Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: transpo to/from airport to situk river in yakutat

  1. #1

    Default transpo to/from airport to situk river in yakutat

    A friend and I just booked flights to yakutat for next weekend. We will be floating the situk in a couple of inflatable kayaks that we are bringing...

    The question is this: What is the best way to travel from the airport to the top of the river and from the bottom of the river back to the airport?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theronn View Post
    A friend and I just booked flights to yakutat for next weekend. We will be floating the situk in a couple of inflatable kayaks that we are bringing...

    The question is this: What is the best way to travel from the airport to the top of the river and from the bottom of the river back to the airport?
    I will be there in two weeks. We are using Yakutat lodge for the pickup and drop off. They are charging us $100 for pick up and $100 for dropoff. So that's one option anyway.

  3. #3

    Default

    I was down there last year and took a cab from the boat harbor to the river and he was going to come and pick us up later that day. The 8 mile drive cost us $50 there and was going to cost us $50 back but we decided to thumb a ride back (most people in Yakutat are very nice, it seems everybody waves at you in town) and call the cab driver to let him know we didn't need a ride back. I thought $50 was steep but if qkayak is looking at $100 I would take a cab and schedule a pick up with him!
    Hope your trip is good, and post pics when you get back! I wish I could go down there during the heat of the steelhead season!

  4. #4

    Default

    Theronn, tried to send you a pm but your box is full!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Be prepared to dish out some cash or trade for somebody picking you up hitchhiking. Yes, the folks are nice there, but the people who pick you up are likely other fisher folks that paid $$ for a rental rig and $7/gal fuel. It will suck if you get stranded. Good luck though.

  6. #6
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I will be there in two weeks. We are using Yakutat lodge for the pickup and drop off. They are charging us $100 for pick up and $100 for dropoff. So that's one option anyway.
    FYI
    I hear they have banned centerpins there during the months of April and May now.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    FYI
    I hear they have banned centerpins there during the months of April and May now.
    That's ok. Chuck taught me how to use a spinning rod with shrimp.

  8. #8

    Default

    hold on... let me right this down... no centerpins, shrimp with spin rod... what about gill nets?

  9. #9

    Default

    dang I spelled write wrong.... I hate when that happens.

  10. #10
    Member AKducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    485

    Default

    a couple years ago I went to yakutat and hitchhiked, I got a ride withen 100 yards of the airport and got a ride back pretty easily, that being said I would probably get a cab ride out there, that way I could go to the store and get some suppiles (I cooked the whole time over an open fire) a ride back may be tough because the flights don't corrispond with when people are leaving the river (I got a ride the night before then hung out at the fly shop the next day)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •