Thread: How to tell if I fried my CB radio?

Default How to tell if I fried my CB radio?

I've been tinkering with my CB radio for quite some time now. After I installed it and hooked it up to my antenna, I was getting a high SWR or about 3 or higher, in the red. I was recieving traffic on several channels, but I wasn't gettin anyone to answer my calls. That was about 2 weeks ago. I've been tweeking, and splicing cables, grounding stuff, trying to get my SWR down to a 2 or better. playing with it in the garage like I'm not supposed to do etc. I finally have the radio calibrated and am at about a 2.0 in the green, I'm running a 102" whip and a Radio Shack Classic with WX band. I've been hailing on the radio left and right on every frequency and nothing at all!!! It's got me thinking that I may have blown or fried something. The transmission signal meter is pegging out on the far right of the meter now that I installed a 102" SS whip. I'm picking up the NOAA WX band loud and clear. What to do or check. I'm in Wasilla off of Shrock rd, and figured out of all the rednecks in the Valley with dual antennas on thier trucks some chatter has to be on the airwaves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

do you hear anyone other than NOAA WX..??? Could be there just isn't anyone out there with "their ears on"...!!!
    If you do hear some "chatter" on any channel - then try to contact them... otherwise I'd say your simply talking to yourself on CB anymore...

I really doubt you blew the radio. The next thing I would do is check to see if you have modulation.
    Modulation is the audio on an rf signal. Key your mike and look at the meter, whistle into the mike does the meter move? If it does you have audio (modulation) on your signal. If you don’t everything may still be ok, it just your radio is not showing audio when you talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I really doubt you blew the radio. The next thing I would do is check to see if you have modulation.
    Modulation is the audio on an rf signal. Key your mike and look at the meter, whistle into the mike does the meter move? If it does you have audio (modulation) on your signal. If you don’t everything may still be ok, it just your radio is not showing audio when you talk.
    According to your post I do have modulation, when talking the meter moves and adjusts as I speak, the louder I speak the farther to the right the goes. Perhaps I'm the only guy stuck in the 70's and 80's in my neck of the woods? That first day, I heard tons of chatter on 6, 16, and 2 other frequencies. Ch 16 sounded like a bunch of truckers or a gravel pit. Ch 6 sounded like some kids in Jeep's or 4X4's playin. Since then nada. I'm gonna have my buddy from Peter's creek come up her and we're gonna test these out. I guess, he's not havin any luck either. I figured all of the truckers I see with antennas would monitor 9 and 19, but they either don't or are anti social or there is no radio, just antennas?

Thanks for the help last week, got a new cable, SWR is lots better now.

Could you be listening to “skip”?May be I should explain, “skip” is not a person it’s when the condition are just right you can hear signal from thousand of miles away.

Guy on the Jeep forum on this same double post is sayin my finals maybe blown. Skip does sound familiar. The talk on the radio really didn't fit the area and it echoed and was really hard to make them out. 2 weeks ago, my buddy from Peter's creek was next to my Jeep and we were talkin 20 ft away from one another, and the sound was clear, crist, no echo. Then 75 yds down the driveway nothing? Is it possible both of our finals are blown, if so are they easliy replaced, inexpensive or is it best to just buy a new radio. What could have caused the blown finals? Thanks Billy

The power you are using to make the SWR measurement is being generated by the final. If your final were bad you could not make an swr measurement. If you remember 2 weeks ago you had antenna problem that is why you not could talk to your friend over 75 feet. In case you have not done it I recommend you measure your swr out side your garage, anything within 30 feet could effect the reading.

I have a Uniden pc76xlw cb radio and I cant recieve anything. My weather channels are loud and clear but I cant ever get anyone to respond to me. I know there are truckers in my area because of the farmers hauling grain. I have a cheapo three foot magnetic antenna, could that be the problem? Also could something like the final be bad? Any help will be much appreciated!