Thread: Winchester mod. 64

Default Winchester mod. 64

I'm tring to find a butt stock for a mod.64. Not finding anything on-line. Understand a pre 64 mod. 94 with pistol grip will work but can't seem to fine one of them. Any ideas
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I'm tring to find a butt stock for a mod.64. Not finding anything on-line. Understand a pre 64 mod. 94 with pistol grip will work but can't seem to fine one of them. Any ideas
    I may be 100% wrong but I thought Winchester or Browning made a short run of model-64's. Have you contacted Winchester.....???

They made a one year run in 72 but it was basicly a post 64 mod.94 stright grip. The places Winchester says has parts don't have any. The stock was cut off right behind the pistol grip so I may try a butt transplant if all fails
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

so I may try a butt transplant if all fails
    There are just so may places to go with that............Hehehehehe

As I remember a couple of the commemorative 94's had pistol grip stocks. Try Numrich and check under the commemorative 94 parts. There may be what you are looking for, though most had some medallion or some such in the side of the stock. Or change out the lower tang and lever to a straight grip.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I'll give Numrich a look. The gun is a beater for sure and a restore would be a waste of good money.It is good enough to clean up as a good shooter

Amigo, you might want to try Bob gun shop. He lists model 64 same as earyl 94's?? If nothing else give him a call.

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/

Might have what you want

Mark

Tried Bobs but it needs to be old 94 with pistol grip,thanks

Tried Bobs but it needs to be old 94 with pistol grip,thanks
    I seem to recall some plastice stocks that might work for you....Ramline maybe?

Macon gunstocks probably has a semi inlet. They are about 75% or so done, but a handy guy ought to be able to do a decent job for a beater gun in a pretty short time. They are fairly reasonable pricewise if you get plain wood. Sure would beat using it like a pistol, even though it probably won't match unless you get a forend as well.

Numrick is out Macon next try.PGW looks like another good chance

The stocks and other parts are a little different on early 94 pistol grips than 64's. The 64's are a tighter curve.

What year was your gun made? The stocks are the same for late pre-64's and post 64's where they meet the reciever, earlier guns had a different detail on the upper tang right beside the hammer where it's wide. A later stock will go on an early gun, but will leave a gap on the sides on an early gun.

If you don't find anything by June or July, I generally make the Winchester shows in Cody. There's usually parts of all sorts there.

What happened to the stock that was on it?

This is a good reference for dates of manufacture. Most published dates are off by a few years on early guns. Newer information has made the dates more accurate.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...0e69f8115213e1

Default Give these guys a shot

http://www.wenig.com/
    I've had real good service from these folks, their wood is good, in several grades, and in several levels of completion/finish. Contact 'em and see what they say.
    There were so few Model 64's produced that finding a take-off used buttstock is going to be really, really tough.

Give these folks a call. They don't list the 64 at the moment, but I'd be real surprised if they couldn't turn one out for you: Boyd's Gunstocks

I've used them for years, and always topnotch products and service.

The gun was built in 1948Boyd's does not want to make it without the gun do to lack of drawings. The oringal stock was cut off at about six inches so a transplant may well happen. I'm fixing a bunch of native family guns and all have broken stocks,they gave me the 64

I would guess they could do it with just the lower tang. All else is the same as a regular 94, including the lower tang inletting, it just has the pistol grip coming down. The lower tang is flat on the inside, and widens to form the pistol grip. I have a 64 stock somebody cut the pistol grip off of to use on a regular straight grip 94. Fits fine in that regard.

The rest of the stock shape is pretty much the same as an early (twenties or earlier) shotgun butt.

You may be able to find replacement used butt stocks on the leverguns forum for some of those other guns. I'd try a "want to buy" ad in their classifieds section. May be a good idea for your 64 stock also.