Thread: "Issue" or "No Issue?"

Default "Issue" or "No Issue?"

Picked up a set of .300 win mag dies at the gun show today. Reloaded some nosler partition accubonds with it tonight in 200 gr. 30 cal. in various powder loads to test for pressure before looking for accuaracy later. I'm using new winchester cases. About half of the loads (some low charges and some higher) the neck shows minor waves or ribs running circular around - not lengthwise.

Any idea what is causing this? Should I be concerned about firing the rounds? They are not for my gun but I'd hate to lose a good hunting partner. :-)

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

You may be running the cases to far into the die and starting to crimp the case. Try backing the die off a ways and setting the seater deeper for same seat depth.

Are you getting a little bit more resistance at the end of the seating process? If so the above may be the problem.

If the cartridge will chamber it will straighten itself out when fired, but if the wrinkle is too much it may not even chamber at all. If not you can pull the bullet and reload it in a new case.

did you get a little heavy on the case lube?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I wanna get in on the ground floor, cogitating about this:

IME, when you run the case too far into the seating die, and over crimp, or crimp when you don't wanna, it results in expanding the outside of the shoulder, and you see a shiny ring there, or the case won't chamber, or you collapse the neck etc. depending on how bad the problem.

But, what TYBSP says is worth checking, for sure.

I wonder what these waves, look like. Are they scratches or indentations from the die?

Can we assume that you sized the neck smooth, and this is taking place during seating?

I shore am curious bout these waves. Was the tide comin in?

Smitty of the North

Default "Issue"

I'd say you didn't trim the new brass to uniform length.

I'd say your seating die is set up to crimp and you're crimping some more than others. (due to the varing length)

I'd say you should not be seating and crimping in the same operation.

I'd say the wrinkled rounds will not chamber and if they do pressure will be higher.

I'd say it is an "issue", but I don't use that term to describe a problem.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default More Info. on "Issue"

High Country-
    I don't think the case lube should be the problem. The case damage came in the seating process after cleaning with a cloth and a half hour in the tumbler.

Murphy-
    My Nosler book shows case length to be 2.620 and I trimmed them to 2.610. Since the intent of these rounds is to test for pressure at various powder types and powder quantity, I'm going to pull them and start over.

I think that the die was set too low and will try readjusting it up and the bullet seating down to keep the same overall length. I'm trying put the overall length .03 under the book's overall length of 3.340, making my mark 3.310.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3