Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top of the heap Alaskan Taxidermy thread...

Default Top of the heap Alaskan Taxidermy thread...

Alright guys and gals. Lets use this thread to post our opinions on who does the best taxidermy by species, and within a specific species whether they are best at a certain style, (shoulder mount, rug etc.) with supporting pics and a detailed description as to WHY you feel they are the best in the state. I think this would help everyone that doesn't have the means or time to travel around to all the taxidermist to see for themselves. I don't unfortunately have anything to post myself, but am excited to what everyone can gain from this information to include me. Remember, this is for positive posts, not bashing. Respect everyone's opinions.

AZinAK

Best in the state. No particular order.
    Robert Holshauser
    Joe Romero
    Frank Entsminger
    Their work speaks for itself. End of thread

I keep seeing Joe's name come up. I did a quick google search, and found out the name of his studio, but couldn't find any pics of his stuff. It's sounds like he is top notch. Anyone have pics of his work? By the way,great thread. I hope we get a ton of responses on here, and it doesn't get moved!!!!!

Among other things I really like the work on sheepshoulder mounts and bear body mounts at Foster's.

Rich Hamilton of Browtine Taxidermy gets my vote, he is a true artist. I have seen a lot of his work and it doesn't mater what kind of mount it is, I am amazed every time. He is also an avid hunter who understands how much your trophy means to you.

Dave Winey out of Valdez has my vote for sure. He has done countless sheep mounts (mostly shoulder) of mine, friends, and family that have all turned out incredible.

I'll throw a vote out for Woodland Taxidermy, I've always liked his work.

Default Double Shovel

Mark Higgins AKA "Squirrel" gets my vote and has a website with good pictures representing his work. http://www.doubleshovel2010.com/aboutmark.htm

He has done a dall sheep and white tail for me. I know he has won a few awards from the SCI competition a few years back.

I can't make any recommendations but come on guys, he asked for supporting documentation like pictures. If you are throwing out a name and don't have anything by that person I might question your suggestion. Lets see the detailed pictures. Close ups of the nose, mouth, eyes and a couple of full views to back up your claim.

Do anyone know if there is a state competion and if so who has won over the last few year for the different catagories?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Im gonna agree with aksquirrel, and Ernie Scar....Best in the state. But I will list them specifically in that order.

1)Robert Holshauser...for years he has worked out of Woodland Taxidermy, owned by Larry McMurphy, in Palmer, AK. Roberts work is sensational. Absolute the finest customer service. Taxidermy trophys are returned to customer/clients in a very reasonable (short-ish) time.
    2)Joe Romero....Higher cost (supply and demand), longer turn-around-time-period.
    3)Frank Entsminger....all around ram expert, simply not located close to AK population centers.

As I have written many time before, I suggest each individual visit several taxidermists prior to making the decision of who gets to turn a rag-of-a-cape into a living replica of the original. View their work. Ask skinning and caping questions. If you are not experienced, I strongly suggest that you volunteer a few hours of your time to your potential taxidermist. Ask them to guide you through the caping process on a throw-away caribou cape. Observe the skinning process when the first black bear off the highway system comes into the shop "in the round".

(Sorry, no pics avail from me at this moment, but I'm looking at five really fine ram mounts done by Woodland Taxidermy as I hammer out these few words...)

dennis

Chuck Buchanan in B.C is for sure the best bear man and I find no fault in any of his work. Chuck probably does 90% of the bears from Haines and did all the Bald Eagle museum there.
    http://www.placesearth.com/canada/yu...crossing.shtml
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My vote is for Rich Hamilton. I am a bit biased because he has done work for me, but he realy does a great job and I doubt that there are many people that care more about their work.

Quote Originally Posted by aksere View Post
    Rich Hamilton of Browtine Taxidermy gets my vote, he is a true artist. I have seen a lot of his work and it doesn't mater what kind of mount it is, I am amazed every time. He is also an avid hunter who understands how much your trophy means to you.
    My buddy has used him ona couple sheep (and other things), and after seeing them, I couldn't agree with you more! My friends sheep look so real. He also had a bou done, and it is one of the best bou I have ever seen. Hamilton is good.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I can't make any recommendations but come on guys, he asked for supporting documentation like pictures. If you are throwing out a name and don't have anything by that person I might question your suggestion. Lets see the detailed pictures. Close ups of the nose, mouth, eyes and a couple of full views to back up your claim.

Do anyone know if there is a state competion and if so who has won over the last few year for the different catagories?
    I agree! I'm seeing a bunch of support, and names (some I have never heard of), but no pics! This has been good so far, because like I said, I'm learning names of Taxidermist I have never heard of!!!! Since I don't have a curent taxidermist (my old one sold his business) I'm really excited to see where this thread goes!

Rich Hamilton, is a wildlife artist. He is for sure one of the best in the Fairbanks area. Skip from Salcha is also very good, especially sheep.

Rich mounted this double broomer for me and has another sheep and a goat that he is doing for me now.

Rich also mounted this Blackie for me.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice Stid! This is what I was talking about. Pics to give validity to your suggestions. Rich Hamilton's work is impressive. Keep the posts coming everyone, this is headed in the right direction!

AZinAK

Ill post mine as soon as i can AZinAK

O.K., there is no single difinitive answer; kind of like "in the eye of the beholder". I certainly have not seen some of the work of the taxidermists mentioned here. What I will say is that some of the mounts I have seen on this website are amazingly unlifelike. Everyone has their favorite artist it seems just as I have mine. I continue to pay the high prices at Aurora Wildlife Arts. If you want to see his work and live in Anchorage, you can visit his shop: he had three mounts there last time I visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    O.K., there is no single difinitive answer; kind of like "in the eye of the beholder". I certainly have not seen some of the work of the taxidermists mentioned here. What I will say is that some of the mounts I have seen on this website are amazingly unlifelike. Everyone has their favorite artist it seems just as I have mine. I continue to pay the high prices at Aurora Wildlife Arts. If you want to see his work and live in Anchorage, you can visit his shop: he had three mounts there last time I visited.
    Bingo. "Different strokes for different folks", or "when everyone thinks the same way, nobody is thinking very much", or "nobody thinks they have bad taste"

If it floats your boat then that's all that matters. You're the one paying the taxidermy bill ~ who gives a rats arse what other people think.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Bingo. "Different strokes for different folks", or "when everyone thinks the same way, nobody is thinking very much", or "nobody thinks they have bad taste"

If it floats your boat then that's all that matters. You're the one paying the taxidermy bill ~ who gives a rats arse what other people think.
    Of course as explained in my original post, this is an opinion based thread. The beauty of a forum like this is we can gain information and perspective on any given subject to include taxidermy. People are posting THEIR opinions and the supporting info/pics as to why they feel they are "top notch". Whether everyone agrees or not is not the basis of this thread. POSITIVE, INFORMATIVE posts are going to at the very least help people see and hear peoples opinions on this opinionated topic. If you think this post is a waste of time, go elsewhere. For those of us that can gain from it, please keep posting. I am already happy with the results so far...

AZinAK

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast