Thread: A Couple of Reminders before Hitting the Road

Thumbs up A Couple of Reminders before Hitting the Road

Seen a bunch of boats on the road this morning, so I thought a couple of reminders might be in order.

1st make sure your lights are working, espcially brake lights...please>>> Also double check your tied on loads, fuel cans (I have recovered 7 cans in the last day or so, most with fuel, from the bridges to Anchorage and quite a few at the top of the hill before North Eagle river exit), zodiacs, rods/nets, life jackets and I have even picked up a flare kit.....was new. Some may want to consider strapping or bracing their outboards as I seen a few flopping around pretty hard crossing a couple of good bumps before Eagle River inbound.

Next for those with oversize loads. Signs both front and back. Don't forget to get your blinky light on the roof.

The last thing is remember that there are "No Movement" restrictions Monday thru Friday from the Glenn hwy weigh station to the Potter Marsh weigh station. Times vary slightly based on size, but for most of us at 10 feet and under 7-8AM, 11:30AM–1PM and 4:30 to 6 pm Monday thru Friday. The other one to remember is "No Movement": 6-8AM, 11:30AM-1PM & 4:30-6PM M-F in Mat-Su area: Jct Glenn/Parks to MP 49.5 Glenn Hwy & to MP 52.3 Parks Hwy.

So as not to exclude our Farther North Forum Members: No movement: 7-8AM & 4:30-6PM M-F in Fairbanks urban area(s). No movement: 11:30AM-1PM in Fairbanks urban area.

Most of what I posted is what I seen this morning during a trip to Anchorage from Eagle river and back.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Seen a bunch of boats on the road this morning, so I thought a couple of reminders might be in order.

1st make sure your lights are working, espcially brake lights...please>>> Also double check your tied on loads, fuel cans (I have recovered 7 cans in the last day or so, most with fuel, from the bridges to Anchorage and quite a few at the top of the hill before North Eagle river exit), zodiacs, rods/nets, life jackets and I have even picked up a flare kit.....was new. Some may want to consider strapping or bracing their outboards as I seen a few flopping around pretty hard crossing a couple of good bumps before Eagle River inbound.

Next for those with oversize loads. Signs both front and back. Don't forget to get your blinky light on the roof.

The last thing is remember that there are "No Movement" restrictions Monday thru Friday from the Glenn hwy weigh station to the Potter Marsh weigh station. Times vary slightly based on size, but for most of us at 10 feet and under 7-8AM, 11:30AM–1PM and 4:30 to 6 pm Monday thru Friday. The other one to remember is "No Movement": 6-8AM, 11:30AM-1PM & 4:30-6PM M-F in Mat-Su area: Jct Glenn/Parks to MP 49.5 Glenn Hwy & to MP 52.3 Parks Hwy.

So as not to exclude our Farther North Forum Members: No movement: 7-8AM & 4:30-6PM M-F in Fairbanks urban area(s). No movement: 11:30AM-1PM in Fairbanks urban area.

Most of what I posted is what I seen this morning during a trip to Anchorage from Eagle river and back.
    Hey Dupont, what exactly does "No Movement" restrictions mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey Dupont, what exactly does "No Movement" restrictions mean?
    If you tow a permitted load, over width (anything over 102 inches is over width) is what most of us deal with here, you are not allowed to move that permitted load during the above mentioned restrictions inside the areas mentioned. If you look the times are peak traffic times and a time most of us avoid anyway.

I did see one boat pulled over today by Troopers/DOT. Then seen it later sitting off the exit ramp for a short time. Must had to go get their over size permits.

Where does a guy go get a permit. I need one for a one way trip to Whitter ( I sold the boat). I stopped at the DMV here in Seward and she said she doesn't do them. She thought you can go on line but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks for your time
    Olin

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Where does a guy go get a permit. I need one for a one way trip to Whitter ( I sold the boat). I stopped at the DMV here in Seward and she said she doesn't do them. She thought you can go on line but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks for your time
    Olin

Here you go

https://myalaska.state.ak.us/home/app

Click on measurement standards & commerical vehicle enforcement. This will take you to a MYAlaska login page/create account. Follow the directions and then fill out form, pay, then print. If you need more help to walk thru PM me. One good thing is once you do it once your permit is already there for future permits if you move the same rig. Also ALWAYS use the trailer plate number then you can tow it with any rig on the same permit.

Then go here and get the extra paper work needed such as Hours of Darkness (HD) and Holiday Restrictions (HR) etc, etc. Remember you have to have these documents when you are on the road.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/mscve/per...TOKEN=44375279

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Here you go

https://myalaska.state.ak.us/home/app

Click on measurement standards & commerical vehicle enforcement. This will take you to a MYAlaska login page/create account. Follow the directions and then fill out form, pay, then print. If you need more help to walk thru PM me. One good thing is once you do it once your permit is already there for future permits if you move the same rig. Also ALWAYS use the trailer plate number then you can tow it with any rig on the same permit.

Then go here and get the extra paper work needed such as Hours of Darkness (HD) and Holiday Restrictions (HR) etc, etc. Remember you have to have these documents when you are on the road.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/mscve/per...TOKEN=44375279
    Thanks for posting this. Sure beats going down and doing it in person.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Dupont,

The new oversize permits do not have the rush hour restrictions between the weigh stations nor the holiday restrictions. At least mine did not have those two listed this year under the "CONDITIONS"

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Dupont,

The new oversize permits do not have the rush hour restrictions between the weigh stations nor the holiday restrictions. At least mine did not have those two listed this year under the "CONDITIONS"
    Your permit looks like this correct. This is right off their site. If you went thru the web process and it did not show then their is a problem with their web based program. A quick call to DOT may be in order to keep yourself out of hot water. I know for a fact the Holiday restrictions have not changed.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/mscve/per...PermitForm.pdf

If it does then you need to check those items that apply(If not checked automatically), which includes the no movement for overwidth loads during rush hour. You actually need to read thru the stupid stautes to find all this garabage and ignorance is not an excuse, as I have found out.

Understand I am just the messenger.