to stock parts in the drivetrain I have a 2008 cummins 6.7l all greenie stuff deleted and run the Edge Juice with the Attitude monitor. It works great for me and helps when towing thru turnagain pass There are many programmers out there. Check out some of the Ford forums and see what others use on their V-10's. Also if your near eagle river, there is a diesel guy that specializes in performance parts. Ive heard he can get reprogrammed chips too. That's another good option for ya too Sorry I can't think of the guys name though

Rob

Biggest thing your going to notice on a gasser is the way the tranny shifts after the programmer. Not going to notice a huge HP&T gain like you would with a diesel. The change to the shift points makes them much more friendly for towing. I have a 5.9 cummins with a smarty SR and with out the programmer it hunts for a gear a lot causing a lot of tranny heat. With the Smarty it will pick a gear a hold it.

Pacific, Rob and Logan

I really appreciate your input. It really brought to light the fact that for gassers, they could shorten the life of the truck. I'm about to pull the trigger on a used Tow truck, 1 of 3, all V-10 Fords and the last thing I want is to shorten its life span. One of the vehicles already has a Superchip installed, so it perked my interest to see if I don't get that one, would it be worth it to install one the truck I get. Not worth the gamble to me at this point. I don't really think I will have an issue towing my boat with the V-10 as I have one in my MH and its a beast of an engine. I was really more interested in fuel ecomomy savings. Think I might leave it alone for now, but worth the investigation. Thanks again guys! Rob, tried to give you a little love, but I have to spread more around. I'll hit your later.

Mark

Ha ha. No problem. A friend of mine had either a chip or programmer pit in his MH with the V10 from Jim at Northern Diesel Performance in Eagle River. 360-3933. Finally remembered the name.

another thing. Id be very wary of buying a truck that is already "modded" specially with tuners like super chips, smartys and things of the sort. It is really easy to do damage to the motor/tranny and not know it. Tuners like those are only as smart as your foot is. Give it more gas its going to give it more regardless of the condition of the drive train.

Not a gasser, but I have been pulling a 10,000# 5er with a Powerstroke diesel and chipped for years. I have done a number of mods and wouldn't tow without them. I have never been worried about causing any problems to my drivetrain...that is mostly something the dealer tells you to scare you and to try and void your warranty. I contacted a guy who custom burned a four position chip for me based on my truck/tranny/driving needs. It has improved my HP, torque, and mpg in all four modes. In 2011 Ford introduced its new F350 diesel...then Chevy introduced its new Duramax which had "better" numbers...so a couple of weeks later Ford "chipped" its new truck to have more HP and Torque than Chevy. It is all done via the on board computer. If you make your truck smoother when towing it can only improve the life of it, not make it break faster. That said, if you are running drag racing settings on your chip, and hauling a big trailer, then you will break down faster most likely IMHO.

Bottom line is, it does not matter what Chip you have or don't have, how hard you punch the GO pedal will always determine how much fuel you burn. You can set your chip at any setting, but when going over a steep pass at 20 MPH you will get better mileage than going over it at 60MPH :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I have a superchips in a Powerstroke and it works well, with any mods to a diesel I would recomend a tranny temp and exhaust temp gauge.
    With a gas motor I would think a tranny temp gauge would be a good idea (speaking automatics here).
    Towing heavy loads with mods can produce a lot of heat on a automatic, and most of the modern stuff is up to the task, but a simple gauge can prevent a disaster.............
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

Chico, if you go with a chip you might think about a custom tune. I was going to go with one from 5star tuning but then I got scared when Cal's said it would void the warranty. So now I will just think about it for awhile. Here is a quote from what I was looking at.

The SCT X3 would be a nice fit for your truck. The X3 holds 3 custom tunes of your choice that we would write specifically for your 5.4L . See here for some specific tune details. http://www.5startuning.com/5.4L%20V8...ans/index.html. A performance/tow type tune will net you better pulling power from tip in through 4000 RPM's. The truck just with an 87 Octane tune will run with more power through the entire RPM range. Biggest areas to remap are the drive by wire in your truck to get power and much better throttle response. Economy wise most of our customers report back 1-2 mpg max for gains on cheap gas.

The X3 also acts as a diagnostic code reader for any Ford vehicle. Another very flexible advantage the X3 has is it can be used on any Ford Vehicles. So down the road if you upgrade your vehicle to a newer Ford model the X3 still would work on it.

Most of the performance chips out there are for diesel trucks or pickups. Mainly what they do is either dump more fuel in or speed up the shifting to allow a bit more torque. Where we lose a lot of our power or torque is from the exhaust.
    I was talking to an old friend a few years ago and by the way he is a mechanic for both super duty and off road back in Colorado. I had asked him what chip to buy for my dodge because I was pulling a big trailer a lot and just could not get what I thought I should be getting out of the truck.
    He replied with donít waste your money on a chip until you do the exhaust system first. The chip is dumping more fuel and if the engine canít breathe then it is all for not.
    The engine has to have enough air to come in and meet the combustion needs and be able to exhaust the waste. If it canít then itís fighting its self to produce the desired effects.
    For gas itís going to be the same except with higher engine temps which is worse with gas.
    I would suggest the same thing if you can depending where you live. Open up the exhaust system and then look at chipping the computer. The other alternative is to change the gearing in the rear-end to meet the torque you would like to get.
    Also with all this being said it still cost a good bit to do and may or may not be cost effective unless you will have the veh for a long time to come.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I did some talking to our Mechanic Lead here on Slope. He use to be the service manager for Nye Ford. He recommended, I put in a K&N cold intake system in, then put in a Cat Back Exhaust, then Chip it. This seams to be what alot of you are also saying. Gonna get a little pricey at first, but should pay off in the end over time. Thanks for all your input.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    He use to be the service manager for Nye Ford. He recommended, I put in a K&N cold intake system in, then put in a Cat Back Exhaust, then Chip it.
    Understand, K & N are good filters, but they are labor intensive. In our dirty enviornment here in AK, you MUST check this filter on a regular basis, clean it, lube it and replace it on a schedule. If you are not into this sort of thing, do not put one in your system. I replaced my whole FORD factory air inbox and filter with an aftermarket one...amounted to what goes in a Kenworth, and it really opened up the "air in" to my turbo. After turbo my kitty had a sure death and I went with a 4 inch exhaust with a high flow muffler which improvved my "air out". Turbos are all about how much air can you get to it fast, and how fast you can vent it off...the colder the air the better. Oh yeah, gauges first for me! Pyrometer for the turbo and tranny gauge are an absolute "Must" for me.

Back to a chip and/or tuner...they just plug in, and are easy to unplug/remove. Custom burned to your needs, they make your truck shift smoother, and shift at the proper time for your needs, thereby making it more effeciant. I can only see this as a good thing. If I was worried about any type of warranty issue, I would unplug it before heading to the Stealership for service of any kind. But that is just me.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

The greatest mod for a gasser rig is to switch it to a diesel

I've debated chipping my '06 5.9 cummins, but it pulls so effortless through turnagain I just don't see the need for more hp and tq. My goal is to have the engine and drive trane last as long as possible, and I'm not seeing how more hp and tq will have no effect on their life. As to towing trough the mountains as 20mph vs 60, I'd venture a bet you'll get better mileage at 60, provided you have enough power to maintain your speed and don't need to drop gears.