Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold

Default Leupold

I sent a vxii 2x7 to leupold it had Stoney point turrets put in it. Leupold gets it and put the original equipment back on. Anyhow they sent it back and a letter came with it stating this scope was made in 1983! Wow I thought that was pretty neat... The letter concluded the scope will give many more yrs of service. I know there other outfits making scopes but I have always been a leupold guy. I will continue to be a leupold guy!

They make good products, and they stand by their products 100%. I ask no more, and expect no less than that from any Man or any Company.

Yeah, they're the best alright...I wouldn't have another scope if my life depended upon it...I own two rifle scopes & a pair o' binos...my boys will get them when I'm gone, & hopefully their boy's boys'...

They are indeed the best out there.

Leupold makes excellent riflescopes and their customer service is absolutely the best in the business. It is hard to go wrong with Gold Ring products.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Leupold is indeed the best budget scope maker and likely the best large US optics manufacturer. To call them the best scope maker though is laughable. They do have a great warranty but I know lots of folks that have needed to use it.

Leupold are very good, no question, but I just bought my first Nightforce, they are better and I'm looking for my next one.

i have been a leupold fan and enjoy their full product line to include fixed power scopes to huge varibles. never in over 50 years of shooting have i returned one of their products, so the warranty is for other folks. they are a great american company, who this last year also began producing the redfield line.
    in the day, redfield and leupold were the scopes to own. they still are.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Leupold is indeed the best budget scope maker and likely the best large US optics manufacturer. To call them the best scope maker though is laughable. They do have a great warranty but I know lots of folks that have needed to use it.
    I'm not laughing. My VX-III's are the best scopes that I own..."best" meaning most durable & reliable. I own other scopes that I bought a few years back (Swarovski Z-6, Kahles and Zeis), and they clearly (pune intended) do have clearer/sharper optical quality, but IMHO they are not as durable and reliable as my VX-III's. I'm not selling those other scopes, but I'm not buying anymore either because the optical quality of my VX-III's is excellent and good enough for me...and I just keep buying more VX-III's with each new rifle.

Best and budget are subjective. I prefer Leupold to Swarovski. Even if they were the same price I would buy the Leupold VX-3 with side focus over the Swarovski in the same mag level.

I like the NF that McMillan offers on their TAC 338LM but the MK-4 I put on mine has great glass and 10moa more elevation for $1,000.00 less cash.

I really like the Swarovski STM-80 HD but at nearly $3,500.00 for it and a tri-pod and case it's just to far above my pay grade.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Best and budget are subjective.
    That's an accurate statement Marshall. Leupolds are, for the most part, above MY pay grade! I only own one and I got it used. It is a nice scope but to me no better than others I own. To my eyes and budget the best deal going are the Redfields. I have yet to read any explanation as to how they are not as good as the Leupolds for less than half the money.

Outside of rifle scopes is where leupy really gets outclassed! There is many brands that produce better spotters and binos while generally costing less. Their second and third tier sport optics might as well be made by tasco.

Outside of rifle scopes is where leupy really gets outclassed! There is many brands that produce better spotters and binos while generally costing less. Their second and third tier sport optics might as well be made by tasco.
    I agree 100% with you. I'm not trading my Leica binoculars or Swarovski spotting scope for anything.

yep, Lp has a very excellent track record for service and there glass is good, have had a number of the glass loose tracking abilities and/or reticle distruction..literally. I still use them...leaning toward a different brand/animal this summer tho'.

In some circles you would be called a hunting snob... Oh Carlton bring me my whine while I look through my swarvoski spotter... Insert rich man laugh oh Carlton look at the commoners using ugh leupold stuff so inferior. So I'm a commoner I buy my leupolds used... I use a nikon spotter and I have a set of redfield binos and nikon binos.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    In some circles you would be called a hunting snob... Oh Carlton bring me my whine while I look through my swarvoski spotter... Insert rich man laugh oh Carlton look at the commoners using ugh leupold stuff so inferior. So I'm a commoner I buy my leupolds used... I use a nikon spotter and I have a set of redfield binos and nikon binos.
    Not a snob, I used to use an old eureka frame pack and coleman sleeping bag and tent for years. They worked and I had a good time using them. I am however not confused into thinking they were the best. They were just the best I could afford at the time.

Certainly nothing wrong with any of that stuff. I firmly believe that the guy that goes afield with $250 bino, $400 spotter and is able to break away for more days then the guy with $2000 binos and $2500 spotter can because he has to work more to pay for his optics will likely be more successful. TIme afield in my mind will always reign supreme over toys. Just so long as you have somewhat decent glass to help you spot critters and enjoy being out for as long as possible the higher your chances of success will be. The moose don't care if they were spotted with Nikon's or Leica's or Leupolds or Swarovskis.

I spent the first 44 years of my life less than 6 miles from Leupold Stevens, I have known literally dozens of people who work or worked for them and all had high praise for any and every aspect of the company - Naturally I have used Leupold scopes extensively, I have also owned Kahles, Zeiss, Nikon, Weaver and Tasco - I will stay with Leupold thank you - they are way ahead of the "curve" on new technologies and materials and have never rested on their laurels when there was an improvement to be made - I laugh at the statement re: "budget", also that "he knows lots of people who have had troubles with a Leupold" ... 1% of 100,000 is a hell of a lot more than 1% of 10,000 and if anyone wants to take a bet of which high quality scopes are in most use I'm your huckleberry - Don't forget the biggest reason European optics cost more .... and more expensive ain't necessarily better ... I strongly suspect that Leupold's are on more police, military & discerning shooters equipment than all others combined and for MY money the VX3 line is all I will ever need

I do believe "scopes" were the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I spent the first 44 years of my life less than 6 miles from Leupold Stevens, I have known literally dozens of people who work or worked for them and all had high praise for any and every aspect of the company - Naturally I have used Leupold scopes extensively, I have also owned Kahles, Zeiss, Nikon, Weaver and Tasco - I will stay with Leupold thank you - they are way ahead of the "curve" on new technologies and materials and have never rested on their laurels when there was an improvement to be made - I laugh at the statement re: "budget", also that "he knows lots of people who have had troubles with a Leupold" ... 1% of 100,000 is a hell of a lot more than 1% of 10,000 and if anyone wants to take a bet of which high quality scopes are in most use I'm your huckleberry - Don't forget the biggest reason European optics cost more .... and more expensive ain't necessarily better ... I strongly suspect that Leupold's are on more police, military & discerning shooters equipment than all others combined and for MY money the VX3 line is all I will ever need
    I don't know about police but I have spent 25 of the last 27 months in the sand box and Trijicon ACOG's and EOTech's seem to be the most popular at least at the numerous bases I have been. I don't know that I have seen a single Leupold over here yet. Of all the combat troops I have talked optics with they would all bet their life on the ACOG, in fact they DO bet their lives on them. The reticle on every leupold I have ever looked through is just not as clear as the etched reticle on the Zeiss and the glass is not as bright. Ultimately the most important feature on the scope is the crosshairs, they need to accurately aim the rifle and be crystal clear on a variety of backgrounds. In the latter category my Zeiss is much better. I don't know why Leupy is still using wire reticles as opposed to etched, to me this seems to be "behind the curve". For a company that is supposed to be the equal of the german optics as far as technology I have sure never seen a Leupold surgical microscope.

Honestly the VXII is all anyone would ever "need" as are a number of Bushnell and even Burris scopes, but where is the fun in that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast