Thread: from adn today.........what do you think?

Default from adn today.........what do you think?

Sounds great. A solution that may or may not work, but a viable solution nonetheless. Thanks for posting.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Default hangin' over the side to help the fish

Great news for the fishery!

The last paragraph is pretty funny though:
    Otter deterrent
    In England otters are being kept away from local fishing areas with lion dung from the London Zoo. The poo is mixed into a spray and squirted around the ponds and lakes where otters are stealing fish. The otters have disappeared overnight, according to the New Zealand Herald.
    I can see it now down on K bay; fishermen hangin' both cheeks over the side to help the fish.

What I think is that unless you have ocean conditions contributing to high at-sea survival it doesn't make a difference how many smolts you put out.
    Kinda like starting lots of plants indoors under lights with good soil and supplements..... Then planting them in a desert.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

homerdave, I hear you about simply spamming the oceans with smolt. But, in this case I don't think they intend the fertilization to be a perpetual thing. It's more like a jump start for a depressed system to re-load it with nutrients that the fish carcasses would normally be providing. This is something peculiar to sockeye in a few circumstances. It's still no guarantee, though.

they tried that on Afognak then overescaped the crap out of the system because they couldn't effectively fish the bay... turned out bad...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    What I think is that unless you have ocean conditions contributing to high at-sea survival it doesn't make a difference how many smolts you put out.
    Kinda like starting lots of plants indoors under lights with good soil and supplements..... Then planting them in a desert.
    I think you are spot on about the ocean part of their life cycle but i think the more strong smolt you put out the more you will get back.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I think you are spot on about the ocean part of their life cycle but i think the more strong smolt you put out the more you will get back.
    kgpcr:
    If you start with a large number of "strong smolts" and a habitat component or food is limited then wouldn't that effect the entire lot of smolts and they would then become less strong resulting in high mortality of the lot of fish? The return rate would then be low.

ClearCreek
    Last edited by ClearCreek; 04-17-2011 at 12:48. Reason: misspelled word

I believe the theory is that artificial fertilizer makes for "stronger smolts" with a higher survival rate. When more adults return the carcasses provide natural fertilizer bringing the system back up to more traditional levels.