Thread: Why aren't magnum calibers offered in Pump Action?

Default Why aren't magnum calibers offered in Pump Action?

I like the reliability and functionallity of the pump action over any other actions. One can reload another round in a chamber faster with a pump as compared to a fixed chamber action like the bolt, the lever or the hinge actions. One can stay on a target for a follow up shop with a pump action over all actions, except the semi-automatic. But, one doesn't have the performance loss with the pump action as compared to the semi automatics. I think of all the actions available today, the pump action would be the most desirable, all things considered.

Why can't one find a 300 win mag or a 375 H&H in pump action? anybody know?

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Have you checked out the Browning BPR? It was/is chambered in 7mm Mag and 300 Win. Mag.

Default Why aren't magnum calibers offered in Pump Action?

Thanks.

Just checked Browning's website. No BPR. Read some other articles about Browning's BPR being discontinued back in 1997.

Only thing in pump action out there in production today is the Remington 7600. Its only available up to 30-06. I want the accuracy of a bolt, but I hate the bolt action functioning. You have to take a bolt action down from shooting position to work the bolt and re scope the target. Lots of waisted motion here. With a pump action, you are right there, very little movement.

It sure would be cool if there was a 300 win mag in pump action out there.

KatzMO

Quote Originally Posted by KatzMO View Post
    You have to take a bolt action down from movement.shooting position to work the bolt and re scope the target. Lots of waisted motion here.
    KatzMO
    UMM, actually you don't. You will be surprised by someone who is truely good on a bolt gun, they can be cycled and fired accurately very fast by a good rifleman. if you are ever in a pizz your pants situation I guarentee you don't want to take the time to unshoulder your gun.

Default 35 whealen

I know Grice gun shop in Pennsylvania Had a big run of 7600s built in 35 whealen a few years ago they still had some on the shelf when I was in there over Thanksgiving on vacation. I will look and see if they are listed on their web site.

I know it is not a magnum but it still has some good whompen power

Woody

The bolt action is much easier to use from the prone position. A good, smooth bolt (I like my Browning A-Bolt) can be very fast with practice. That being said, I'm guessing there's not much selection in pump mags b/c either there is no demand or the mechanism isn't strong enough for the pressures involved.

Quote Originally Posted by KatzMO View Post
    Thanks.

Just checked Browning's website. No BPR. Read some other articles about Browning's BPR being discontinued back in 1997.

Only thing in pump action out there in production today is the Remington 7600. Its only available up to 30-06. I want the accuracy of a bolt, but I hate the bolt action functioning. You have to take a bolt action down from shooting position to work the bolt and re scope the target. Lots of waisted motion here. With a pump action, you are right there, very little movement.

It sure would be cool if there was a 300 win mag in pump action out there.

KatzMO

You didn't say you wanted a currently manufactured one. I won't bother answering anymore questions from you unless you are more specific. Don't like wasting my time.

Default Why Aren't magnum Calibers offered In Pump Action

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't aware there was a company out there that modifies 7600s in the 35 caliber.

Learn something new every day.

Tyrex13, good point about the bolt in the prone position. I can see how a bolt does have an advantage here over the pump action here.

I guess I'll just have to put up with my bolt actions and make the 1st shot count. And practice more.

AA, sorry man, didn't mean anything negative by my earlier response. Didn't mean to waste your time.

smwwoody, I will check out the 35s in 7600 on the website provided. Thanks,

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

Default 7600

Those 7600's weren't modified. Grice ordered them straight from Remington like that. They are one of the largest gun dealers on the east coast. This lets them get special Grice only runs from the manufactures.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by smwwoody View Post
    Those 7600's weren't modified. Grice ordered them straight from Remington like that. They are one of the largest gun dealers on the east coast. This lets them get special Grice only runs from the manufactures.

Woody

Actually any firearms distributor can get special order firearms from Remington if they order 500 of them. I have bought a couple of the 35 Whelen pump guns from Grice. I even went to their little shop in PA to check on the status of the shipment a week after I ordered them.

Default Why Aren't Magnum Calibers Offered In Pump Action

Great information guys.

Thanks Again,

KatzMO

Default Grice

Allen,

I grew up about 35 miles from their shop. What took you to Clearfield?

Woody

I was up visiting some friends in Rixford and Mt. Union. Decided to stop in and check on the order while I was on my way to Mt. Union.

Real nice car collection they have in the shop.

Default Magnum pump negative aspects.....

Pump actions due not have the powerful extraction cam that bolt actions do.

Pump extractors do not have as much bearing surface as many bolt actions.

One or both of above can cause difficult or impossible extraction with loads leaning towards max.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Pump actions due not have the powerful extraction cam that bolt actions do.

Pump extractors do not have as much bearing surface as many bolt actions.

One or both of above can cause difficult or impossible extraction with loads leaning towards max.
    Exactly! It isn't so much the lockup strength but the lack of caming ability (such as with a bolt action) in extraction. This lack of extraction strength would be worse with belted cases, they sometimes need a little leverage to extract. I did have the opportunity to examine a new(er) 35 Whelen in a 7600 pump gun this past week. My smithie had found one in Pennsylvania and bought it for his trapping buddy for about $450. These newer guns have two big front locking lugs rather than the two rows of three and seem much stronger. The dual big lugs don't show wear and tear like the multi lug versions do.

I will also say they are not quicker to operate and shoot acccurately than a good bolt gun, by an experienced operator. It's just what you get conditioned to, bolt or pump.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Custom Reminton 7600 & 7400 Rifles

Short of tracking down a discontinued Browning BPR this is as close as you can get as far as I am aware of.

http://www.remington7400.com/index.php

Shown with scope not included and no adjustable comb.

Heavy Barreled Remington 7600

• UMCM Barrel Guaranteed ¾ MOA Accuracy @ 100 yards with factory ammo.
    • 3.5# trigger short take up
    • Adjustable comb stock for left or right hand shooters
    • Raised scope rail for large objective scopes
    • Steel 10 round magazine
    • Calibers 243Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 308 Win. Match, 25.06 Rem.,270 Win., 280Rem, 30.06, 35 Whelen, 338 Federal
    Price $1149.95 (With stainless barrel add $60.00)